Trophy thoughts?

Nightowljrm

I figured I'd start the obligatory thread. What's everyone's thoughts on the trophies? I've been looking forward to this game for a while since I'm a whore for melodramatic, gothic-inspired themes in basically any media. I had tried to look up some information at one point since the game has been out in Japan for a while, but I wasn't able to find anything in English.

If I had to assume, the platinum is basically maxing out your character, killing everything, and doing all sidequests with random stuff sprinkled in like petting the dog 10 and 53 times, using a consumable 100 times, and beating a boss without getting damaged, which I supposed could be missable if you can't refight bosses, but going into the game aware of the trophy should mitigate that.

Judging from the trophy percentages of the Japanese versions, it doesn't seem tough. Hopefully the game is fun! 

• Like 1

Super short?

i platinumed the game, took me around 80 hours. Will it take that long for everyone once there’s guides and help out here? Probably not, but considering the collections of the memoirs is based on RND and there’s no tracker letting you know what stages they’re appear in and where you last fought one, it takes a long time to collect them all.

the main story itself took me around 30-40 hours I think, as there’s multiple playthroughs, tonnes of narrative and lots of replaying the stages. Then you have the levelling up to max level - it took me 4 hours of solid grid to go up 20 levels when I’d done everything else as each level increases the amount of exp you need and enemies always drop the same amount of experience. 

There are no missables, you can replay any mission you want whenever you want as well as the forced playthroughs for all endings. It’s a really fun and dark game but it’s not short or too difficult - even killing a boss without getting hit is easy as you can return to the first boss once you’re at a very high level. However, it is a long game if you take in the story and don’t just skip all the dialogue. 

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, turniplord said:

Super short?

i platinumed the game, took me around 80 hours. Will it take that long for everyone once there’s guides and help out here? Probably not, but considering the collections of the memoirs is based on RND and there’s no tracker letting you know what stages they’re appear in and where you last fought one, it takes a long time to collect them all.

the main story itself took me around 30-40 hours I think, as there’s multiple playthroughs, tonnes of narrative and lots of replaying the stages. Then you have the levelling up to max level - it took me 4 hours of solid grid to go up 20 levels when I’d done everything else as each level increases the amount of exp you need and enemies always drop the same amount of experience. 

There are no missables, you can replay any mission you want whenever you want as well as the forced playthroughs for all endings. It’s a really fun and dark game but it’s not short or too difficult - even killing a boss without getting hit is easy as you can return to the first boss once you’re at a very high level. However, it is a long game if you take in the story and don’t just skip all the dialogue. 

I was gonna ask here who got the platinum, I was like Day 1 Platinum on a RPG da F***. 

28 minutes ago, ShadyMan8903 said:

To be fair you could day 1 a kemco RPG if you started early enough in the morning.

You wouldn't be able to do this one in under a day - even the AS and JP lists have around 2 days as the fastest completion times. I think mine was about a week as I had to have a few days off from it - the RND was getting to me!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShadyMan8903 said:

To be fair you could day 1 a kemco RPG if you started early enough in the morning.

And a RPG like Cosmic Star Heroine can be done under 10-12Hours for most people, but the truth is most RPG lists are generally grind or completion heavy lists. I wouldn't put most standard RPGs under 40hrs average for completion.  Alot of noticeable ones being 80, 100 or even 150 hours or more in that regard. 

I started the game tonight and got through the area that basically serves as the tutorial before getting off. I plan on diving head first into the game tomorrow and really getting into it.

The English voice acting is surprisingly great. It has some of the stiff animations and "budget" look some niche JRPGs have, but the music, atmosphere, themes, etc. are excellent so far, especially if you love dramatic, Poe-ish, "beautiful sadness" themes.

• Like 1

Reading that there are no missables is a relief. That's always my biggest worry with a trophy list, especially one like this where no one seems to be talking about it.

Me: "Anyone else looking forward to Crystar?"

Everyone: "What's Crystar?"

Hopefully the RNG isn't bad for everyone.

4 hours ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

Not really sure what RNG everyone is talking about, if it's the revenants then it only changes slightly. If you do the optional ordeal it'll have that worlds revenants, just replay it until you get the one you're looking for. 

Yeah, I'm not understanding the RNG issue either. Just pay attention to the Revenants and you're fine. And like you said, play the Optional Ordeal and you'll likely fulfill all the "normal" Revenant memories. The boss ones can be replayed on their individual missions. On the Ordeal select menu, the objective will mention that Revenant by name once you've completed that Ordeal once.

I'm still taking notes as I play though. I kinda wanna make a guide and this game will be my first one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

I'm still taking notes as I play though. I kinda wanna make a guide and this game will be my first one.

If you would like to, we can make a guide together? I really love the game and was thinking about making one anyway but it's always better and easier with someone else! I've made two in the past so I have some knowledge. Of course you don't have to so don't feel like you need to say yes.

7 hours ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

Not really sure what RNG everyone is talking about, if it's the revenants then it only changes slightly. If you do the optional ordeal it'll have that worlds revenants, just replay it until you get the one you're looking for. 

That’s literally RND. You n ver know which memoirs will be ‘obtainable’ in each level. There like 7 different types of each of the basic enemies. So, you start the level, run through It and you may see 1 or 2 you can grab. The next time it may be a few of the same or different, again and it may be others. Backing out to the title and reloading usually pushes it to randomise which ones will appear the. Next time you go item as sometimes it can get stuck and just display the same ones to grab over and over. 

Even though you could technically pin down wha enemies are in each area (something I had no info on pre-launch), it’s still technically RND and can take a while if you’re not sure which named version of an enemy will be catchable when the game decides its possible. 

17 minutes ago, turniplord said:

That’s literally RND. You n ver know which memoirs will be ‘obtainable’ in each level. There like 7 different types of each of the basic enemies. So, you start the level, run through It and you may see 1 or 2 you can grab. The next time it may be a few of the same or different, again and it may be others. Backing out to the title and reloading usually pushes it to randomise which ones will appear the. Next time you go item as sometimes it can get stuck and just display the same ones to grab over and over. 

Even though you could technically pin down wha enemies are in each area (something I had no info on pre-launch), it’s still technically RND and can take a while if you’re not sure which named version of an enemy will be catchable when the game decides its possible. 

You're making it sound a lot more complicated than it actually is. Each chapter has usually a new monster of a previous one and so you just keep track of what chapter you find it in, either get it during plot or do the ordeal. It's really isn't hard to do, you also only really need to do the optional ordeal around 3 times to get everything you need. 

1 minute ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

You're making it sound a lot more complicated than it actually is. Each chapter has usually a new monster of a previous one and so you just keep track of what chapter you find it in, either get it during plot or do the ordeal. It's really isn't hard to do, you also only really need to do the optional ordeal around 3 times to get everything you need. 

Took me more than just 3 plays of the optional ordeal to get them all. I had to replay various individual levels multiple times because the optional one doesn't make certain ones pop up. Plus, as I said, if the ordeal has 6 enemy types, one play may only let you obtain 2 of them and not 'name' the others. Yet after restarting a number of times, it'll randomise which ones can be caught and give them a name. 

I never said the game was hard, it's a long game due to the RND of which enemies are obtainable on each level without a tracker or indication. With a guide or if you take notes from the start, it'll be faster than it took me. But my plat took 80hours.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Took me more than just 3 plays of the optional ordeal to get them all. I had to replay various individual levels multiple times because the optional one doesn't make certain ones pop up. Plus, as I said, if the ordeal has 6 enemy types, one play may only let you obtain 2 of them and not 'name' the others. Yet after restarting a number of times, it'll randomise which ones can be caught and give them a name. 

I never said the game was hard, it's a long game due to the RND of which enemies are obtainable on each level without a tracker or indication. With a guide or if you take notes from the start, it'll be faster than it took me. But my plat took 80hours.

Each optional ordeal contain the monsters in that particular chapter, meaning you need to play that particular chapter ordeal. Each time you enter the dungeon again it'll reset, no need to restart it multiple times. There's usually around 8 monsters in each optional ordeal which are revenants, if you only two monsters out of the four you would have needed for that chapter then that's extremely unlucky. I've had no problems at all during the runs. 

All you simply need to do is replay the optional dungeon after each chapter, check you've got all the memoirs and move on. 

Edited by LucianaRosethorn

14 hours ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

Each optional ordeal contain the monsters in that particular chapter, meaning you need to play that particular chapter ordeal. Each time you enter the dungeon again it'll reset, no need to restart it multiple times. There's usually around 8 monsters in each optional ordeal which are revenants, if you only two monsters out of the four you would have needed for that chapter then that's extremely unlucky. I've had no problems at all during the runs. 

All you simply need to do is replay the optional dungeon after each chapter, check you've got all the memoirs and move on. 

Do different Revenants spawn in each instance?

This is how it has worked out for me so far (I am on mobile so I apologize for poor formatting):

1. Play through every story Ordeal, making sure to kill *everything* and checking the Memoirs of the Dead between Ordeals.

2. Once the Optional Ordeal is available, complete it. At this point, I either already have all Revenant memoirs up to this point completed except for bosses and one Revenant.

3. Run through the Optional Ordeal once to clean up the non-boss Revenant memoirs.

4. Go back and kill the boss(es) of that layer in Purgatory to complete their memoirs.

5. Move on with the story.

I haven't had to run the Optional Ordeal more than once. 

17 hours ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

If you would like to, we can make a guide together? I really love the game and was thinking about making one anyway but it's always better and easier with someone else! I've made two in the past so I have some knowledge. Of course you don't have to so don't feel like you need to say yes.

Maybe! I was kinda hoping to do it myself, but I also don't want to create competing guides, either. Haha.

I'm really enjoying the game too. It has its faults, but there are some really special ingredients in this game, especially the theme and music. I am usually not one who cares much about story but I'm pretty invested. I even find myself reading about the Revenants too.

• 2 weeks later...