TellTale Games Revived

DEI2EK

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

That's a surprise. Wasn't everything they released unprofitable?

From my understanding yes, they hit it big with TWD then were pretty much hemorrhaging money on everything else. Even if some of their games had critical acclaim the only thing that ever sold well was TWD.

Still have yet to play anything on their backlog though i do have some of their stuff in my backlog.

• Like 2

Hopefully they'll invest in a better game engine than the janky Telltale Tool. I wonder how many of the former Telltale employees who got shafted when the company shut down will be hired back.

Edit: Ninja'd by starcrunch061.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf

I can see this being very successful if done correctly:

1. Build new engine, ideally one that can transcode previous engines code. (To drive efficiency.)
  2. Match new output to production capacity. (Drive longevity.)
  3. Update previous titles to take advantage of new engine and release as new packages with some bonus. (This should help drive more profitability.)
  4. Balance some original ideas as well the licensed work. (Diversify to mitigate risk.)

I wish them luck and hope it works out for them. 

• Like 3

Part of the problem was the pricing model.  I think they discounted too quickly  (more so than most games) so everyone knew to not buy at launch and get dirt cheap shortly afterwards.

There was some repetition between releases but the core formula works.  Similar to LEGO games and other examples but people keep buying the same LEGO game every six months in a new skin.

Is Life is Strange Season 2 profitable?  If not, Telltale’s revival may not last that long.

• Like 1

Never really got into TellTale's games. Played TWD, The Wolf Among Us and Back to the Future but they didn't really do it for me. Then the other day I decided to play Batman and it is bloody awesome. So I'm stoked to hear they're back and hope they put out a 3rd Batman game.

• Like 1

The reality is that some people who didn't actually work at Telltale Games have bought the rights to a name. Brands don't make video games.

https://kotaku.com/two-people-who-didnt-work-at-telltale-games-say-theyre-1837654392

Edited by grifteskymfning
link
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Terminus124 said:

NoClip did a great documentary/interview with ex-Telltale employees about the biggest issue being dumb top management that scratched any and every original idea and wanted to keep releasing the same formula over and over again. Naturally, gamers got tired of it as well. Not to mention they were working on several titles at the same time, leaving no space (and work force) for engine innovation.

Also, TWD was their biggest hit but they weren't hemorrhaging money with stuff like Borderlands and Wolf. They weren't megahits but still were profitable. Minecraft stuff was their second biggest hit financially. The real issue was the era of GoT, Guardians, Batman, etc. when games stopped selling yet studio kept making more and more of them.

I do believe this time it'll be different.

Edit: Yes, they're hiring old creative staff with plans to expand later.

^

17 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Part of the problem was the pricing model.  I think they discounted too quickly  (more so than most games) so everyone knew to not buy at launch and get dirt cheap shortly afterwards.

There was some repetition between releases but the core formula works.  Similar to LEGO games and other examples but people keep buying the same LEGO game every six months in a new skin.

Is Life is Strange Season 2 profitable?  If not, Telltale’s revival may not last that long.

It's overpriced, I'll say that much. People were stupid to pay for that game full price, as all $40 was going to get you was the first episode—for a whole 4 month period, a gap of time in which you could have easily earned quadruple+ that amount throughout the various paychecks that would have been earned—of a five episodic game and the rest later over a large amount of time. All 5 episode releases had already been planned to be spread a little over a year. Terrible. Developers like Telltale and Supermassive did a FAR better job here. I'm still surprised TWD:TFS launched at $20, even though it only contained 4 episode... But man the innovation in that game in comparison to their other TWD and non-TWD projects is incredible. There's true gameplay :')

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 4

I wish them the best. I think having some original IP's mixed with the licensed games will work great

If they are going to bring back some of the older IP's maybe they will release the Monkey Island, Sam & Max and Jurassic Park game for current gen consoles.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Life is Strange is Square Enix not Telltale.