Spider-Man no longer in the MCU.

Wolvie_181

I hope this doesn't affect Sony being able to make the next couple of Spiderman games. No idea what kind of deal they signed. I can understand Disney wanting a bigger cut but 50/50 is too much. They already earn all the money from merchandising and I'm sure that worth way more than what they would make from the movie. Hopefully something will still be worked out.

• Like 3

Having only really gone "all in" on the MCU following Infinity War (and playing a lot of catch up between then and Endgame)... I don't really feel strongly about this.  The MCU was always going to have a tough time recreating lightning in a bottle like they had the past ~10 years as actors/actresses move on, get written out, awkwardly transition to Disney+ exclusive television shows, and leave those shoes to fill.  Losing Spider-Man is basically just the icing on the cake.

EDIT: I'm fine with stopping at Endgame, on a personal level, as far as seriously following the MCU goes.  Probably will be the case regardless of what happens here.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

TBF that movie had a stupidly higher budget anyway ($255-290M) compared to FFH ($160M), neither would have made the money back domestically if you count in marketing costs.

Even with Marvel out of the picture they still have a much more competent team than they did with the ASM movies, and you can't honestly believe Sony was going to take the cut Disney was putting on the table (50/50!?).

I really doubt it will just end like this, if anything Marvel probably leaked this information to provoke a backlash against Sony, as everyone knows how rabid the MCU fans are. The negative press has been gigantic and instant, and even though Disney submitted a laughable offer to Sony, they can walk away without any real criticism of how they handled it.

Does Sony Pictures suck ass at making quality movies? Unfortunately yes.

Can I blame them for turning down this offer? Hell no.

50% of "Far From home"s 1.1 billion dollar gross is 550 mil, almost as much money as "TASM 2"s entire gross of 700 mil, plus they are planning on re-releasing FFH into theaters to make even more money. Not to mention sony is giving up other benefits of being hooked up with the MCU, like crossover films. Captain America: Civil War did better than any Spidey movie. Idk i guess none of that stacks up to what they think they would lose in that 50/50 split.

Regardless, I wasn't really commenting on the money aspect of it anyway. I just know that as a consumer, I am probably going to recieve sub-par Spidey movies now, which blows. TASM movies sucked and I don't want to see Spidey in that low place again is all.

Edited by danceswithsloths
typo, wrote 650 when i meant 550, and wrote thousand when i meant million

I'm of the mindset that it's best to wait before decrying this news. After all, the thought of such a deal existing in the first place was crazier than the idea of Sony and Marvel reaching a new agreement in the near future.

But, I will say this - If they can't come to some sort of agreement just as J. Jonah has finally made his way into the MCU, I will be forever pissed.

I don't mind this since I've lost all interest in the MCU after Endgame, but Sony will really need to step up their game to deliver a good Spider-Man film. I would love if Sony just gave us a Spider-Man 4 with Raimi and Tobey Maguire, but I doubt that. Still, I think Sony has the potential to make a Spider-Man universe that can be far more interesting than anything the MCU can offer at this point. We could also see Spider-Man and Venom face off in a future Venom film (if Venom continues to do well).

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion: I prefer Tobey/Garfield over Holland. Another unpopular opinion: I really dislike Holland's supporting characters, especially MJ. So losing this version of Spider-Man from the MCU doesn't really affect me. FFH had some great bits with Mysterio, but the rest I couldn't care less for, especially with Pete's age difference with the rest of the Avengers... Also doesn't help that that 5 year break in between his death and reappearance could've been the time for Silk to gain some screen time. 

That said, I'll still rate any of the Spider-Man films above Spider-Man 2, as I really fucking hate Otto. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Unpopular opinion: I prefer Tobey/Garfield over Holland. Another unpopular opinion: I really dislike Holland's supporting characters, especially MJ. So losing this version of Spider-Man from the MCU doesn't really affect me. FFH had some great bits with Mysterio, but the rest I couldn't care less for, especially with Pete's age difference with the rest of the Avengers... Also doesn't help that that 5 year break in between his death and reappearance could've been the time for Silk to gain some screen time. 

That said, I'll still rate any of the Spider-Man films above Spider-Man 2, as I really fucking hate Otto. 

I'm with you on this, i don't like MJ at all in the MCU Spiderman movies. Jake Gyllenhall was the best part of FFH.

• Like 3

I think Insomniac made a great Spiderman. Not a fan of any Spiderman movie, but I do like the character. Also J.K. Simmons is fantastic.

MJ and other supporting characters are annoying! Jake Gyllenhaal was great though. Seriously could have cut half the cast and FFH could have been better.

I liked the first Avengers movie, then it all went downhill from there. I enjoy Deadpool and Guardians. Thing with Guardians though, I actually hate having other MCU characters around them. It doesn't fit! Seem so out of place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyMason said:

It's all relative though isn't it? The first (2002) Spider-Man movie has made more than FFH when adjusted for inflation. That and Spider-Man 2 (let's forget about 3 for a second...), btw, were superior movies to the two new ones as well IMO.

True, but that was before the market was flooded with superhero films, and I'm just not sure if they can pull off that magic again. I'll keep my fingers crossed though, cuz the original two movies were fantastic. I probably like the new ones better personally but that's all just opinion anyway.

I agree that the ASM movies were ass, but Sony also produced the Spider-verse movie - which was great, and Venom as well, which, while shit, is the kind of edgy experiment that would have not come to pass if Disney had more of their fingers in these pies. Disney wasn't asking for just 50/50 of the Tom Holland movies, they were asking for a deal for ALL of the related license movie stuff. While Sony has produced some shit with this license, they also got this superhero crap rolling, and they've also taken it to more interesting places than Disney ever would have.

Again, very true, and Spider-verse was sooo good, you also have to consider that Disney is Marvel now too, and this is Marvel's character to begin with, so really they got the superhero stuff rolling long before Sony ever bought the IP. Disney was certainly asking a very steep price and the business execs who made the decision definitely know better than I do, so you're probably right that this is the better decision when considered from a business perspective, but It's sad to see it go this way for sure.

And I can live without the MCU crossover stuff. If I go to watch a Spider-Man movie, I'm expecting it to be about, y'know Spider-Man. Not Iron Man.

I like the team ups, I loved them in comics when I was a kid so I love them now in the movies too. Spider-Man and Wolverine are the absolute best together in some of the comics I used to read, and I was really hoping to see that in movie form. But again, that's all just opinion anyway. The team up movies definitely make money though was more my point. Not sure how much money Sony saw from Spidey's appearance in Civil War and Avengers but I'm sure it was a chunk. Apparently not enough though. :/

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KainDMD said:

WTF is this comment supposed to be? What don't you understand about my comment? I hate that cringy ass spiderman and now there is no more spiderman S FUCKING YES!

What you don't understand is that there will be Spiderman movies, just not in MCU universe. Don't be egoistic, what you hate others may love.

Edited by Varhur
  • Like 2

Disney pushed too hard and Sony took their ball and left. That's business. Don't think this is the end though because I'm sure they'll work out an arrangement I the end anyway especially if Sony wants to make a sequel to their Spider-Man game because Disney still has the gaming rights