[REVIEW/IMPRESSIONS] Is it worth it?

Very insightful, +1. For me, the £24.99 price point and length makes its flaws more forgivable as it is probably not bad value when you take into account the replay value. I'll probably wait, though, I have Control, Blair Witch, and Daemon X Machina this month and I feel that this game may go into a sale sooner rather than later. If one of the latter two games I mentioned bombs, I may replace it with this. The platinum looks easy but quite convoluted, even for a choice-driven narrative game, with co-op specific trophies and collectibles you would have to go out of your way to get. I'll get around to it, but not a Day 1 for me personally.

Edited by PhantomFear94

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Very insightful, +1. For me, the £24.99 price point and length makes its flaws more forgivable as it is probably not bad value when you take into account the replay value. I'll probably wait, though, I have Control, Blair Witch, and Daemon X Machina this month and I feel that this game may go into a sale sooner rather than later. If one of the latter two games I mentioned bombs, I may replace it with this. The platinum looks easy but quite convoluted, even for a choice-driven narrative game, with co-op specific trophies and collectibles you would have to go out of your way to get. I'll get around to it, but not a Day 1 for me personally.

I'm very tempted to preorder because (supposedly) preorder orders include Curator's cut, I guess post launch won't be free.

But not sure how significant is that content.

On those endgame spoilers along with Until Dawn spoilers:

Interesting that the threat this time goes from supernatural to manmade, as opposed to Until Dawn, where we go from Josh's fake killer to the wendigo. The twist honestly sounds solid on paper to me, but I wonder if it's a good idea to use it on for the first game of their horror anthology. Feels like the kind of thing that would've worked best as like the second or third game in the series to really mix up the audience after playing the supernatural threat straight previously.

This is one of the very few games I've pre-ordered this year, its already downloading and can't wait to start playing it this weekend!

I was a huge fan of Until Dawn, its a pity we never got a sequel to that one, I thought they were going to aim for a Final Fantasy type of franchise were each installment would be separated from previous ones in terms of story and characters (maybe a few references or easter eggs here and there) and that each game would tackle on a different horror genre, but now it seems they're aiming to do just that with this new franchise so I don't know if they're planning to ever do a sequel to UD or to not follow TDPA's premise whenever they make one.

Anyways, thanks for the review! personally I love fixed camera angles because even though they might be frustrating nowadays it reminds of the classical old survival horror gameplay style which I enjoy, and I don't know for me they make the game a bit more scary since its like the developers have control of the camera so it makes you feel a little bit vulnerable and hopeless hehe.

About the short length, I feel like this helps the devs to spend more time on developing a better choice-based system were choices becomes more meaningful as well as developing a story that doesn't drags out too much compared to other interactive drama games. I'm glad that it still has a lot of reply value, I enjoyed collecting the totems and all the other collectibles in UD, specially because they actually helped you to achieve a better outcome and gave you meaningful info as opposed to collectibles in most other games, so hopefully they work that way in this game as well.

Looking forward to start playing it soon! <3

39 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

I'm very tempted to preorder because (supposedly) preorder orders include Curator's cut, I guess post launch won't be free.

But not sure how significant is that content.

According to the launch trailer, it says at the end that "the Curator's Cut will be available for free late 2019".

Just now, SinisterPledge said:

Wow. Watched a gameplay video. You weren't kidding about the spelling errors. This is an ID card at the start of the game:

uOkmeYC.png

That's genuinely sad.

I have to elaborate: this is the one exception. This one has intentional spelling mistakes, to indicate Fliss's permit is an obvious forgery.

I'm referring to other in-game documents. ;)

1 minute ago, JoaLoft said:

I have to elaborate: this is the one exception. This one has intentional spelling mistakes, to indicate Fliss's permit is an obvious forgery.

I'm referring to other in-game documents. ;)

Gotcha, fair enough!

18 hours ago, SnakeonaBoat said:

On those endgame spoilers along with Until Dawn spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting that the threat this time goes from supernatural to manmade, as opposed to Until Dawn, where we go from Josh's fake killer to the wendigo. The twist honestly sounds solid on paper to me, but I wonder if it's a good idea to use it on for the first game of their horror anthology. Feels like the kind of thing that would've worked best as like the second or third game in the series to really mix up the audience after playing the supernatural threat straight previously.

I agree, it's different, but I can imagine not everyone will enjoy the twist.

17 hours ago, Yen-Pop said:

Thank you very much for the insight! As a big Supermassive Games fan, I've been waiting on this one for quite awhile and I'm glad to hear it's not terrible!

It's far from terrible, it's actually pretty good! That average score of 70% is pretty much right on the money. If I had to rate this game at the current state, I'd give it a 70-75% as well. If they fixed some of the issues and the story was a little bit better, it could've easily been an 80%.

16 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:

Gotcha, fair enough!

I did a stream last night and I rediscovered one of those collectibles: one of them is a document that says "I am investigating" and the transcript reads: "I am investigation". That's a pretty embarrassing spelling error to me, and there was another collectible missing punctuation in the transcript, messing up the sentence structures. These issues could've easily been avoided, and it only applies to a very small number of collectibles, but it's still a damn shame this aspect is not polished to perfection.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! :)

• Like 1

It's a pity we live in a world where 70% (7/10) is seen as "bad". Like, if a game isn't getting in the high 80's or 90's then somehow it isn't worthwhile, or if a reviewer assigns such a score they are "biased" and "shitting on the game".

What it says to me is that if i enjoy these kinds of games- which I do- then I'll likely enjoy this one too. Thanks for your input, I'm very interested in this now, I have Until Dawn and can't wait to get stuck into that as well

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 4

I mean, Until Dawn, is a 79 on Metacritic but I consider it one of the best games of the generation. Reviews are a good indicator of whether or not a game is a good, but even better is your personal experience . I l loved Until Dawn so I'm confident I will love Man of Medan too. I can't wait to play it over the weekend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I mean, Until Dawn, is a 79 on Metacritic but I consider it one of the best games of the generation. Reviews are a good indicator of whether or not a game is a good, but even better is your personal experience . I l loved Until Dawn so I'm confident I will love Man of Medan too. I can't wait to play it over the weekend.

This is specifically why I bought this. Because it is from the same people that brought us Until Dawn. And I absolutely love that game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

Oh yeah, the game has "Until Dawn" written all over it, in multiple ways. Even the intro credits song (Oh Death) remained the same, except it's being performed by a band this time around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Just finished the game and it's terrible. Highly recommend people to wait for a steep sale before picking this one up. Extremely disappointing after Until Dawn. Technical issues aside,the plotting and gameplay elements are so lacklustre and the scares don't progress beyond lazy jump scares

Didn't experience any technical issues tonight when I did a coop run, with the newest patch. UD had a lot of jump scares as well, and truth be told: the plot is subjective matter. Some people will appreciate the big reveal, some people will not.

But this is no bad game in my book, by all means. It is still well crafted.

1 hour ago, JoaLoft said:

Didn't experience any technical issues tonight when I did a coop run, with the newest patch. UD had a lot of jump scares as well, and truth be told: the plot is subjective matter. Some people will appreciate the big reveal, some people will not.

But this is no bad game in my book, by all means. It is still well crafted.

Yeah UD did have tons of jump scares but from memory they were done much better compared to the ones here and regarding the technical issues, my first playthrough (co op) was smooth(although tons of pop ins) while my second playthrough (co op) had a bunch of stuttering in certain chapters. I personally think it's a bad game cuz there were never really any edge of the seat moments and the game focuses too much on meaningless exploration (which gets frustrating because of janky controls). Also thought it was badly paced. 

Man of Medan is a short game, there isn't enough time really to get invested in  the characters like there was in Until Dawn. The Plot could have been a bit more intruiging, the reveal was too obvious, but I like cheap horror movies, and my favorites are "group in distress", because you can always try to guess at the beginning who's gonna make it. I had fun playing it, too bad there are online trophies.

On 28.8.2019 at 7:25 PM, SinisterPledge said:

Wow. Watched a gameplay video. You weren't kidding about the spelling errors. This is an ID card at the start of the game:

uOkmeYC.png

That was actually pretty neat. Alex comments on it that something is off. I was amused when I noticed.