Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otterborn64

How Many of You REALLY Platinum'd the Game?

52 posts in this topic

I got the Jak II (and Jak 3) platinum twice, legit. Had to as a long long time running and huge Jak fan.

Lol, I've played it back on the PS2 and pretty much 100% it few times over. I surely didn't mind doing so one more time each for the three easy (For me that is) platinums.

Edit: Well, here we are with the PS4 emulations of the original PS2 versions, and like before, I yet again did the exploit, but much earlier this time by doing it after beating each sequel's first act. Why not do it the minute I can start work on the orb search side missions? Simple; I ain’t that fond about purely grinding collectibles/currency X amount of times, especially when I've got a story mode to beat as quickly as possible before a day ends. Now to start work on Jak X and LocoRoco 2 before the year ends.

PS2: No, cos like ROBOCRIPPLE_, I also didn't know that it existed till recent times, with my introduction to the exploit being the posts for it on the GameFAQs Jak II & 3 ps2 cheat pages, then I looked up the ps3 vers. on Youtube to see if the trick doesn’t lock out trophies, and here I am now telling you my stories. Hell, I didn't even know that there WERE 286 orbs in Jak II at the time.

As for how far I got? Enough to get all of Jak II’s secrets (well, on the main file anyway. Bugger hero mode’s version of Destroy ship at Drill Platform, so no legit Mega Scrap Book for me :() and the majority of Jak 3’s secrets (I just need the more expensive cheats, such as the infinite alter ego ones, and that’s everything minus the 600/600 orbs outfit sorted)

PS3: Was doing the orb trophies in both Jak sequels legit both before and after they were beaten once (i.e. whenever I was done earning other trophies for a day, I’d go back to either till I was done with the orb searches I missed or stuff like racing minigames for the time being) until my system yellow-lighted about an hour after I got the Alice: Madness Returns platinum ('twas the 60GB one as well :(). And while I backed all my saves up to both my Online Storage and USB stick shortly before it happened, me, being the right numpty I am, didn’t use the “copy all” function on all the saves that were applicable to both thanks to all those O.S.-only saves, such as A:MR, not letting me use it for some reason, and thus pretty much conditioning me into copying them all one at a time just so my OCD wouldn’t kick in.

Anyway, just as I was about to copy jak 1 over, bye-bye 60gb ps3. So the following morning, I asked my friend next door if I could borrow his ps3 till I not only platinum’d the jak sequels via the exploits, but start work on and beat Mirror’s Edge on hard mode. He agreed, so I did all that, let him have his console back once I was done copying and deleting my content off of it, and the ps3 I got on the same day I got my first Mini Ninjas trophy has been with me ever since.

PSVita: Course I did it, they're the vita ports, they don’t even deserve the effort 😝.

Edited by LGravy
Wanted to add an update to my post, plus give it more detail

Did use the orb glitch. It save me time and less anger to get the paltinum. It's part of the game, it's not like hacking so it's there for use.

Lol. A Platinum is a Platinum. Be it by a exploit or playing the game "legit" as long as no hacking was involved.

Still need to play this game series. I'm thinking for my Vita instead of my PS3.

Exactly!

If glitching counted, the GT5 plat would be even more rare.

Using glitches isn't dishonorable. unless a glitch is fixed, it is part of the game ...

Couldn't have said it better

I plat'ed Jak I pretty easily. I had no issues.

I played Jak II for around two weeks. Then I got the mission where you need to race to some location with a time and I haven't now played the game in over a year and some. I just plat'ed Rainbow Moon, so I'm gonna give Jak II another go. I'm really not looking forward to it...

I wasn't planning on using the glitch, but I might just do it now!

i couldn't figure out where to replay some of the mini games, and the mini games and races were hard enough the first time. so i used the orb glitch 

hey i'm trying to plat this right now, are you saying that by using the orb glitch you can unlock the race trophies?

My plan (I'm going for the platinum now) is to do the best I can in each mini game (races, gun courses, etc.) until I get sick of it; hopefully getting at least silver. Then, I'll use the orb glitch to save myself hours upon hours of frustration trying to get 'perfect' times/scores.

how does the orb glitch get you the trophies for the mini games?

I am playing it now and do plan on using the glitch the end to get whatever remaining orbs I need. For two reasons. One, the flying mechanics are jacked up so just getting through the races will be a pain in itself. Two, I don't feel like hunting down a final orb that I have no clue where its at since there is no menu device that tells you what level or area the orbs are and how many you have left. Never been a fan of collectables. Especially when they have hundreds and one collectable can prevent you from a plat.

PS After trying to do the shooting 5 Hellcats mission, I will feel no guilt using the orb glitch. 

Edited by Mournblade05143

I remember I collected all the orbs on the ps2....so I did some of the orb collection on the HD version. I think I did like 80 something...and then I stopped. Now going to use the orb glitch to get the rest. I just want the platinum at this point.

If there is a glitch, I would surely use it to achieve a Platinum, the quickiest fastiest way possible.

edit: and "dishonor" pfttt, nobody has honor these days. And dishonor playing a game is the least I would care about.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

I did most of the gold stuff, just didn't do the shooting range bs. The gun controls are garbage. I did however cheapo the last boss. In any case, I've already done this game 100% on PS2 "legit".

Honestly though, this game isn't very hard, and it's pretty short. Just a couple of annoying missable orbs and the terrible shooting range.

FFXIII and Ni No Kuni plats are both quite easy...

Edited by MMDE

It's actually not all that bad as you may think. There's a lot of worse platinums out there.

1. 10% is not prestigious

2. The games would probably have the same rarity that they have now because the games aren't hard and it is likely that trophy hunters would use the glitch while someone who didn't care about the trophy wouldn't. If the glitch wasn't possible, the same people would likely have the platinum because a trophy hunter isn't going to let games as easy as these be incomplete

3. Final Fantasy XIII, Ni no Kuni, and L.A. Noire are not extremely time consuming or difficult platinums. They are, however, as difficult as Jak 2 and Jak 3 so you are correct in that respect.

4. Glitches are part of the game. It is as legitimate as grinding out levels on in an rpg so that you are overleveled and the game is easier. Anyone who used the glitch to get the platinum did really platinum the game

5. Why the hell did someone bump this thread earlier today? A mod should really lock the thread...

Just plated Jak 2 i dont used the orb glitch i got most of stuff on ps2 (Onin, gun courses, jetboard, location egg, side missions) without the races that dont glue me enought so I started new game that time. So on ps3 got all stuff with little help of online guides on races (on what straits use boost etc) Port race easy af. City race - rage quit few time cuz of those fat fucks that walking near ring and push u away from rings if u hit em. And what i think about orb glitch, its pretty much ok if u do it at the end of a game so ur list at least looks legit. But when i see someone get all 286 before beating last boss (after him u got 3 missions for last 9 orbs) ^^^^^ DISHONORED.

Agree with above on when to do the glitch - do it as the last trophy before the plat.

For me - I think using the glitch is fine, due to terrible diffculty of the game's challenges. To me doing all the challenges legit bumps the plat diffculty up to 7.5/10.

In Jak II I never could get down the extra stadium races or the jetboard challenge - roughly 80 orbs there. So I glitched for those orbs on both my PS3 and Vita playthroughs - and the PS2 version's 100% is left unfinished ;P. The rest of the challenges I did legit.

Jak 3 is actually quite fun for me to do all 600 orbs legit - except for the eco grid game. Did all 600 orbs legit on PS2 and PS3, Vita version was a bit laggy for me and so I had to glitch the gold orbs for that eco game (3 orbs total).

So I do have a legit plat - Jak 3 on PS3.

The whole "I did the glitch because I did it already on ps2" doesn't mean anything. Or you got the platinum "legit" or you don't.

OP: I did a few on Jak 2 legit but then I got bored and I decided to use the glitch so much easier and faster ;D

I used the orb glitch for both the games. I remember getting most of them legit on the PS2 however.

Agree with above on when to do the glitch - do it as the last trophy before the plat.

For me - I think using the glitch is fine, due to terrible diffculty of the game's challenges. To me doing all the challenges legit bumps the plat diffculty up to 7.5/10.

It doesn't matter when the glitch is used. It equally weighs the same whether you do it after or before beating the game, so also beating the game first does not justify it being ok to use the glitch.

Most of the challenges difficulty is actually balanced. Its perfect for defining 'practice makes perfect'. One of the few games that constructed challenges properly. The terrible difficulty applies to the story missions which is because of the poorly balanced checkpoints, not the challenges. The checkpoints is mostly why Jak II is a difficult game to beat. 7.5 is a stretch. It's not that hard, it simply just takes skill.

I was tempted to for Jak 3, but I had a crisis of conscience and decided not to and have been bouncing back and forth tossing it up since. They are complete and utter bullshit to get in both games, but they are a collectible so I intend to get them legitimately should I go back to them.

The same however can't be said of the Bolt Collector trophy in Ratchet and Clank 1. It is such a bullshit amount of a non-collectible resource that you have to get that I just used the glitch there.  Also yeah these glitches were present in the original release too. 

This is the only trophy in Jak 2 I would use a glitch for cuz it's so ridiculously tedious and it also requires backtracking/checking every nook and cranny (boring), it just seems like a trophy that the publisher thought would be much more reasonable to get than it turned out to be (like the bolt collector trophy, etc.), I mean getting the other trophies is way easier and basically just takes a full story-mode playthrough to get them just like in Jak 1. Btw I got the Bolt Collector trophy for RAC 1 legit and it put me off playing the game again lol.  -_- 

The game is fun and great but grinding trophies like these make it boring, monotonous and tedious. Another great example of an awesome game with a crappy platinum. Using the glitch is nothing more than a necessity.

Edited by louk76

I did the glitch here on PS3 for the Platinum, but I had really actually earned all 286 Orbs legit in the original version back when I cared about the game, and it really was difficult. To be fair, I only did it until I had enough to trigger all the infinite power and invincibility cheats so I could breeze through the hard combat missions, then I got the remaining orbs fairly - this saved me having to get the orbs in the Metal Head Nest later on.

(This is my future self talking, mind you. I have just started the trophy hunt on it.)

Edited by DetectiveCJ

No glitch used for me. I played both numerous times on PS2, so I kind of knew what to do. A few races and challenges were difficult but wasn't that bad overall. 100% legit.