Varhur

My new PS3 has problem with reading discs

23 posts in this topic

 So, i've bought myself a "normal" PS3 after using Super Slim one, and of course, something happens. I tried to play Batman: Arkham Origins on disc, i've put it in, while of waiting, then some noises and nothing. I've turned it out and put in again and thankfully it worked. Today i wanted to plat The Last of Us and the problem is the same, except no happy ending. I put the disc in the PS3, there's a pause with no noises, then a sound of the disc inside, then nothing. I'm fucking frustrated, because everything i have seems to have problems. Help?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can suggest is to use a disc cleaner dvd.  Also, clean the dust out of the console by removing power, holding the eject and plugging it back in. 

 

Unfortunately, the laser might be dying.

Edited by BlackSquirrell1
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

All I can suggest is to use a disc cleaner dvd.  Also, clean the dust out of the console by removing power, holding the eject and plugging it back in. 

 

Unfortunately, the lazer might be dying.

Today i tried another disc and no positive results either. And i wanted to avoid taking it apart, because if nothing works, maybe i could return it to the seller.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PS4 has issues loading discs also, it started all of a sudden. What I do is when I insert disc, I then start tapping on the top of the PS4 right over where the disc would be and keep tapping until I hear it engage. Sounds stupid but it works every time and is the only 'fix' I have found. Don't know if this will help in your situation?

Edited by sunnydaleAlumni
added more to comment
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here is my workaround for this problem that I have encountered on my PS3 several times: the idea is to put something (for example a stack of 3-5 PS3 cases) under the front part of your PS3 so it gets tilted towards the back.

This usually solves the non-reading of the disc. Of course this is by no means a fix to the problem but works for me. And from time to time you can check by removing the item to see if it still has the issue. But this happens to only some of my discs. Maybe there are some imperfections to certain game discs that gives the PS3 a hard time (especially if the model is getting old and the laser has been used a lot).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that if you elevate the front of a PS3 that doesn't read discs upon first inserting the disc and allowing it to load, discs will read and play normally (you can even put the console down after the disc loads).

 

Strange workaround, but it works 100% of the time for me.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a third ps3 because in the past year, the disc drive on my two other ones shit the bed. Seems to be a common issue that just comes with old ps3s.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I can confirm that if you elevate the front of a PS3 that doesn't read discs upon first inserting the disc and allowing it to load, discs will read and play normally (you can even put the console down after the disc loads).

 

Strange workaround, but it works 100% of the time for me.

Interesting workaround!  I'll keep that in mind for the future if I have the same problem!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disk and laser "cleaners" are a waste of time and money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it from a smoker? I've fixed a few by just taking it apart and wiping the laser with a wipe you use on glasses. It must take a lot of abuse to damage a laser, my mate had a super slim and he would leave the top open all the time, he's a heavy smoker as well, it started having disc reading issues and he then got a PS4 so gave me the PS3... It was absolutely filthy and full of dust and tobacco... I took it apart cleaned it, replaced the thermal paste and the laser with a wipe... Still working today 3 years later. 

Edited by GUDGER666
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUDGER666 said:

Was it from a smoker? I've fixed a few by just taking it apart and wiping the laser with a wipe you use on glasses. It must take a lot of abuse to damage a laser, my mate had a super slim and he would leave the top open all the time, he's a heavy smoker as well, it started having disc reading issues and he then got a PS4 so gave me the PS3... It was absolutely filthy and fill of dust and tobacco... I took it apart cleaned it, replaced the thermal paste and the laser with a wipe... Still working today 3 years later. 

Console arrived 3-4 days ago and i don't smoke, so i doubt it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, totallycrushed said:

@Varhur Just curious. Normal as in Phat or Slim?

Phat has "Playstation 3" and Slim has "PS3" on it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Disk and laser "cleaners" are a waste of time and money.

 

Laser cleaners can be found for $1.00 at a dollar store and do a great job of clearing dust from lasers that have sat with dust on them for a while, sometimes years. Worth it to have one on hand.

 

Disc cleaners, on the other hand: water and a cotton sock are all you need to clean a disc. Anything 100% cotton won't scratch plastic and water is the only solvent needed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

 

Disc cleaners, on the other hand: water and a cotton sock are all you need to clean a disc. Anything 100% cotton won't scratch plastic and water is the only solvent needed.


Toothpaste and water has been my go-to for years now. Got some busted discs working with it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm.. I'll give that elevation thing a try. My problem is my PS3 will read everything but blu-ray movies.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i've been trying and those are the results

 

- cleaning dust - failed

 

- tapping console - failed

 

- elevating console - failed

 

I tried with The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 3. For some reason LEGO Batman 3 works normally without any workarounds.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This error happened with my first ps3 where it would make a ton of noise like it was reading the disc but would never show up and the only way I could boot up disc games was to start a digital game, press the playstation button while on the digital game to go to the XBM menu and the disc icon will show there, start up the disc game from there.

Edited by danielc655
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 ps3s, 2 super slim and 1 slim. The slim is the only one that is still able to read discs (normal and double layer like TLoU)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Laser cleaners can be found for $1.00 at a dollar store and do a great job of clearing dust from lasers

 

Except the problem is within the drive itself, be it zero positioning in the laser track or a faulty laser. I've never seen these things work on any optical drive. You're spot on about the disk cleaning, though. 

 

@Varhur I didn't see this mentioned, but was this a brand new sealed console, or was it purchased used/refurbished?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Varhur said:

So i've been trying and those are the results

 

- cleaning dust - failed

 

- tapping console - failed

 

- elevating console - failed

 

I tried with The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 3. For some reason LEGO Batman 3 works normally without any workarounds.

 

That's odd. Does LEGO Batman only work if you try starting it multiple times? I ask that because you said you managed to get Arkham Origins to work after repeated attempts, and if that's the case maybe it could point towards a problem with the console itself (I'm no expert). Do you have another console around to test the discs on? Maybe from a friend or something.

 

Edited by AFRising
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.