Yakuza: Like a Dragon announced - Launches November 10 for PS4 & March 2, 2021 for PS5

Suminya

8 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Timed exclusive next gen is annoying and Phil Spencer was sooooooo against timed exclusivity recently too

Based on what I've heard about new Xbox dev kits, Microsoft has made it very easy to optimise across generations, while PS5 dev kits are more bespoke and it does require more work to get a PS game on both 4 and 5. I'm not advocating for Microsoft, just stating a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read a review of the game, and watched some video reviews. Sounds like a good JRPG and a good Yakuza game. It also acts as a great entry point for new players (Hence the lack of "7" in the title, as people have already mentioned here).

Some details from the reviews: 

• When Ichiban dies, but other characters don't, you still lose instantly like you do in SMT
  • There is some kind of a social link system, you improve the level of relationships with your 6 friends
  • Late game bosses are hard, you'll need to grind to be able to beat them
  • There are random encounters, but you can see these enemies on the map
  • All the mini-games are back; there are also new ones, like a Mario Kart clone - Dragon Kart, and a mini-game where you try not to fall asleep at a movie theater
  • There are about 50 sub stories, they are as awesome and funny as always.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

Trophy info taken from YakuzaFan;

After speaking with Localization Producer Scott Strichart he confirmed that the Trophy List for the western version was also altered for launch to account for the integration. As the new trophy list is now integrated getting the Platinum trophy is now part of the base game list not an expanded DLC trophy list. So we’ll need to work harder to get that Platinum!

The wording breaks my brain ('Platinum trophy is now part of the base game list'), but it looks like the Platinum difficulty will have ticked up a little considering you now need to beat EX Hard. I recall it being possible to change the difficulty on NG+ at any point and that people were getting the related Trophy for changing to EX Hard right before the final boss, so hopefully that's still part of the game.

This now also means that the base list of the game contains 71(!) Trophies. A record for the series - sadly only one of them is Gold.

Got my copy in the mail Saturday, but my roommate kinda failed to mention that I had a package on the table ? First time like ever I get an early copy of a game, and I don't even find out about it until last night ? Starting it up now. So excited. Walmart FINALLY pulled through with a pre-order. Woot 

I have tasted the beauty of native PS5 games and decided to wait for the PS5 version of this game. This is pretty frustrating because I have played Yakuza games in Japanese before, and I could've easily played this game in January. I didn't expect the localized version to take this long.

I just hope that they put in the work to integrate PS5 features, like the activity cards (for faster save loading?), and maybe a little bit of haptics.

Also, it would be cool if the PS4 version gets a discount by then, so I can buy that and upgrade to PS5. (but, I bought the digital PS5 so I have my doubts this will happen)

• 2 months later...