First Batman game and the combat is really frustrating

Varhur

Camera rotating all the time, trying to counter the hit, but enemy got out of range so i dropped combo, baseball bats having unnaturally high range, quickfire gadgets not working despite putting right commands, being barely in range of an attack, doing the circle+triangle move, only for game to register triangle and put me in counter position, seemingly doing moves perfectly for enemies to hit me...

I really want to plat this game, i finished online for a reason. But Jesus, how am i supposed to git gud? I know the redirect being super powerful so don't tell me that.

• Like 1

It's kind of weird at first but I found it to be one of those things where the more you do it the more sense it makes. It really just comes down to muscle memory and knowing which enemies do what and how to properly counter them while using your gadgets when you can. If I remember right there's something of a training arena in the main menu you can access, so why not try that? Also the cape-stun with circle is pretty useful. I'm pretty sure you should have that too.

This was the first Arkham game I actually played, and nearly one of the first PS3 games I played. At the time, I was awful since I hadn't really played anything like it before. Years later, I played Asylum followed by City, which did help me a lot, and finally revisited this game. Origins almost feels like you're supposed to know how the previous two work, since there are way more gadgets etc to learn in this one. 

Countering in my opinion is one of the harder things to do, especially against guys with weapons, so I would suggest not trying to counter. Use special moves as soon as you can. If you're in the middle of a beatdown and an enemy is coming, just evade and use regular attacks and finish the first guy off later.

21 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

You chose to start on the game which is by far the worst in the series

I already liked Origins more than its predecessors because it was the first one to put some effort into making the storyline at least somewhat compelling, as opposed to the other 3 games that kept revolving around the

Spoiler

Titan toxin

long after it stopped making sense. You know, since

Spoiler

Batman cured himself in each of the previous games and yet was somehow still infected by the time Knight rolled around.

But then Arkham Knight came out and made that statement false for a considerable amount of people.

• Like 1

Honestly all of the Batman games suffer from input lag and problems with combat every one I've played and I've played them all randomly drop combos like I can literally have fist to enemy and the combo drops many times I'll tell it to do 1 thing and it didn't read it or does something totally different. The combat is the only thing I can really say they did poorly everything else I thoroughly enjoyed and felt they did really well like the stealth the platforming the plot etc  

Honestly, it is just a "get better" situation.

The few people in here blaming it on the game play, saying there's lag or dropped combos, or quickfire not working. Those things are just blatantly untrue. I've been one of the top ranked players in the world across most of the games. I could fire one of them up right now and set a top 100 score on my first try or two. If combos dropped for no reason or quickfires didn't do what I wanted them too, that wouldn't possible. 

I got good. Anybody can.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

The few people in here blaming it on the game play, saying there's lag or dropped combos, or quickfire not working. Those things are just blatantly untrue. I've been one of the top ranked players in the world across most of the games. I could fire one of them up right now and set a top 100 score on my first try or two. If combos dropped for no reason or quickfires didn't do what I wanted them too, that wouldn't possible. 

I got good. Anybody can.

It's strange that a general consensus says these games do indeed drop combos and have lag and such though I'm sure some people have found ways to work around or compensate for them but most players don't I mean there are games with input lag in the seconds but people still master them by finding the right timing to compensate

I never really got to play Origins. Every disc I bought/rented something went wrong in the opening and it would brick both my Xbox and PS3. After getting new consoles once and the game for the 5th time respectively I gave up playing this game. I heard it's not everyone's favoite Arkham game, but it is fun for what it is. One day maybe I'll try it again.

1 minute ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

It's strange that a general consensus says these games do indeed drop combos and have lag and such though I'm sure some people have found ways to work around or compensate for them but most players don't I mean there are games with input lag in the seconds but people still master them by finding the right timing to compensate

Unless you're spending a ridiculous amount of money on a 0 lag TV, than every single video game you play has input lag. You're compensating for it every time you pick up a controller, so I can see your point. But I don't think it's any worse in the Batman games than anything else.

But there is also a "I'm really good at video games but I'm not good at this one so it must be the games fault. Let's look for any issue to blame it on" attitude amongst gamers now days. Something I see around here a lot. Hell, it's something I'm guilty of occasionally.

I got good. Anybody can.

Some of the things are obviously my lack of skill, but i can't feel not annoyed, when i press triangle and Batman takes a hit or when i use circle+triangle move and Batman does "counter stand". For good 5 minutes quickfire gel wasn't working at all and the original PS3 controller has super sensitive L2 (working on getting myself 3rd party one).

8 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Unless you're spending a ridiculous amount of money on a 0 lag TV, than every single video game you play has input lag. You're compensating for it every time you pick up a controller, so I can see your point. But I don't think it's any worse in the Batman games than anything else.

But there is also a "I'm really good at video games but I'm not good at this one so it must be the games fault. Let's look for any issue to blame it on" attitude amongst gamers now days. Something I see around here a lot. Hell, it's something I'm guilty of occasionally.

I agree there is alot of that going around but in this case if Batman I've even tested it on a small group and while sometimes I can get a fair combo going eventually it will just drop alot of times I'm litterally connecting with a bad guy at the time it drops like it's thinking to slow so the timer drops the combo before it can read that I am connecting a kick or a punch well within the time required. But I can say the PS4 versions of the Arkham series are Abit less horrid on it but the gadgets are still buggy and won't fire off correctly in the heat of battle

2 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Some of the things are obviously my lack of skill, but i can't feel not annoyed, when i press triangle and Batman takes a hit or when i use circle+triangle move and Batman does "counter stand". For good 5 minutes quickfire gel wasn't working at all and the original PS3 controller has super sensitive L2 (working on getting myself 3rd party one).

Well pressing triangle and still getting hit... Are you sure there aren't multiple enemies attacking you? You have to press triangle once for every enemy attacking you, up to 3.

As for the Triangle + Circle giving a counter thing, that was a problem for me at first too. I wasn't pressing them at the exact same time. I got better at it, although I do still miss X + O sometimes, that ones just awkward for my thumb lol.

I have no advice for explosive gel. I'm more of a Batarang / Freeze Blast / Grapple Claw kinda guy.

8 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I agree there is alot of that going around but in this case if Batman I've even tested it on a small group and while sometimes I can get a fair combo going eventually it will just drop alot of times I'm litterally connecting with a bad guy at the time it drops like it's thinking to slow so the timer drops the combo before it can read that I am connecting a kick or a punch well within the time required. But I can say the PS4 versions of the Arkham series are Abit less horrid on it but the gadgets are still buggy and won't fire off correctly in the heat of battle

Literally the only time I drop combos are either when I point my stick in the wrong direction, go for an enemy that's just a tiny bit out of range and come up short, or the enemy blocks it. When I drop a combo, I always feel like it was my fault... because it was.

Like I said, I had top 100 scores on the bulk of the combat challenge maps across most of the games. To even make a run at top 100, you have to go all 4 rounds without dropping a combo. You absolutely have too. If it was just dropping combos for no reason, I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't have been able to. The people I was competing against wouldn't have been able to either. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Well pressing triangle and still getting hit... Are you sure there aren't multiple enemies attacking you? You have to press triangle once for every enemy attacking you, up to 3.

Single enemy going at me, i press triangle and still get hit. Harder to do, when enemy is striking right after air strike or quickfire batclaw, but sometimes it works.

9 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Single enemy going at me, i press triangle and still get hit. Harder to do, when enemy is striking right after air strike or quickfire batclaw, but sometimes it works.

Yeah, most moves have some recovery frames where you can't counter during the recovery. They're small windows, but they're there.

Air strike actually has a fairly large recovery time compared to others. But when you air strike a shielded enemy, it replaces those recovery frames with i-frames, leaving you safe. I usually try to save air strike till late in the round if there's no shield enemies, most likely after a group stun or something. It's a fairly unsafe move regularly and has to be used smart.

Edited by KingGuy420

5 hours ago, Varhur said:

Camera rotating all the time, trying to counter the hit, but enemy got out of range so i dropped combo, baseball bats having unnaturally high range, quickfire gadgets not working despite putting right commands, being barely in range of an attack, doing the circle+triangle move, only for game to register triangle and put me in counter position, seemingly doing moves perfectly for enemies to hit me...

I really want to plat this game, i finished online for a reason. But Jesus, how am i supposed to git gud? I know the redirect being super powerful so don't tell me that.

For me it always felt natural. I’ve personally played all 4 when they released & just kind of got it. I feel the more you do it the more you’ll get the hang of it. If you check out Knight bats will be the least of your worries, never felt op to me.

As for the Triangle + Circle giving a counter thing, that was a problem for me at first too. I wasn't pressing them at the exact same time. I got better at it, although I do still miss X + O sometimes, that ones just awkward for my thumb lol.

I have no advice for explosive gel. I'm more of a Batarang / Freeze Blast / Grapple Claw kinda guy.

Literally the only time I drop combos are either when I point my stick in the wrong direction, go for an enemy that's just a tiny bit out of range and come up short, or the enemy blocks it. When I drop a combo, I always feel like it was my fault... because it was.

Like I said, I had top 100 scores on the bulk of the combat challenge maps across most of the games. To even make a run at top 100, you have to go all 4 rounds without dropping a combo. You absolutely have too. If it was just dropping combos for no reason, I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't have been able to. The people I was competing against wouldn't have been able to either. 

Exactly... there’s never been a time I felt cheated. Always because it my mess up.

13 hours ago, NamoPh said:

I already liked Origins more than its predecessors because it was the first one to put some effort into making the storyline at least somewhat compelling, as opposed to the other 3 games that kept revolving around the

Hide contents

Titan toxin

long after it stopped making sense. You know, since

Hide contents

Batman cured himself in each of the previous games and yet was somehow still infected by the time Knight rolled around.

But then Arkham Knight came out and made that statement false for a considerable amount of people.

So because it had a story that covered 3 games it's bad? Makes sense. Also if you follow the story, your last statement is wrong. It explains how he's still infected.

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

So because it had a story that covered 3 games it's bad? Makes sense. Also if you follow the story, your last statement is wrong. It explains how he's still infected.

No, it's bad for sticking to a story arc way after it no longer makes sense to stick to, instead of coming up with something new and interesting. And if you mean about how

Spoiler

Joker injected him with his Titan infected blood in Arkham City, care to explain how Joker has survived 1,5 year with the Titan infection, while Batman would have died the same night he was injected with it if not for the demon blood and then the cure? That's not how that works at all, you don't get a synchronized death with the person who infected you.

To OP, easiest way to win a battle:

1. Don't use any quickfire gadgets (only Batclaw (L1+:triangle::square:)  if enemy is far away).

2. Always go for a Beatdown Takedown (cape stun an enemy with :circle:, then keep pressing :square: until you beat him/her, while paying attention for counter opportunity (:triangle: )).

3. If you feel you can't counter an attack, get behind an enemy with d+pad towards him/her+:cross:,:cross:, cape stun, beatdown.

4. For guys with shields, press :circle:,:cross:,:cross: or use Special Combo Takedown ( :triangle:+:circle:) or Weapon Break (:square:+:triangle:).

5. For guys with electric batons get behind him and press :square:,:square:,:square: if you are starting a combo or while you are in 5+ combo get behind him & press :square: only once or use Special Combo Takedown or Weapon Break.

6. If an enemy is down & other enemies are far away use Ground Pound Takedown (L2+:triangle:).

7. When you get electric gauntlets, wait for them to charge, press :l3:+:r3: & go for punishment!

Hope it helps dude (or babe)!

• Like 3

I do kind of agree with the people saying that starting with Origins is probably part of the problem. The combat got more complicated with each successive game and it's hard to pick up in the middle... not to mention Origins has some of the hardest boss fights of the entire series. That said, once you get the electric gauntlets it's all over and most of the combat becomes BY FAR the easiest out of all of the games. I call them the "win gloves."

But, I promise it's not broken... it just takes a while to get the timing right - it's almost like a rhythm game, where you have to get into the groove of the fight. If you're trying to go too fast, you're going to screw up - you have more time to keep your combo than you think. 

And, even though it seems like the game is trying to teach you to rely on counter, that's almost never the right move to make. Most of the time, the best option is to use the :cross::cross: move to jump over them as @kenseizenkai said above. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Varhur said:

You should've started with Asylum. I assume you went with Origins first, because of the online trophies, but from my experience, the combat on Origins is one of the easier of the various games. Iirc you get electric gloves that help a lot (that might be City? Been a while) But, I understand. The combat can be a bitch on the Arkham games, especially considering you need to do all sorts of gadgets during the combos (Spider-Man had much better fluidity with its combat imo). Camera moving around will fuck you up, but all I can say is, remained focused. When you're beating on a baddie, check your surroundings, so you can be ready to counter normal enemies, or jump over armored enemies. 

It might help to play Shadow of Mordor, as they have pretty similar combat. Get good on Mordor, then come back maybe?

16 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Years later, I played Asylum followed by City, which did help me a lot, and finally revisited this game. Origins almost feels like you're supposed to know how the previous two work, since there are way more gadgets etc to learn in this one. 

What always throws me off with those games is they changed the combat buttons between games. So when you're used to combat on one, you're immediately tripped up on the sequel. 

16 hours ago, NamoPh said:

3 games that kept revolving around the

Technically the 3 games revolve around Joker, more than the titan/venom serum.

13 hours ago, Crimsonfire44 said:

Every disc I bought/rented something went wrong in the opening

I believe it's available on PS Now. 

13 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

You have to press triangle once for every enemy attacking you, up to 3.

Hmm, so was the double takedown only in City?

5 hours ago, NamoPh said:

No, it's bad for sticking to a story arc way after it no longer makes sense to stick to, instead of coming up with something new and interesting. And if you mean about how

Hide contents

Joker injected him with his Titan infected blood in Arkham City, care to explain how Joker has survived 1,5 year with the Titan infection, while Batman would have died the same night he was injected with it if not for the demon blood and then the cure? That's not how that works at all, you don't get a synchronized death with the person who infected you.

But it doesn't. First game is about Titan. Second is about the aftermath of it. Third game Batman is still infected but it's mostly about the Arkham Knight.

The virus mutated and grew in Jokers blood. Injecting Batman with that would of given Batman a more potent dose of it