ABC of Unstarted Games 2020 (Sign-Ups Closed)

Got another done.  Zombie Tycoon II has been completed so I'm up to 3! (cue dramatic victory music)

After losing a month, I'm not sure I'll make it in the end given the time commitment of several of the titles but we'll give it a shot!

A-Z Status

Spoiler
A - Atelier Totori Plus
B - Baldur's Gate   (25%)
C - Catherine
D - Dragon's Crown
E - (The) Evil Within
F - Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
G - Gravity Rush Remastered
H - Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
I - Infamous First Light
J - Journey
K - Killer Is Dead
L - Lost Sea
M - MediEvil :platinum:  ( 13 Apr 20  1f4af.png )
N - Nioh
O - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
P - Persona 4 Golden  (14%)
Q - Queen's Quest 3 :platinum:  ( 2 Jan 20  1f4af.png )
R - Record of Agarest War
S - Salt & Sanctuary
T - Torment: Tides of Numenara
U - Unmechanical Extended
V - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
W - Wasteland 2
X - Xeodrifter
Y - Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
Z - Zombie Tycoon II :platinum: ( 20 Apr 20  1f4af.png )

• Like 4

Finished Yooka Laylee, fun game, nostalgic actually, loved banjo and dk64 (ikr) so this was a good reminder of it, not sure why everyone hate that much on the game, I think it was because of the camera, it's fixed right now so I didn't have any problems. Recommended if you like platform games, also if you need some color in your life. 

Gonna pause the event for a little bit, just becuase I'm helping a friend with Doom and I'm gonna plat it too, after that I guess I'll start Dark Souls.

• Like 3

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping themself out of harms way e.g. in front of the console! 

No update for me at all to show, had a rough time work wise so not played most of March. Got back on it this month and finished story in Rise of the Tomb Raider which isn't on my list. Just installing Infinite Warfare to get back on it.

• Like 4

Coming Back From Bullet Hell

27L5a163e.png

I've completed Touhou Genso Rondo, Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner and 198X since my last update. I'm pretty excited about how well I'm doing since I've completed the game I was worried the most about. I only have 16 games left to complete. Most of them are long RPGs, so it will take me a little while. 

Touhou Genso Rondo was the one game I was extremely worried about because it had the potential to kill the whole run. Touhou games tend be bullet hell games to at least some degree and I'm not very good at them. Genso Rondo is a bullet hell fighting game; for the record, I'm not particularly good at fighting games either. The controls for Genso Rondo are rather simple with no complex button combinations. The fights consist of both players firing barrages of colorful bullets at each other while trying to dodge as many as possible. There is the option of melee attacking too. Spell Cards are also part of the battles. Either player can use one if they spend a bomb and their special meter. You enter a special mode where the user gets to launch really flashy and difficult to dodge attacks without taking any damage while the other player does their best to not get hit. Spell Cards last until time runs out or the defending player reduces the attackers HP to zero; the attacker doesn't take any actual damage during Spell Cards but the defending player does. Another cool mechanic is that once a player's HP hits zero, the screen gets cleared of all bullets and they're still in the fight until they get hit by 1 attack.

The story is... there really isn't one. There is a story mode but each character gets they're own unique story, where they fight every other character in the roster for various reasons. They're all entertaining. You are required to play them all for trophies. You're also required to beat 7 characters in a row with every character (excluding DLC characters) in arcade mode, beat 10 characters in a row in boss rush with every character and win 10 multiplayer matches (local or online or a blend of the two).

All the characters are fairly balanced compared to each other and the controls are universal. Utsuho is clearly the strongest character in the game but playing against her isn't too difficult if you keep your distance. Everyone else is pretty much on par with each other;  with their own individual strengths and weaknesses.

Story mode and Arcade mode where not very difficult for me. Boss Rush mode was very difficult though. Boss Rush is basically just surviving a character's spell card for 20 seconds or reducing their HP to zero. It doesn't very difficult but surviving Spell Cards requires you're bullet hell skills to be at their best. Surviving one a match is very difficult; you recover 20% of your HP between matches and will recover a bomb every 3 matches. Bombs are great because they basically make you invincible for a few seconds. You will recover additional HP if you defeat your opponent instead of just surviving the 20 seconds; you recover an additional 5% at most. Attacking makes it harder to see and caused me to just get hit more so it wasn't worth trying with most characters. Most of the character roster has the potential to end your run if you're not careful. I pretty much learned every character's attacks & patterns, and it still took a bit of luck for me to "beat" ten characters in a row.

Moving on to Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. I really enjoyed the first game and the second one was mostly the same as the first. It's a bit more linear I feel. The missions where you had to not cause property damage where still a thing in a very small capacity and were not as terrible as before. Two playthroughs are required to complete the trophy list. It took me three playthroughs because I'm bad at finding collectables. It didn't really bother me because the game is very short; 5 hours with cutscenes and 2 hours without.

198X gets the medal for being the shortest game of the update. I took a little over an hour to finish the game if I include watching the credits. In 198X, you play brief games inspired by arcade games from the 80s and listen to a teenager monologue about their uninteresting life between games. The trophy list will pad out the games length by a lot. You are required to beat every game without getting hit or with only one life. It took me about three and a half hours to get enough to get good enough to get all the trophies. I did take a break to eat a nice breakfast.

The full list of my accomplishments and my future accomplishments is in the spoiler tag. Hopefully my own hubris doesn't screw me over in the future. I'm not out of wood yet as far as difficult games are concerned, so I shouldn't be celebrating like I've already won just yet. 

Spoiler

198X (PS4)
A Rose in the Twilight (Vita)
Broforce (PS4)

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online (PS4)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Everybody's Golf (PS4)
Fallout 4 (PS4)
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (PS4) 
htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (PS4)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (Vita)

Infinifactory (PS4)
Just Cause 3 (PS4)
Jet Set Radio (Vita)
King's Quest: The Complete Collection (PS4)

L.A. Noire (PS4)
Megadimension Neptunia VII (PS4)
Ninja Pizza Girl (PS4)
Nekopara Vol. 3 (PS4)

Oddworld New 'n Tasty (PS4) 
Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4) 
Psychonauts (PS4) 
Quest of Dungeons (PS4)
Quantum Conundrum (PS3)
Riddled Corpses EX (Vita)
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (PS3) 
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls (Vita)
Spyro the Dragon (PS4)  
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (PS4) 
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon (PS4)

Trinity Universe (PS3) 
Touhou Genso Rondo (PS4) 
Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity (PS4)
Uncanny Valley (PS4)
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4) 
WILL: A Wonderful World (PS4)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (PS4)
Xeodrifter (PS4) 
Yomawari: Night Alone (Vita) 
Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (Vita)
Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3) 
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD Edition (PS3)   

+ Persona 3 FES but it doesn't really count since it doesn't have a trophy list.

• Like 4

Time for another update!

This week I really started getting into the second Zero Escape game bundled in The Nonary Games- Virtue's Last Reward (VLR). In my previous posts I expressed a bit of uncertainty about how I felt about it, considering the different direction it has taken from the first. Interestingly enough in some of the text in game it refers to the first game as a "sister title" rather than a prequel of sorts.

I'm happy to report that having played a bit more of it now, especially when I hit the first few 'locks', and saw some endings, I can see things starting to fit into place, and I've gotten back that drive to really see the full thing through. It does a lot of different stuff to the first game, but I'm starting not to mind so much. The branching story in this one relies on you jumping around the branches to learn little tidbits of information you wouldn't have otherwise known, as opposed to reaching all the way to the end and then starting over to see different choices- a new concept for me. It's quite interesting as my character can unexplainably (as of yet) remember pieces of information from other timelines that I can use to unlock 'locks' (a point in the story I can't otherwise complete without learning a piece of information (the 'key') from another timeline). Of course I know I'm jumping around, but my character is visibly confused as to how he knows certain things, or remembers going to places he hasn't in the current timeline. The only nuisance thing here is that the game at one point assumes I took one branch before I took another- i.e. one of the other characters in the game appears to be able to view other timelines as well, and in one part of the game, justified a choice they had made as being based on a choice I would make in a separate timeline, a timeline that I had not yet explored. It made me feel a little cheated considering my first choice had been the exact opposite.

The game does a good job at not making me repeat very much- different doors open in different timelines, which leads to different puzzle rooms. The characters I am grouped with also changes up, meaning I get to learn about each of the characters in turn (something that I did not realise at the beginning of the game, as it appeared initially impossible to be ever paired up with certain characters). 

The only other thing that does bother me a little so far is how the game is designed to essentially flip choices to be the opposite no matter which branch I go down- meaning I never win. It often makes the outcomes either worse, or .. much worse. To elaborate, a few portions throughout the game consist of a voting game- the prisoner's dilemma, to be specific. The gist of it is that two prisoners are separated and given a choice to either ally with or betray the other. This choice will determine the length of the sentence they will receive. In short, if both prisoners chose to ally (with each other), they receive a moderate sentence. If one betrays the other, the one who betrays gets a reduced sentence and the other gets a much longer sentence. If both prisoners betray, they both receive the same sentence, which is longer than if they had both allied. The difficulty with this game is that even though the best choice is for both to choose ally, they cannot communicate with each other and will generally instead choose the option that serves to give the most personal benefit (to betray, hoping the other will ally). (This is really interesting stuff, I'd reccomend giving it a google if you're interested so you could have a look at a proper explanation haha).

Anyway, to get back on track, the game uses the prisoner's dilemma to assign points to the characters in the game- however on each branch the game generally flips the choices so that if I choose 'ally', only to find the other character chose betray, if I play the other branch thinking 'well they chose betray, so I will too' I'll vote betray to find the game has flipped the other character's choice to become 'ally'. Often times this doesn't make sense as the game even specifically points out that the other character made their choice BEFORE I did- and so logically their choice should NOT change based on my choice. For this reason as well I am hoping the game will explain this later- since it seems silly to bring attention to it without good reason. And on that note, it better be a GOOD reason, because it seems when I am betrayed, all is quickly forgotten, but if I betray- a lot of branches end with everyone being unforgiving and angry at me. 

The other game I am nearly finished with is How to Train Your Dragon... and oh boy. I *did* have another rant lined up but I think I went on long enough about VLR, and so I may leave my thoughts about this one until I inevitably report the platinum hopefully next week (as I so badly want to be done with this game..).

Again, here's the list, hope everyone is doing well during these times!

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey PS4 - 0%
Batman (Telltale) PS4 - 0%
Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 - 0%
Deus Ex: Human Revolution PS3 - 0%
Erica PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Fallout 3 PS3 - 0%
Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 - 100% :platinum:
How to Train Your Dragon PS3 - >98%
Infamous PS3 - 0%
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS4 - 0%
Kingdom Hearts PS4 - 0%
Late Shift PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Minecraft: Story Mode PS4 - 100% :platinum:
NieR Automata PS4 - 0%
Oxenfree PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight PS4 - 0%
Q.U.B.E 2 PS4 - 0%
Republique PS4 - 0%
Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands PS4 -  100% :platinum:
Trüberbrook PS4 - 0%
Unravel PS4 - 0%
Vampyr PS4 - 0%
Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler PS3 - 0%
XCOM 2 PS4 - 0%
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles PS4 - 0%

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games VITA - >41%

• Like 4

4th title is done, still leaves me with a lot of catch up but at least I'm heading in the right direction.  Unmechanical Extended (PS4) was a really good little puzzle game and a shorter title than most that I have listed.

A-Z Status

Spoiler
A - Atelier Totori Plus
B - Baldur's Gate   (25%)
C - Catherine
D - Dragon's Crown
E - (The) Evil Within
F - Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
G - Gravity Rush Remastered
H - Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
I - Infamous First Light
J - Journey
K - Killer Is Dead
L - Lost Sea
M - MediEvil :platinum:  ( 13 Apr 20  1f4af.png )
N - Nioh
O - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
P - Persona 4 Golden  (14%)
Q - Queen's Quest 3 :platinum:  ( 2 Jan 20  1f4af.png )
R - Record of Agarest War
S - Salt & Sanctuary
T - Torment: Tides of Numenara
U - Unmechanical Extended ( 23 Apr 20  1f4af.png )
V - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
W - Wasteland 2
X - Xeodrifter
Y - Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
Z - Zombie Tycoon II :platinum: ( 20 Apr 20  1f4af.png )

• Like 3

April Update:

Just a handful of days left in April, and I'll only manage to complete half of the letter V: Forgotton Anne. I would've done Hyperdimension Neptunia, but I couldn't get my Vita to charge. I think I'll save that for June because next month will be busy. I plan on starting and completing both FF7 Remake and Tales of Xillia 2. They're both big games, so I'll have to be efficient with my time. I'm still waiting on a 2nd controller for Catherine before I start again. The virus has delayed that bit. Hopefully, I can start again in August.  

• Like 4

#1979 black friday
A- Assassin's creed 2 DONE
B- Bully
C- Cat quest 2 DONE
D- Dead space 2 (GER) DONE
E- The elder scrolls V: skyrim vr DONE
F- Final fantasy 8 DONE
G- God of war (ps3)
H- Harry potter & the half blood prince DONE
I- Illusion of L'Phalcia DONE
J- Jurassic the hunted
K- Kingdoms of amalur reckoning
L- Lord of the rings: Aragorn's quest
M- Mass effect 2 DONE
N- Need for speed: Rivals
O- Obduction
P- Paranormal activity: The lost soul
Q- Quest of dungeons
R- Reverie DONE
S- Saw
T- Tales from the borderlands DONE
U- Uncharted: The lost legacy
V- Vampyr
W- Wanted: Weapons of fate
X- X-blades
Y- Yesterday origins
Z- Zerotopian invasion DONE

11/27 Completed

Completed mass effect 2

• Like 4

Well, I waited until the end of the month to confirm it. No games finished in April :( It hasn't been a fantastic month for me, since I've had so much schoolwork to do thanks to Corona, but hey, that'll all be over shortly into May! Hopefully I'll get a lot more done that month, and it'll be my birthday then too so I'll see if I can pop one for that. Here's hoping.

Not all is lost though. I made a lot of progress in For Honor, and I've gotten almost halfway through Hunted: The Demon's Forge. I suspect the latter will be done at the beginning of May, and the former... well, it'll take a while, but we're getting there. This ain't supposed to be easy after all.

• Like 4

I'm back! And locking in platinum number 7 for the event with How to Train Your Dragon! If you happened to read my last update, I reserved posting my comments on this one until this update just so my post didn't get too long. Well, here we are. Cue rant:

Initially, as a big fan of the series (see profile picture) I was a little ashamed I hadn't yet played this game, especially since it has been on my shelf for basically the entire lifetime of the ps4. I'm wondering now if some otherworldly force had been preventing me from starting this game just to save me from it- because now that I've played most of it... the only word that I can give is... disappointment. Despite bringing in the real voice actors from the movie and admittedly having some pretty decent dragon and character models the game is just sooooooo baaad. Not only this, but terribly inaccurate to the series. Now I get this is meant to be aimed at children... but still, it didn't have to be this bad.

The game is set after the events of the first movie- as explained at the start of the game, and is centered around training up your dragon to fight other dragons in tournaments- which, first off, is basically the opposite of what HTTYD is all about. Not only this but there are some glaringly obvious mistakes- like the terrible yellow colouring of Astrid's hair in cutscenes (not to mention they were fine with putting blonde on other characters- so not sure how they messed Astrid's up so badly) or the fact that Hiccup has both his legs (he loses one at the end of the movie). The village is obviously nothing like the one in the movie either, and despite most notable characters being present, when talking to them at any time they generally have only 1 or 2 different voice lines for the whole game (with the exception of the few that give you quests).

Noww..... I could try to look past all this if the gameplay wasn't also terrible. The dragon fighting involves a series of 1 on 1 fighting game like rounds, where you use combos to execute different moves. There is a series of trainings on each of these combos which would be great- if the game actually properly registered the button presses. I often had to mash the button multiple times for it to register. This meant legitimately performing any combos that included more than one different button was borderline impossible. So when it came time for real tournaments all I really ended up doing was mashing triangle and on occasion actually properly executing the triple triangle combo for stunning an opponent. There are a total of 52 rounds of training PER DRAGON, which is just insane, devolving into a mind numbing mashing of buttons until the other dragon, who generally didn't fight back, was finally k.o'd. Repeat this for 4 dragons as part of a gold trophy for getting them all to max level, and you can see how even if the training was perfect and enjoyable... that is a LOT of matches to have to do, especially when getting the dragons to max level for the trophy still involved 17 other "wild fights" and 15 minigame playthroughs. The minigames were not terrible, involving basic button mashing and memory games.

After 100 arcade fights consisting of the same monotony, and one more dash through of the main story with the opposite character, I was finally done. This week I also continued playing Zero Escape, scooping up a few more trophies to push up that percentage a touch. As I mentioned last week the only thing still bugging me is the game's subtle assumption that I have played the varying story branches in a certain order... but I can look past it, as the concept (to me at least) is definitely quite adventurous and complex to actually execute perfectly.

With another game complete I suppose I'll be looking at what to start next... and with Valhalla just announced and now on the horizon, that may very well be Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Until next week!

The List:

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey PS4 - 0%
Batman (Telltale) PS4 - 0%
Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 - 0%
Deus Ex: Human Revolution PS3 - 0%
Erica PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Fallout 3 PS3 - 0%
Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 - 100% :platinum:
How to Train Your Dragon PS3 - 100% :platinum:
Infamous PS3 - 0%
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS4 - 0%
Kingdom Hearts PS4 - 0%
Late Shift PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Minecraft: Story Mode PS4 - 100% :platinum:
NieR Automata PS4 - 0%
Oxenfree PS4 - 100% :platinum:
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight PS4 - 0%
Q.U.B.E 2 PS4 - 0%
Republique PS4 - 0%
Stranded Sails: Explorers of the Cursed Islands PS4 -  100% :platinum:
Trüberbrook PS4 - 0%
Unravel PS4 - 0%
Vampyr PS4 - 0%
Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler PS3 - 0%
XCOM 2 PS4 - 0%
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles PS4 - 0%

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games VITA - >44%

Edited by igs63
  • Like 4

New update!

I completed the oher 2 PoP games for my Z swap

Pretty easy games but doing multiple playtroughs got boring. Really glad I didn't encounter any major glitches so I didn't have to do more of them.

I also completed The Unfinished Swan.

A very sweet game that I would've liked to be a bit longer. The "Minimalist" trophy took a few tries but was easier than I expected.

I've started and beaten God of War but before I continue it I want to plat the older games first. Only have a few of them left so I should be done soon.

Not sure what I'll play after that but since it still looks like I have to stay home for a while I will have plenty of time to complete a few games.

Completed Letters: E, J, P, U, V, Z

• Like 3

Need for speed Rivals done. Puts me at 12 games finished now, nearly halfway there.

#1979 black friday
A- Assassin's creed 2 DONE
B- Bully
C- Cat quest 2 DONE
D- Dead space 2 (GER) DONE
E- The elder scrolls V: skyrim vr DONE
F- Final fantasy 8 DONE
G- God of war (ps3)
H- Harry potter & the half blood prince DONE
I- Illusion of L'Phalcia DONE
J- Jurassic the hunted
K- Kingdoms of amalur reckoning
L- Lord of the rings: Aragorn's quest
M- Mass effect 2 DONE
N- Need for speed: Rivals DONE
O- Obduction
P- Paranormal activity: The lost soul
Q- Quest of dungeons
R- Reverie DONE
S- Saw
T- Tales from the borderlands DONE
U- Uncharted: The lost legacy
V- Vampyr
W- Wanted: Weapons of fate
X- X-blades
Y- Yesterday origins
Z- Zerotopian invasion DONE

12/27 Completed

Edited by Redbeard-Rik
  • Like 4

Ld84bef.png

S (1 of 1) - South Park: The Fractured But Whole

I'm goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time. Friendly faces everywhere....

So I loved this game. Actually, I had to finish The Stick of Truth before attempting this one but both experiences were genuinely worth it. As the new kid, the way you were integrated into the main cast of the show was perfect and every character from the show was exactly portrayed here without changes. Honestly, this game has the love of its creators and you notice it with just about everything. It's extremely ridiculous (in a good way) and I even recommend the dlc which had zero trophies, but helpful party members to unlock, as worth playing through. Would you really pass up interrupting a birthday party for vampires in a Mexican restaurant and a parody of horror films especially Friday the 13th with the South Park cast? Plus you collect Yaoi art and battle Morgan Freeman in the main game! It's not that long of a game either so this is for sure a positive recommendation and experience to be tried. It's one big episode of South Park and what a feature it was!

• Like 4

AFL Live 2 0 -> 98%
Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
Catherine (PS3)
Dead Nation PS4
eCrossminton 60%
Fast and Furious Showdown  Completed 23 January 2020
Grand Theft Auto IV 85% :platinum:
How to Train Your Dragon 2
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
Just Cause 3 Completed 11 January 2020
Killzone: Shadow Fall 92% :platinum:
Lords of the Fallen  Completed 21 January 2020

Mirror's Edge
Naughty Bear 8%
Oddworld:New 'n' Tasty
Prototype
Quantum Theory
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shadow Warrior
The Sims 3: Pets
Unravel Two
Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
Wasteland 2
X Puppeteer
Yakuza 0 15%
Zombie Tycoon II Completed 2 January 2020

Backups:
Metro: Last Light (PS3)

Wolfenstein II

Slain: Back From Hell

I made no progress the entire month of April, which was actually one of my best trophy hunting months (by volume) in a long time. I was doing uncommon and rare games for Trophy Hunter's League and didn't get around to doing any of these. Upcoming season I'll try to work in more, especially shorter ones like Slain, Unravel Two, Oddworld, or Metro. I'm starting to feel pessimistic about my odds of finishing all 29 games, but I believe I can still manage to finish 26 by slotting in my backups for some of the longer grinds on my main list.

I have recently started and finished AFL Live 2, however. It's one of the easiest UR plats I've ever done, and I've done some easy ones over the years. Also quite short, probably in the 10-12 hour range. Holding the last trophy for the aforementioned THL, but it will take about 10 minutes to earn. Certainly only a game for the most frenzied UR trophy hunters as it has essentially 0 fun factor outside of popping the trophies and being able to watch or listen to enjoyable things while you play it

Edited by Andrea9281
  • Like 4