Sony acquires Insomniac Games

MidnightDragon

I'm good with it. 

Currently playing Ratchet & Clank 2016, and I love it. So bring on a sequel!  Also we need a Resistance 4. It's long over due. 

Though it could be awhile...Insomniac said they got right to work on the Spider-Man sequel, so that will likely be the next game we see from them, which I'm also okay with.

9 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I wonder if finally bringing the resistance trilogy to ps4 is now in the works.

Ohhh that would be sweet! It’s weird how relatively few people have played those games, given how the first one was a PS3 launch title if I recall correctly. Fingers crossed for a remaster, but not holding my breath tbh.

8 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just want more Cratchets! (Ratchet & Clank)

Not sure how likely that is now... or ever was going to be after the mediocre movie/game reboot (seen the movie, have yet to replay the game), but I've remained hopeful for many years.

You know what? Those games are the only ones that I really really miss from the PS3 era (I absolutely *hated* the original trilogy remaster for PS3 though). The PS4 game is great fun, you really should play it. If you have been on Plus for ages like me you even got it for free. 

I do hope for more Cratchers, I just don’t know if people nowadays still play these type of games...  I’d settle for remasters of the PS3 games. Given that the PS4 game was a reboot, zero chance. 

Edited by Sifferino

I'm guessing with MS picking up studios left and right, Sony decided they better pick up a few before the competition did. This is a safe acquisition though, I would have preferred it if they made a lesser known or more ambitious one instead.

Not really big on Sunset Overdrive, the game was funny but the  rail grinding everywhere mechanic got really old really fast

13 minutes ago, EightBitArtist said:

my guess what bluepoint is working on is a demons souls remake.

Yeah that seems to be what a lot of people are speculating on.

Why does everyone think anything Resistance related will happen now? Sony retained the rights to the IP not Insomniac. That means they've had it for years now without doing anything with it. Resistance 3 was a financial failure, so I don't think we'll see Insomniac abandon Spider-Man to go make another Resistance title anytime soon and that's even if Sony lets them work on another one. 

Hopefully, this means Sunset Overdrive is finally coming to PS4. I'm fine with them not making a new Resistance game, but I wouldn't mind them bringing the trilogy to the PS4. Although I wonder if they would end up bringing the old Ratchet and Clank to PS4 like what ND did to Jak and Daxter.

19 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Sunset Drive on PS4 or PS5, perhaps?

Xbox will have a contract with Insomniac until the end of the gen I reckon. Because Insomniac does in fact own the Sunset Overdrive IP. So maybe they will make Sunset Overdrive 2 for PS5 with a remaster of the first game for pre-order of the Super Awesome Chocolaty Fudge Edition

19 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Huh? I liked the game well enough. I just hate forced playthroughs, but eventually I'll go for the plats. I liked the reboot more than the PS3 game. 

20 hours ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I've not seen the movie but the game was far from mediocre. It sold better then expected, reviewed well and it is pretty much a given at this point that a sequel to the reboot is in the works.

My understanding from friends who played it (even one who loves the series and only bought her PS4 to play that game and has played nothing in the years since) was that it was a pretty direct remake of the original first game, with nothing new or exciting added.  While that doesn't bother me, I have seen the film, which was sadly mediocre.  I liked the first game when I played it many years ago, but an exact recreation, even if it reviewed well, is nothing to write home about.  Personally, I loved the new innovation in the later R&C games and have been hoping to see more of that.  The original trilogy was good, but the later stuff was better.  Reverting back to the way it used to be isn't the right move, imo.  I WILL play this game, I just have a backlog of 100+ games, so it's taking a while.  And on the note of it selling better than expected, you know that this game was not only bundled with the PS4 slim releases (which is why I have a disc version of it), but it was also given away for free on PS+?  Those count as sales since Sony pays the devs in both of those scenarios, even if the consumer doesn't pay directly (you still bought the console/+ sub).  So it's a very easy way to inflate numbers.

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

My understanding from friends who played it (even one who loves the series and only bought her PS4 to play that game and has played nothing in the years since) was that it was a pretty direct remake of the original first game, with nothing new or exciting added.  While that doesn't bother me, I have seen the film, which was sadly mediocre.  I liked the first game when I played it many years ago, but an exact recreation, even if it reviewed well, is nothing to write home about.  Personally, I loved the new innovation in the later R&C games and have been hoping to see more of that.  The original trilogy was good, but the later stuff was better.  Reverting back to the way it used to be isn't the right move, imo.  I WILL play this game, I just have a backlog of 100+ games, so it's taking a while.  And on the note of it selling better than expected, you know that this game was not only bundled with the PS4 slim releases (which is why I have a disc version of it), but it was also given away for free on PS+?  Those count as sales since Sony pays the devs in both of those scenarios, even if the consumer doesn't pay directly (you still bought the console/+ sub).  So it's a very easy way to inflate numbers.

Ratchet and Clank was basically a Disney/Pixar animated movie with bad acting. Not much different from your typical Dreamworks and Nickelodeon production. However video game films have a long history of sucking, so I wasn't surprised to see the Ratchet film getting bad reviews.

Assassins Creed was an alright movie, definitely one of the better films based off a video game franchise.

3 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

And on the note of it selling better than expected, you know that this game was not only bundled with the PS4 slim releases (which is why I have a disc version of it), but it was also given away for free on PS+?  Those count as sales since Sony pays the devs in both of those scenarios, even if the consumer doesn't pay directly (you still bought the console/+ sub).  So it's a very easy way to inflate numbers.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/spider-man-has-won-37-e3-awards-out-of-47-nominations-this-year.52937/page-10#post-10032097

3 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

As someone who literally just got the Platinum in R&C 2016 like 20 minutes ago...I'm not sure what your friend was talking about. It's not as "direct remake" as you might think. There were enough differences that they could make a sequel off of it and it not have to be a remake of Going Commando. As for gameplay...it's NOTHING like the original. It takes everything Insomniac has incorporated over the years and meshes it into something new that works beautifully with stunning polish. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 1:13 PM, EightBitArtist said:

sony tried to acquire insomniac before. i wonder if the massive success of spider-man pushed them over the edge to finally get bought out. i hope sony acquires blue point as well.

I think it has more to do with Insomniac's flops without Sony than success with Sony. They became what they are today basically being 2nd party exclusively for Sony. Then they went for "freedom" and released some VR games which I doubt lit the world on fire [particularly when PS VR leads the pack sales wise and none of Insomniac's VR games were on PS VR], they had a flopped facebook/mobile game, Fuse (lol), Sunset Overdrive is probably their biggest "success" story and it didn't light the world on fire either. Oh and that Gamestop exclusive/published game.

Hope we get a R&C Future Saga release (with all 4 games). I'd love to get a platinum out of Tools of Destruction, and at least a 100% out of Quest for Booty.

11 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Incorrect. It's presented from Qwark's pov as he's sitting in prison (iirc). 

Yes, but it's not handled as well as it could have been.

21 hours ago, Champ147 said:

This is great news. Outside of Sony acquiring an excellent studio with many IP's I'd like to see more of (Ratchet and Clank and Resistance especially) this, more than anything shows they not getting to complacent. Sony is still working to try and stay on top in this so called gaming battleground. Microsoft and even Nintendo started picking up additional third party developers to better their portfolios, now it's Sony's turn. 

Sony already owned everything they worked with Insomniac on... that's why they tried the independent route. To own their IP. And they got Fuse [lol] and Sunset Overdrive out of it. Not sure who owns their VR stuff though. Or that 2D game they made with GameStop. I'd imagine they do. But I doubt that will amount to much for Sony.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

RARE made 100% exclusive games for Nintendo until Microsoft bought them up...so just because you have a good partnership doesn't mean that lasts forever.

Insomniac lost the rights to Spyro and Activision made a fortune off of that brand.

Insomniac made Song of the Deep and Fuse multiplatform. They made Sunset Overdrive, Edge of Nowhere and other games exclusive for other platformers (not Sony).

So if RARE can be bought away from Nintendo what makes you think Insomniac couldn't as well?

Nintendo owned 49% of Rare actually. It's just that MS bought the 51% from the (iirc) brothers who owned the rest and that's controlling interest. There's little option left at that point but to give it up. The talent bled out anyway so it was just a name and properties. Unfortunate, but that's business.

As we await MORE deleted posts from the haters...

Image result for just wait for it meme

Insomniac was my 2nd favorite PSOne developer (behind only Polyphony Digital), Although they have/had a great working relationship with Naughty Dog, I personally felt their games were above and beyond anything starring a tornado-spinning Bandicoot could offer. Theirs was the 1st PS3 game I bought (Resistance: FoM) totally blind...didn't know anything about it...just that Insomniac was the developer and that was enough...When the announced they were going multiplatform I was very sad and had many a drink in recollection and sorrow.

Today, I've had many a drink in celebration and happiness...and if you've not figured it out...I can find just about any reason to have many drinks....

Image result for celebration drinks meme

13 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Sony buys Insomniac: everyone celebrates!

Sony and Disney at a troubling impasse meaning Tom Holland's Spider-Man could be no more: everyone cries

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/20/20825580/marvel-studios-future-spider-man-films-disney-sony-fight-kevin-feige-mcu

perfectly-balanced-as-all-things-should-

This is just a ploy to give Sony leverage over the gross. I highly doubt they'll take their ball and go home and leave billions on the table