ABC of Unstarted Games 2020 (Sign-Ups Closed)

3 hours ago, iXanon said:

@Neocarleen

Apologies if you've already advised you're waiting until BF / Xmas sales to post a list (it would have taken more time than I have available to check).

Just thought I would give you a nudge.. 1f607.png

Yes, I am waiting for the Christmas sale and/or mid-December so I have a better idea what my full backlog will be to make a list from.

Thanks for the nudge though. I'll let you know when my list will be ready ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PermaFox said:

Not really warmed up about allowing swaps, but would be interested if we can put down a backup game for the same letter.  That way either game will count towards that particular letter if completed?

How would people feel if I allowed 3 backup games, which must again be nominated before starting the event, which can be used as a swap at any point?

I feel like this could be a reasonable compromise, and still in the spirit of the challenge? ..and yes, I can add an award for completed lists using no swaps.

Edited by iXanon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, iXanon said:

How would people feel if I allowed 3 backup games, which must again be nominated before starting the event, which can be used as a swap at any point?

I feel like this could be a reasonable compromise, and still in the spirit of the challenge? ..and yes, I can add an award for completed lists using no swaps.

I think that it would be ok, specially if you add that award. 

28 minutes ago, iXanon said:

I'm okay with having the option for a maximum of 3 backup games. Would the backup games only apply for the letter they start with or can be used for any letter?

I feel like I heard the idea for a no swap award from somebody earlier. 

48 minutes ago, iXanon said:

I like it!  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iXanon said:

I like this idea because it allows some leeway when it comes to the uncertainty of sales and new releases. I'm not sure how you're defining "unstarted games," but I'm assuming not everybody currently owns every game on their list. For me anyway, I have several games I want to play, but the ultimate deciding factor will be price. If I can't get Persona 5 for a good price (or if the Royal edition keeps getting pushed back), I don't want to feel obligated to break the bank just so I can have a completed list. Also, you have to consider that many of the participants in this event will also be taking part in other community events, so they might want options for double dipping.

I don't even know if 3 backup games are necessary. Just having one or two alternatives would alleviate a lot of concerns, I think.

8 minutes ago, AuroraHistoire said:

I'm okay with having the option for a maximum of 3 backup games. Would the backup games only apply for the letter they start with or can be used for any letter?

I feel like I heard the idea for a no swap award from somebody earlier. 

So many decisions!! ?

It sounds like people are after a bit more leeway, so my gut says to allow them for any letter. Makes it all the more tempting, and therefore less people are likely to attain the no-swap award to be added - and yes, I think it was suggested earlier.

If this proves to be unpopular (it doesn't seem like it?), it can be tweaked / scrapped.

10 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I like this idea because it allows some leeway when it comes to the uncertainty of sales and new releases. I'm not sure how you're defining "unstarted games," but I'm assuming not everybody currently owns every game on their list. For me anyway, I have several games I want to play, but the ultimate deciding factor will be price. If I can't get Persona 5 for a good price (or if the Royal edition keeps getting pushed back), I don't want to feel obligated to break the bank just so I can have a completed list. Also, you have to consider that many of the participants in this event will also be taking part in other community events, so they might want options for double dipping.

I don't even know if 3 backup games are necessary. Just having one or two alternatives would alleviate a lot of concerns, I think.

@iXanon  I agree with @Cassylvania.  I think just 1 or 2 backups is all that is needed.  I also don't own any  of the games on my list - I'm hoping for sales.

• Like 1

I'm starting to load up the games on my list in prep for the challenge.. ?

--EDIT--

All done barring Batman: Arkham Asylum which refuses to show until I earn a trophy (I've previously loaded it and deleted it at 0%).

Edited by iXanon

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Batman: The Telltale Series

Control

Dragon Quest XI

Erica

Full Throttle Remastered

Gris

Here They Lie

<=> Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice + Yoku's Island Express

J <=> Dragon Quest Builders 2

Knack

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Never Alone

Observation

Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness

Q.U.B.E. Director’s Cut

Resident Evil 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

The Unfinished Swan

Uncanny Valley

V <=> Burly Men at Sea + The Sims 4

W <=> Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered + Shenmue III

Xeodrifter

Yakuza 0

Z <=> Moonlighter + Stranger Things 3: The Game

Absolutely not. There's not a CHANCE I'm getting all of these done. But hey, it'll be fun to try! :D

Hopefully I compiled it okay. I had one unreleased game in here (Cyberpunk 2077) but decided against it. I had plenty of C-games to choose from!

Edit: Final List! Swapped Costume Quest 2 with Control. Swapped Escape Plan with Erica. Swapped Resident Evil HD with Resident Evil 2. Swapped Onrush with Observation. Swapped Iconoclasts with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice + Yoku's Island Express. Swapped Guacamelee with Gris. Finally, the list is mostly composed of games I actually WANT to play.

Edited by SupergiantStarr
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, iXanon said:

@gazdavis11 @Sofa King @Neocarleen @Matto_lsi @SupergiantStarr @Lorajet @Cassylvania

Apologies if you've already advised you're waiting until BF / Xmas sales to post a list (it would have taken more time than I have available to check).

Just thought I would give you a nudge.. ?

Sorry!  Still looking at the sales to see what to throw on the list!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ya, I'm likely one of the few that are doing it the other way around and actually owns most of the games in the list..

That's what I did too, but only because the current rules seem more supportive of people who want to work on games they already own than games they want to buy. Take T, for example. I put down Transistor because I got it for free from PS+ and it looks interesting enough that I'd play it for this event, but there are several T games I'd rather play that I don't own. Do I pick one of those, forcing myself to buy a game that may or may not be on sale all year, or lock myself into a game that might only be my third or fourth choice for that letter? Similarly, there are games like Empire of Sin and Elden Ring that may come out next year -- and would certainly be better choices right now for E than any other game I can think of -- but what if they bomb? I don't want to feel obligated to buy a game if it turns out to be something I don't want to play.

In short, I think my list now is more reflective of games I'd be willing to play than games I'd want to play, as paying full price for 20+ games is asking a lot.

Edited by Cassylvania

6 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ya, I'm likely one of the few that are doing it the other way around and actually owns most of the games in the list.. 

I do prefer to use as much from my backlog as possible (and it is huge..). 

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

That's what I did too, but only because the current rules seem more supportive of people who want to work on games they already own than games they want to buy. Take T, for example. I put down Transistor because I got it for free from PS+ and it looks interesting enough that I'd play it for this event, but there are several T games I'd rather play that I don't own. Do I pick one of those, forcing myself to buy a game that may or may not be on sale all year, or lock myself into a game that might only be my third or fourth choice for that letter? Similarly, there are games like Empire of Sin and Elden Ring that may come out next year -- and would certainly be better choices right now for E than any other game I can think of -- but what if they bomb? I don't want to feel obligated to buy a game if it turns out to be something I don't want to play.

In short, I think my list now is more reflective of games I'd be willing to play than games I'd want to play, as paying full price for 20+ games is asking a lot.

..and the current rules are more supportive of it, because it was the intention of the challenge ?

I have a list of 400+ unstarted games, and figured that something like this was the perfect way to both deter me from purchasing more games, and to finally start tackling the chronic backlog.

@iXanon ya, I think that was the initial spirit of the event too.

@Cassylvania I do support the idea of Transistor, the game was quite fun, specially for someone that likes the mix of active strategy + turn base style (kind of like Valkyria Chronicles). I think that the game did use something like that for the fighting. 

• Like 2

• You MAY swap your games prior to starting the event as much as you like, but NOT once the event has started
    • **LATE ADDITION** You may nominate 3 "backup" games that can be used for swaps against ANY letter during the challenge - without penalty
      • These games MUST be declared prior to the event start
      • An award will be given to participants who do NOT utilise this

Apologies if this rule change causes a headache with reworking any lists. If it proves to be an unpopular change it can be tweaked/scrapped.

Reason for the change - Recently it has been discussed that a bit more leeway was needed concerning swaps during the challenge, whether this due to server shutdowns, unobtainable trophies, unreleased games being delayed, or simply a change of heart. Hopefully this alleviates these concerns.

Thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iXanon said:

..and the current rules are more supportive of it, because it was the intention of the challenge ?

The intention of the challenge was for players to own every game on their list prior to 2020? I know for me (and I'm assuming others), my "backlog" is an Amazon wish list. Yes, I have a few games in my PS4 downloads folder, but not for every letter of the alphabet. I think that's ultimately what has turned a few people off to this idea. If the intention is for players to specifically focus on a list of games they already own but haven't gotten to yet, then the alphabet challenge isn't really necessary. It could have just been, "Pick ten games from your shelf and complete them by the end of 2020." I don't think anybody would complain about that. But once you start introducing the additional challenge, I think a lot of people aren't going to have enough qualifying games for every letter, so you're asking them to make a commitment to both the game and the purchase (up to 26 times).

Three backup games is pretty generous. Hopefully that encourages more people to join.

I'll have an updated list soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The intention of the challenge was for players to own every game on their list prior to 2020? I know for me (and I'm assuming others), my "backlog" is an Amazon wish list. Yes, I have a few games in my PS4 downloads folder, but not for every letter of the alphabet. I think that's ultimately what has turned a few people off to this idea. If the intention is for players to specifically focus on a list of games they already own but haven't gotten to yet, then the alphabet challenge isn't really necessary. It could have just been, "Pick ten games from your shelf and complete them by the end of 2020." I don't think anybody would complain about that. But once you start introducing the additional challenge, I think a lot of people aren't going to have enough qualifying games for every letter, so you're asking them to make a commitment to both the game and the purchase (up to 26 times).

Three backup games is pretty generous. Hopefully that encourages more people to join.

I'll have an updated list soon.

There was never "an additional" challenge that required us to own all games before 2020, it's just a take some of us are doing, because we actually have the actual games in the backlog and a wishlist (like you), so, I think that it's logical for those of us who actually already have tons of games in our collection, that we would try to play as much of those as we can, and only buy more if we are missing an entry or something. 

• Like 1

Actually, there are games I always wanted but I am too cheap to pick up.  I like this event because it gives me a reason to go ahead and buy them.  Will I complete every game on my list?  Probably only in my dreams, but I'll have a lot of fun trying and reading what other players are doing!  I hope as people finish their games they put in one sentence a thought or two about the game!!  

• Like 1

So, you know how I wrote earlier how I wasn't going to change my list....I did. I changed my E, J and another letter I've forgotten to add in more of my backlog. I think I'm good at the moment. Anyway, my goal is to try to get to the longer and more difficult games out of the way. I might try Catherine, among easier games, in January.