The save system in this game is such BS.

Ao_Iconoclast

So I completed the game once about 3 years ago. In my playthrough Jessica died because I failed one QTE prompt with Mike.

Fast Forward to today, I attempt another playthrough. This time having everyone survive and collecting the missing collectables.

Last chapter, I forget to pick up Hannah's Diary in the mines and because of that Josh died and the game saved. I thought to myself, "Ok, I messed up, let's reload the chapter". When I reloaded the chapter, it reloaded the progress of my first playthrough (with Jessica dead since lile chapter 2-3). I was mad at first but since it didn't autosave right away, I was able to resume my current run by quitting to the menu and booting up the game again. 

Now I thought that, if I finished my run, since there was no way for me to go back, that the game would save this progress as the newer one and that I could restart at the last chapter and undo my mistake. But nope... the game only saves your very first playthrough...

I am so pissed off right now. I'll wait a week or two before going at it... again.

Edited by Ao_Iconoclast
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, djb5f said:

It’s been quite awhile since I played but don’t remember any save issues. I played first run blind and finished up other runs with a guide.  Worked easily without any issues so try that if you want to make it simple.

Following a guide isn't the issue, I did follow one. I simply skipped a line by mistake. The issue is that game basically has 2 save file states; 1 being your original run (anytime you would select a chapter it would load your decisions from your 1st playthrough no matter how many playthroughs you did) and 2 your current run by selecting play/continue. But since the game saves very often, if you were to make 1 tiny mistake like I did, there's a chance you couldn't undo it.

• 3 months later...

Oh dude... Literally, the exact same situation happened to me as well! I started via chapter select to save everyone as Matt had died early on in my early blind playthrough and that last collectible that saves Josh screwed me over as I had already collected it but never knew I had to pick it up again (saved him previous playthrough)!

Don't know why but I basically went back to 6 right away and did it again, nearly burnt out haha.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I started from chapter 5. I saved matt by jumping and shot the wendigo (I think) and played all the way to end (the cut scenes showed him not being hooked, no head in Hannah's lair and no hanging body) he didnt show up when jessica reappears in chapter 10. 

Somehow I seemed to have messed it up. 

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to start a new game and collect everything again? 

Any suggestions?

32 minutes ago, redrum_five said:

Hey, I started from chapter 5. I saved matt by jumping and shot the wendigo (I think) and played all the way to end (the cut scenes showed him not being hooked, no head in Hannah's lair and no hanging body) he didnt show up when jessica reappears in chapter 10. 

Somehow I seemed to have messed it up. 

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to start a new game and collect everything again? 

Any suggestions?

Hmm...that’s odd. The only things I can think of that could be going wrong are A: You didn’t shoot the wendigo and somehow missed seeing his death scene & his head in Hannah’s lair OR B: You didn’t let the cutscene in Chapter 10 play out long enough for him to appear. 

If A, and everyone else is still alive in that run (I assume you’re going for the last three trophies), you don’t need to start from the beginning. Just restart from Chapter 5 and be sure you save Matt (there are less risky options than shooting the wendigo that will keep everyone alive). 

If neither A or B, that’s a very odd glitch I’ve never heard of before. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Hmm...that’s odd. The only things I can think of that could be going wrong are A: You didn’t shoot the wendigo and somehow missed seeing his death scene & his head in Hannah’s lair OR B: You didn’t let the cutscene in Chapter 10 play out long enough for him to appear. 

If A, and everyone else is still alive in that run (I assume you’re going for the last three trophies), you don’t need to start from the beginning. Just restart from Chapter 5 and be sure you save Matt (there are less risky options than shooting the wendigo that will keep everyone alive). 

If neither A or B, that’s a very odd glitch I’ve never heard of before. 

Hey thanks for your help, just need to keep all and the boys alive for the plat. I didnt see a cut scene with the wendigo after I shot it, it just went blank and then cut to the next set of characters. I guess I didnt shoot it after all.

What are the "less risky options"

Choices I made- I got the flare gun and kept it. I jumped rather than save Emily.

I guess I need to play it all the way to the end the... is that in one sitting or can I quit and play later (I have read contrasting options on that). 

Will have another go later. ?

3 hours ago, redrum_five said:

Hey thanks for your help, just need to keep all and the boys alive for the plat. I didnt see a cut scene with the wendigo after I shot it, it just went blank and then cut to the next set of characters. I guess I didnt shoot it after all.

What are the "less risky options"

Choices I made- I got the flare gun and kept it. I jumped rather than save Emily.

I guess I need to play it all the way to the end the... is that in one sitting or can I quit and play later (I have read contrasting options on that). 

Will have another go later. 1f644.png

You can give the flare gun to Emily, then try to save her once on the tower, then jump to safety during the second prompt. 

And if I recall correctly you don’t have to play through everything in one sittting. But you cannot skip any chapters once you start 5. A.K.A: Even if you do everything right in 5, you can’t back out and immediately start the last chapter-it will use your original save. Just always select “Resume” on the opening screen, never “Episodes.” 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, TimeLordCrow13y said:

You can give the flare gun to Emily, then try to save her once on the tower, then jump to safety during the second prompt. 

And if I recall correctly you don’t have to play through everything in one sittting. But you cannot skip any chapters once you start 5. A.K.A: Even if you do everything right in 5, you can’t back out and immediately start the last chapter-it will use your original save. Just always select “Resume” on the opening screen, never “Episodes.” 

Thank you ?‍♂️for your help, have taken your advice. Will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Thanks for your help did it tonight. It obviously glitched last time ?.  ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redrum_five said:

Thanks for your help did it tonight. It obviously glitched last time 1f62c.png1f4a5.png1f44a.png

Happy I could help!!! :D Sorry about it glitching on you the first time though. I went through my own issues getting all the trophies for this game, because, as the title of this thread says, the save system is BS. 

18 hours ago, lostforever77 said:

It's not horrible

You're just annoyed at the trophies

No, no I really disliked the game. Hated the characters and the dialogues. It wasn't the promised satire of horror movies it was just plain bad.

On 22.5.2021 at 0:41 AM, lostforever77 said:

No

What do you mean "No"? ?

Yes, for me the characters were written really badly and just fulfilled every cliche you saw a thosuand times but worse. Hearing the typical High School jock and the dumb blond girl talk about their shallow relationship was just cringy and bad. People just don't talk like that. And that applied to almost every character. There is also a fine line between straight up trash or making fun of a genre. Movies like Scouts Vs. Zombies, Piranha 3D or Zombeaver did a pretty good job by knowing how to portray certain tropes. Until Sawn did not. Here it was just exhausting. Plus, this game wasn't scary at all. I don't need actual gameplay when the atmosphere or the story are good but Until Dawn fails in so many regards that it got nothing to entertain me.

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2019 at 0:41 PM, djb5f said:

It’s been quite awhile since I played but don’t remember any save issues. I played first run blind and finished up other runs with a guide.  Worked easily without any issues so try that if you want to make it simple.

I came back to this game after playing it 6 years ago and just followed a guide and got the plat in less than a morning. I just started over from the beginning and made sure i did what i had to do for them trophies.