Yakuza: Like a Dragon announced - Launches November 10 for PS4 & March 2, 2021 for PS5

Suminya

I hope that I don't need previous Yakuza knowledge to be able to jump on this when it releases.. 

Even though I do have both Kiwami games and 6, they are so long and my play time on ps4 isso limited that I never start them (I'm also not the biggest fan of general action games), so, ssing this is a turn based RPG, I'm 1000% more interested in playing it.. 

Wait... So that April Fools' Day joke video was actually reminiscent of the final product? Ehhhh!? I mean I love turn-based RPG's and all, but I don't think they should stray too far from the traditional combat system as it's one of my favourite things about the series, at least in a mainline game. I think this whole turn-based combat system would have been much better suited to a spin-off title. The idea of a turn-based Yakuza game is very intriguing to me, and I'm sure the final product is going to be amazing, but I love the traditional Yakuza combat system too... -_-

I hate how they dropped the "7" from the western name. I get the argument that it makes it more accessible for newcomers to get into the series as they wouldn't feel pressured to play the previous numbered titles first, but it's still dumb. Now you won't be able to tell the release order of any future Yakuza games at a glance. The "Like a Dragon" subtitle reminds me a lot of what Capcom did with Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, but at least they had the balls to number that one.

So yeah, mixed feelings on this one. It's not quite what I wanted out of Yakuza 7. I'm still very excited, though, of course.

• Like 2

Well I'm glad to see a new Yakuza game announced but I'm a bit confused on why they decided to make the combat like a turn-based JRPG. I feel like that would have been better suited for a spin-off or another game that isn't Yakuza. I'll at least give it a chance and see how it goes but I certainly do think it's an odd step to make.

13 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Well I'm glad to see a new Yakuza game announced but I'm a bit confused on why they decided to make the combat like a turn-based JRPG. I feel like that would have been better suited for a spin-off or another game that isn't Yakuza. I'll at least give it a chance and see how it goes but I certainly do think it's an odd step to make.

Basically, Nagoshi, the head of the series, likes JRPGs and was getting sick of the old combat style.

4 minutes ago, scabab said:

That the game is going to have a brand new setting which is three times the size of Kamurocho which should make it the largest Yakuza game in terms of area size is something I'm very happy to hear though.

It'll be the biggest city in the series, but Yakuza 5 with its five cities will probably still be the largest game overall.

4 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

Basically, Nagoshi, the head of the series, likes JRPGs and was getting sick of the old combat style.

I got the opposite impression of that since it always seemed like they were adding something different to it each game. Even then though, that's one of the things the series is known for so I hope this doesn't wind up dividing or alienating the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Redgrave said:

I got the opposite impression of that since it always seemed like they were adding something different to it each game. Even then though, that's one of the things the series is known for so I hope this doesn't wind up dividing or alienating the fanbase.

At the press conference, he said something about having "completed" the old combat, i.e., having taken it as far as it would go. 

You're right that it's a big change, but I guess that's one of the benefits of being the company's chief creative officer. You get to take risks (especially with your own series).

2 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

At the press conference, he said something about having "completed" the old combat, i.e., having taken it as far as it would go. 

You're right that it's a big change, but I guess that's one of the benefits of being the company's chief creative officer. You get to take risks (especially with your own series).

Nagoshi said that if the new game doesn’t sell well because of the changes they’ll gladly go back to the old style 

• Like 1

I really don't mind this change, but I still don't understand why this is part of the mainline titles in Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series when it's a completely different cast and no connections to Kiryu's saga (I think there will be references and maybe a cameo in a substory, but that's about it) while Judgment is supposedly its own IP and has a lot of the same concept and also has a completely different cast.

I feel like they don't even know what's what at this point.

Yaaaay, more info on ShinRyu! I welcome the change and feel the new battle system will be interesting. For some people that seem vehemently opposed to it, maybe don't knock it till you try it?

And I feel like this entry fits in the mainline series. There's no Kiryu, but Ichiban's origin is very much like his and I believe there can be more than one Dragon (of Tojo/Dojima) amongst the thousands of yakuza set in that universe. A succession entry sounds very promising to me~

Edited by Bittersweet

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Weekly Famitsu developer interview tidbits

Various new details on the seventh numbered Yakuza title.

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with the development staff of Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Yakuza 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness), which shares various new information about the title.

Get the tidbits below:

• Unlike Kazuma Kiryu, Ichiban Kasuga is not a man of immense strength who can march into enemy territory by himself. He fights alongside his friends, and the game system that best expresses this fact is an RPG.
  • The April Fool’s video was well received. Since we never said that’s how its going to be, the legitimacy of the praise is another question entirely.
  • We want to prove that Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio can properly create something other than an action adventure game.
  • While it may have been a decision that deviates from assured income on the business side, upper management recognized our courage to take a leap of faith and go down a new path.
  • This is a numbered Yakuza title because the studio considers it a true successor of the Yakuza series.
  • By developing and leveling up your characters, you will be able to compete against stronger enemies. The concept of Yakuza 7 is to be able to experience a “rise up from the bottom.”
  • Character abilities, preparations made before battle, combination of party members, and strategies will influence the outcome of battles.
  • There are no elements where traditional forms of action step in.
  • It feels as if you are playing an action game.
  • Rather than play out a set “scene” like your typical command RPG, the surroundings are calculated and controlled in real-time. If there is a trash can or bicycle nearby, you will automatically kick it to attack. If a car passes by, it can run you over. Judging your surroundings is another form of strategy.
  • Each attack has an attack range, and you can also deal area-of-effect damage.
  • The flow of the story is the same as the episodes depicted in Yakuza Online, but everything from character relationships to events is different.
  • Overall gameplay time is longer than previous titles. The main story alone is more than twice as long.
  • By playing sub-stories and play spots, both Kasuga and his party will become stronger. You can also earn money, experience points, and skills.
  • You can set jobs for characters.
  • You can also play it like a pure RPG where you earn experience points and level up through battle alone.
  • Depending on the party member, there are both jobs that are easy to become, as well as jobs difficult to become.
  • The game uses a symbol encounter system. There are also enemies that appear out of nowhere and turn into battles.
  • The feeling of walking the streets is the same as previous titles.
  • The map size has significantly increased, and some areas have strong enemies that cannot be defeated unless you develop your characters to a certain level.
  • There is a fast travel system.
  • There will not be any areas blocked off due the story. Instead, strong enemies will act as barriers.
  • Like an RPG, you can equip a weapon and accessories, as well as head, body, and leg equipment.
  • There are also elemental weapons.
  • Yokohama is not ruled by either the Tojo Clan or the Omi Alliance. You will find out why when you play the game.
  • The in-game Ijincho is quite different from the Chojamachi of the real world. It incorporates the essence that it used to be an entertainment district back in the day.
  • Ijincho is made into the point that people who live around the real Yokohama might get mad at us and say, “Our city isn’t like this!”
  • Not including dungeons and such, the pure size of the area is three to four times bigger than Kamurocho.
  • Each area has different grade equipment you can buy.
  • You will also go to Kamurocho at a certain point in the game.
  • Dragon Quest appears as a normal world that exists in the game.
  • The name Dragon Quest itself is used quite often. Puff-Puff also appears, but with different wording.
  • When you enter battle, both your own and the enemy’s appearance transform. Enemies will wear trash cans on their heads, be half-naked, or have different names. Even party members will suddenly pull out swords.
  • Battles are depicted as RPG-like landscapes because that is how Kasuga imagines them. From an outsider’s perspective, it’s just seen as a regular fight.
  • The only form of enjoyment Kasuga ever had as a child was playing Dragon Quest. He pictures himself as the hero who will one day go on an adventure. His belief in fighting fair and square was influenced by Dragon Quest. Battles are constantly influenced by the world of Dragon Quest.
  • Being betrayed by his boss and cast away in a strange land is Kasuga in the midst of his adventure. Making allies strengthens that feeling, and that is what we’re expressing with battles this time.
  • When it is a game set in modern times, it’s hard to tell how strong a character is just by their looks or features. The theme of Kasuga’s battles is to make that distinguishable by implementing RPG elements.
  • For instance, if the enemy is using an excavator, punching an excavator doesn’t look realistic at all in real life. Although if the looks are altered, it’ll make sense.
  • Playing it still feels like a Yakuza game, nothing has been lost there.
  • We’re not tackling simple ideas and habits. We chose the name Yakuza 7 with readiness, determination, and pride.
  • Recently some people tell me, “I’m a fan! I’ve watched all the past titles on Let’s Plays!” But are they truly fans? I’d say they absolutely are. I consider a kind of reply to this situation is Yakuza 7.
  • The real life value of a game creator is to make something that you will actually want to play with a controller. I want to make something that won’t satisfy with Let’s Plays alone. We’re actually making this with a pretty serious theme of “reinventing where video games stand as a media.”

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/yakuza-like-a-dragon-weekly-famitsu-developer-interview-tidbits

• Like 2

"This is a numbered Yakuza title because the studio considers it a true successor of the Yakuza series."

I mean this sound more like an Excuse than anything to me, it could have been a True Sequel without a Number, Yakuza has always been Kazuma Kiryuu's Story (Even in all the Spin-Offs rigth?) and so that should have been it, Unless many elements get backs from the old Yakuza as quotes or characters Meh, the only True common thing is the Yakuza based them, obviously.

Anyway we'll see interesting words but it to see how it's put in actual gameplay, it's not like there is any previous experience in doing an RPG by this SH/Team to judge something.

Plus I this gonna be an Action Rpg then? Between the "Real Time" Elements and they saying it's gonna be an action game that's what looks like at least.

"We’re not tackling simple ideas and habits. We chose the name Yakuza 7 with readiness, determination, and pride."

Yeah let's add the Part "and because it's the name of our Famous series so it will help sell better" (If it isn't clear i'm not that happy this is Called 7 as Yakuza xD) 

This looks amazing - I'll withhold judgment till I have it in my hands but I've quite enjoyed what I've seen so far. Maybe they were getting burnt out from making action games - fair enough. If this works out well then I can see them sticking to this format and keeping the action stuff to side games like Judgment. It looks a lot of fun, and I like the idea of being able to level a party of characters in a bigger, new environment, but with all the other Yakuza shit still there.

I understand perfectly well why people are cynical about this, but they seem to be putting in genuine effort and passion into making something "new" here, and after 9 (!!!) action games in Kamurocho can you really blame them for wanting to take the series in another direction?