Gone Fishing

The greatest Problem with Days Gone is the fact that you need time AND focus to grasp it's true value.

As a journalist who needs to "spit out" a review as fast as possible it is nearly impossible to understand the way it is meant to be played

I especially loved Deacon. He was flawed and clearly not your average hero. That was refreshing.

and the hordes... man, what a nice mechanic

yeah, solid 8 I'm with you there

• Like 3

It was a tough choice to headline Gamestop's "return the game in 48 hours for a full refund" program or whatever it was... because I had those same initial complaints and ended up taking it back.  Then some time shortly after, I kinda got the itch to play again so I re-picked it up.  Ended up really enjoying the game. ?  It's definitely a grower.  Just about every part of the game... from the combat mechanics, to the bikes, to the story, etc... all take time to really get going.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the game as well, but it does take a while to get going. I am ok with the narrative being slow, the game does not really start until you get to lost lake, with everything before being a slow introduction to Boozer and Deacon. I don't mind slow burn games, and I liked the setup enough to put the time in. The only thing that I think is a real mistake is making it so you cant get anything useful until you get to Tucker and anything good till lost lake. I would have put the guns with Copeland and the bike stuff with tucker. The starting pistol is hot garbage and is the primary reason so many reviews said the gun play was trash. It is, until you upgrade and get a couple of skills, but that can be 10 hours in if you are taking your time. Gas never bothered me, but considering I mod survival mechanics into any game I can it is more or less right up my alley. This game is my second favorite of the year, right behind RE2, so I am glad you liked it. It's been interesting to watch the reviews and articles act like the game was a failure, while the sales and user reception has been much higher. 

• Like 2

I was sceptic going it because the little bit I seen of it never really impressed me. When I was able to get it almost half price I decided to give it a try. I agree, it is a slow start to the game but I kept at. While it did have some technical issues I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Days Gone. In the end when grinding for xp I was having a real blast taking on the hordes.

When I have told people about the game I have warned them that it is a slow start but to give it time.  

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it.  Thought it could've had a little more survival aspects to it other than gas, Band-Aids, ect.  What's dissatisfactory is that the sweet challenges that give you patches and help within game...  Came out a few months later when they worked on this game for years.  The fact they had to use an update to realize it needed a Survival mode was embarrassing.  I still loved the shit out of this game and most it aspects.  But not for a second do I see where they got lazy.  This would've been up there with Evil With, Dead Space for me if they simply included the right, complete content, like the aforementioned games did.  I.E.  Akumu mode/Hard to the Core and a little more horror/worry.  It's pathetic how lazy and greedy this industry became.  I remember the days when a game came out, it came with all it's content, finished.  

• Like 1

Clearing out infestations and killing hordes never got old. So much fun.

Out of everything the game offered only one thing annoyed me and that was the chatter over the radio.

When in camp there were no jobs available but as soon as I had left the camp I'd get a call on the radio that a job was available. 

I WAS JUST THERE YOU DICK!

Also someone, let's say Tucker would radio, "Deac are you there" and Deacon would say something like, oh Tucker you got a job for me, I'll head over, and hang up.

How did he know what she wanted?

One thing that did amaze me though was that in about 60 hours of play I only came across 2 minor glitches. That is incredible. 

Edited by reiner-

I absolutely love this game. I had  a great feel for the game from the start. I like how open the world is. I enjoyed that you could either follow the main story line, or do side quests and events. It took me a while to learn how to fully use the bike. I like how each encampment has it's own upgrades and everything. It really did leave a lasting good impression on me. I hope that they make a sequel soon. 

• Like 2

Honestly?

The game deserves the 6.5 score. It's shallow in everything.

Shallow story, shallow customization, shallow RPG mechanics, shallow progression, shallow loot, bad bike controls, bad balance, bad reward system etc etc.

Then the vocabulary abuses the words "shit" and "fuck" all the time. 9/10 for edginess.

Character development is shallow too. There's no growth development actually for anyone except Boozer, the Ripper leader and Iron Mike.

This game should have had at least the customization, combat and progress of "Remnant from the Ashes" game.

The small customization in challenges (rings-patches) should have been in the main game.

What about clothing and armor? Human enemies are better "dressed" than your renegade ex-mountain veteran bounty hunter.

The world is empty. In every aspect. Loot, enemies and event (quests).

Too big without substance to cover it.

The zombies are under-utilized in variety.

Their only highlight is their hordes which all feel the same because they all act the same.

You claim they are mutating but the devs aren't playing with the idea. Get snazzy and creative like Resident Evil.

Similarly, ailments in a world full of filth and viruses are non-existent. Only "Burnt" exists.

What about poison and infections? Poison for classic HP drain

and Infections that make you a bit stronger (like freaks) (DMG and DEF boost) but kill you after X in-game hours if untreated.

You could have the medkits heal those ailments on top of the HP recovery while bandages can only heal the HP.

Moreover, the "bosses".... actually what bosses? Game has no real bosses.

Worst "boss" fights since...SNES? 15 years from now and this game will be listed in a Youtube video called "Top10 worst boss fights in gaming".

Makes HZD's awful boss fights feel good ironically.

Also, the game is realistic only in everything that makes gameplay a slog or just  inconvenient.

Sleeping doesn't heal you. You can't choose sleep hours.

Bikesitting sim for 40+hours. Bike breaks in ankle deep water...what?

You have no storage to store all the items you find in this ruined world where everything is valuable and rare but instead you just throw everything.

Camps don't have basic necessities of the world for sale like basic scrap, bandages, bottles etc. Doesn't have to be everything. Just some of them. Oh, but here's a medkit O_O

Credits don't work between camps? So how do these camps even trade?

Currency is one of the first and vital concepts of human society throughout history. Only the form and value changes. But it's always something common between parties.

A shitty 1kC pistol in one camp has the same value with a good 1kC sniper rifle in another camp....Someone is getting scammed in these camp trades.

Finally, the game's plot, lore and events are just plain inconsistent. You think players won't notice them in the middle of action?

I have the feeling the story was re-written many many times to serve various events only to get worse.

Don't know where to start with this one. This deserves a topic of itself.

On 25/08/2019 at 7:20 AM, Fragtaster said:

I'm just about to finish Day's Gone, and I just want to say I thuroughly enjoyed this game! When I first started the game I had many major gripes, mostly centered around the unresponsive weapons wheel ruining combat, bland setting, the horrible degree by which you have to worry about gas, the tiny map, and disjointed story - not to meantion how crappy guns where initially. There where other little issues, but those where the big ones. After about 10 hours I felt the game was mediocre at best, and only worthy of a score of 6.5 out of 10 (and I was being slighly generous).

However as the hours went along I upgraded my bike and amassed credits to the point that gas was no longer a issue; I also eventually got much better guns that with the aid of skills I unlocked, where greatly more useful and accurate to use. The map also continued to grow as I unlocked new regions with more diverse weather patterens. Most importantly, as 10 hours became 20 hours, and 20 became 30 - I realized the games gamplay activities and story ebbed and flowed into 4 distinct ARCs. Each arc was completely different with different motives driving Deacon forward, different tones to the story, and completely different antagonists to shake things up. By the time I was 30 hours in my personal score for the game had risen to a 7.0 out of 10, and by the time I finished the RIPer arc, it had risen to a solid 7.5 out of 10. 

While the first arc was somewhat flat, each preceeding arc managed to grab my attention, and by the final arc in the games story, I was completely invested into Deacons emotional plight, and doing the last missions on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I came to really like Deacon as a person. 

Once I settled in the gameplay loops and got a better understanding of what the game wanted from me, I really really loved it. It was a big surprise as I went into it completely blind knowing only very basic stuff. But when i came out of the end of the story I was completely hooked. They released some trophies later on which would require another playthrough and i fully intend on going back once the experience is less fresh in my mind to do them. Also, after some of the final story parts I cannot wait for a potential sequel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

After that Nero guy pulled off his mask in a shocking reveal during the secret ending (a HUGE plot twist), and revealed a MUCH greater enemy was on the way - I immediately wanted a sequel so bad it hurt. Who are they? WHAT are they? What are they and the freakers evolving into? Why are they doing all of this? The wait for a sequel is gonna be down right painful, as it will be several years no doubt.

Oh man couldn't agree with you more. Imagine a sequel will come a few years into PS5 era. The wait is gonna be torture lol. Hope Bend Studio gets the chance to make a sequel at least!

• Like 1