FFVIII Remastered Trophy Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, vanesamacri said:

All of those are missable in the sense that you don't get them through story progression. You have to go out of your way and do side activities to get them. If you play the game without knowing how to encounter those GFs beforehand, there's a chance you won't find them.

I doubt anyone can normally find Bahamut... that shit was good old cryptic bs, lol.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, vanesamacri said:

All of those are missable in the sense that you don't get them through story progression. You have to go out of your way and do side activities to get them. If you play the game without knowing how to encounter those GFs beforehand, there's a chance you won't find them.

"Missable" meant that you only have limited chances to get them... they'll be always obtainable even at the very end of CD4 when most towns become inaccessible.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:45 PM, Scruffington94 said:

I wish we could get the title changed to just "Final Fantasy VIII" and drop the "Remastered." I mean, FFIX was essentially a remaster and it didn't have that in the title :(

They did a LOT more for this game, which is why it's remastered. It got essentially the same treatment as FFX. With new models, textures, and other little adjustments. FFIX was just an upscaled port.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

They did a LOT more for this game, which is why it's remastered. It got essentially the same treatment as FFX. With new models, textures, and other little adjustments. FFIX was just an upscaled port.

It still looks like the PC version to me, except for the new models (no, contrary to popular belief, they don't exist as free mods, not of that quality)

The only things that interest me, regardless of platform, are the PS1 music and controller buttons, without the need of mods, and general bugfixes.

These trophies will be a breeze for anyone who has ever truly played FF8. The one I was shyly looking for was the steam trophy for a LVL 7* Squall game ending. Thank god it wasn't there, doable but not wanted.

Edited by Asmund89

21 hours ago, QQQ_AX said:

Wow, so many confusing missables even coming from people who seem to know the game too well.

If any of you tough guy downplayers calling the game "easy" miss any trophy and get out of order, it will be really ironic.

Can we get a full in-order guide of missables if you guys are so pro?

You people have already ruined this list's reputation and value with the rampant downplaying with yet another "trophy thoughts" thread, and hurting the game's excitement for many, so at least we can get guides out of it?

I have to now come into this feeling like some loser if I even do complete it, that I'm doing a worthless easy list, instead of a detailed big list revisiting an old game that is a miracle to get trophies in the first place. a 50-100 hour plus list with uncheatable elements like the cards and littered with missables, and we are to feel like it's a short joke because people had to once again, before the the game is even out, declare what their "thoughts were". You are all ungrateful.

Posts like this are why I’ve all but given up trophy hunting. ‘Feeling like a loser’ completing one of the best RPGs ever because some people think it’s easier than expected? 

Nothing’s stopping you doing a Level 1 run or collecting every TT card if you want.

People play games for the wrong reasons now. Just enjoy the nice Remaster and the chance to step into the world of FF8 again. If you get a Platinum by the end of the journey than all the better for it.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 4:50 PM, QQQ_AX said:

What exactly are the missables in this list? What guide should be followed that can get you the missables + story walkthrough?

Steam has a different list and Gamefaqs old guides tend to be overly elaborate and write too much.

I used this guide for FFVII platinum, and it was very concise and line breaks everything for easy understanding.

http://ps3imports.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7166-final-fantasy-vii-platinum-trophy-walkthrough/

Something like this for VIII would be great. If I have to go in blind I guarantee I will miss trophies and/or get stuck; thus not an 'easy' completion like what is being said in these threads.

Missables:

Closest someone ever got to my knowledge unless you go through the walls of text.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/55368130

Guide Recommendation: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/266152-final-fantasy-viii-remastered/faqs/72431

It was written in 2016 in HTML style so a lot less text, and it's easier to follow IMO vs the old school endless columns of text. I've been using both of those so far and to my knowledge I'm on point trophy and story wise. The guide will list cards, directions, side quests, pickups, and the various details etc. that you expect from a guide. While the missable list will help you keep the guide in check in case you read over something accidentally or at the least give you a point of reference when to expect you're next missable. It's still a lot of text but far less than the old school guides.

Edited by Asmund89

3 hours ago, Asmund89 said:

Missables:

Closest someone ever got to my knowledge unless you go through the walls of text.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/55368130

Not bad, but it seems to have more than the text needed and while reading through it I had a hard time understanding some points, even when I already know a lot about the game.

My recommendation is: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600052120

It comes with screenshots so it's easier to see what the guide explains.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Not bad, but it seems to have more than the text needed and while reading through it I had a hard time understanding some points, even when I already know a lot about the game.

My recommendation is: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600052120

Those guides have ALL missables right, is there any missables there that are NOT requirements for platinum as I know a lot of achievements have been removed??

Thanks in advance ;)

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

Those guides have ALL missables right, is there any missables there that are NOT requirements for platinum as I know a lot of achievements have been removed??

Thanks in advance ;)

You could filter that yourself or wait for a PS4 specific guide.

Basically you only need to do the CC members quest, PuPu, Obel Lake and gather all Timber Maniacs magazines, so you could just copy and paste those parts.

Other than that you need all GF. The drawable ones you only get 2 chances.

Also, a lot of things become inaccessible after finishing Disc 3 (which is the last boss before entering the final dungeon), so it's best to do everything you want before heading into the final dungeon.

21 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

You could filter that yourself or wait for a PS4 specific guide.

Basically you only need to do the CC members quest, PuPu, Obel Lake and gather all Timber Maniacs magazines, so you could just copy and paste those parts.

Other than that you need all GF. The drawable ones you only get 2 chances.

Also, a lot of things become inaccessible after finishing Disc 3 (which is the last boss before entering the final dungeon), so it's best to do everything you want before heading into the final dungeon.

That steam guide looks very good that you linked.

Are any parts relating to CC members, Pupu, Obel Lake, TM and GF all clearly identified in that guide????? It's just if im only following certain information in it, I don't want to miss something linked to one of these requirements just because the guide may have it under 'card's or something like that.......

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

That steam guide looks very good that you linked.

Are any parts relating to CC members, Pupu, Obel Lake, TM and GF all clearly identified in that guide????? It's just if im only following certain information in it, I don't want to miss something linked to one of these requirements just because the guide may have it under 'card's or something like that.......

Cheers

Each section has it's own title. As far as I can see it makes mentions of each thing in each section. For example it says "Ifrit GF + Ifrit Card", so it's not gonna just say "This GF Card" if it's also about obtaining the GF.

It's in chronological order so you can follow as you play.

3 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Oh wow that's actually really nice, it omits a few optional side quests and extra scenes, but that is very concise as far high priority missables go and the pictures will probably help a ton. Definitely the superior guide, great find man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Each section has it's own title. As far as I can see it makes mentions of each thing in each section. For example it says "Ifrit GF + Ifrit Card", so it's not gonna just say "This GF Card" if it's also about obtaining the GF.

Not really, just seems to have area and disc headers.

I found an example of what I mean though:

Not far from the top of the guide, it has Balamb Garden as an header. Now under this it states a missable (Weapon Mon Apr). Now when I first looked at this I thought it was hinting at a missable scene, but LUCKILY, in the image it says 'Weapon Monthly April Issue', so its a magazine that I need.

Im worries if I avoid certain stuff that I may 'overlook' something that may be not clearly apparent EXACTLY what it is.....

Im actually quite worried actually ;(

EDIT:

In fact, I think im worrying a bit too much lol, I will do what I can in my first playthrough, then any optimising I will do on further playthroughd

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 5:31 PM, AndresLionheart said:

Hey buddy, just a quick question about that guide;

How time accurate is it, as in how optimal is it??

I ask because only a few steps in I have found a few things it has you doing which waste time;

1. To begin, it tells you to check the class console. Theres no need to do this as these are story related GFs.

2. It tells you to take the tour with the girl when you leave the class. No need to take that as well, you can get the cards without going with her, in fact going with means you have to come back up I think.

3. The Magical Lamp is story related as well.

These are just a few instances that just show to me its not very optimised.

I know Im being VERY picky, it is a great guide hes put to together, please dont think I dont think that.

Hey buddy, just a quick question about that guide;

How time accurate is it, as in how optimal is it??

I ask because only a few steps in I have found a few things it has you doing which waste time;

1. To begin, it tells you to check the class console. Theres no need to do this as these are story related GFs.

2. It tells you to take the tour with the girl when you leave the class. No need to take that as well, you can get the cards without going with her, in fact going with means you have to come back up I think.

3. The Magical Lamp is story related as well.

I know Im being VERY picky, it is a great guide hes put to together, please dont think I dont think that.

Technically they are story related(I'm almost positive you get them regardless).

But it does save time because you can junction magic sooner.

Ya there's 0 need to take Selphie on the tour, that's a 10 min tutorial for new people to the game that becomes extinct pretty quick. It's mostly for his decisions/mood(which btw change what scene you get later on, trivial scene, but fun fact)

The Magical Lamp is NOT story related. If you dont talk to Cid again he will not give it to you. It will be lost

Although again (almost(not Gilgamesh(Gilgamesh isnt a trophy though for those that are wondering)) every summon can be gained at the end of the game. Though I wouldnt call that story related either.

Edited by Dav9834
Added more to Gilgamesh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Trophy-wise it's extremelly unoptimized since it's meant for the Steam achievements, so it will tell you to do way more than you need to. It was never meant to optimize the time spent playing, it was meant as a simple to follow guide with few words and pictures, which is way better than having to slog through a complete walkthrough. This way you get to play the game yourself while having a helper telling you when to stop for a missable (and some non-missables as well, I guess).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

The Magical Lamp is NOT story related. If you dont talk to Cid again he will not give it to you. It will be lost

It is in my game, so either my game is bugged or your is.

Twice now I have gotten it naturally, its just talking to him yourself again lets you get it about a second earlier.

If you just exit the garden after the scene, he stops you and gives you the ML. 

Please explain why this is story related for me when apparently it ISNT?? Is my game bugged or something, or something changed on this version??

If I DONT talk to him after, he stops me when I leave and gives it to me naturally!

2 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Trophy-wise it's extremelly unoptimized since it's meant for the Steam achievements, so it will tell you to do way more than you need to. It was never meant to optimize the time spent playing, it was meant as a simple to follow guide with few words and pictures, which is way better than having to slog through a complete walkthrough. This way you get to play the game yourself while having a helper telling you when to stop for a missable (and some non-missables as well, I guess).

Oh yea, of course, I just mean some of the steps are not prioritising time. Its more it prioritises the earliest opportunity, not the most time efficient opportunity

Its only a minor flaw, to myself anyway, it is very good and I bet took him a lot of time to put together for us

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

It is in my game, so either my game is bugged or your is.

Twice now I have gotten it naturally, its just talking to him yourself again lets you get it about a second earlier.

If you just exit the garden after the scene, he stops you and gives you the ML. 

Please explain why this is story related for me when apparently it ISNT?? Is my game bugged or something, or something changed on this version??

If I DONT talk to him after, he stops me when I leave and gives it to me naturally!

i don't remember that being in the original, I'm going off memory so I guess I'm wrong, sorry my mistake.

If he stops you then ya it's unmissable, unless you don't use the lamp, but that's a grey area.

48 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

i don't remember that being in the original, I'm going off memory so I guess I'm wrong, sorry my mistake.

If he stops you then ya it's unmissable, unless you don't use the lamp, but that's a grey area.

Hmmm, interesting, I wonder what other minor changes they may have made....

Is there anything else of a equal importance you think I should keep an eye on and experiment with briefly for search of a change as well?m

Hmmm, interesting, I wonder what other minor changes they may have made....

Is there anything else of a equal importance you think I should keep an eye on and experiment with briefly for search of a change as well?m

I'm not saying they changed it, I just don't remember it being that way.

I'm sure most of the game is true to what it was. 

Though on just things they may have changed, it did seem they changed the tutorials a bit from Quistis, but I'm not sure on that at all sense I would skip them once I learned how and that was 20 years ago. Just seemed it

Magic Lamp is missable. Yes, Cid gives it to you if you try to leave the Garden after the mission briefing, but not if you go back into the Garden instead. Mind you, even then the lamp can still be obtained if you talk to Cid again at his office in 3F. However, if you don't, it will be forever lost once you take the train to Timber.

Edit: it's a good idea to visit Cid at his office regardless, as you can play Triple Triad with him and get Seifer's card early in the game. 

Edited by DocJackson-

1 hour ago, DocJackson- said:

Magic Lamp is missable. Yes, Cid gives it to you if you try to leave the Garden after the mission briefing, but not if you go back into the Garden instead. Mind you, even then the lamp can still be obtained if you talk to Cid again at his office in 3F. However, if you don't, it will be forever lost once you take the train to Timber.

Edit: it's a good idea to visit Cid at his office regardless, as you can play Triple Triad with him and get Seifer's card early in the game. 

Yes, thank you, somebody on another site confirmed the same.

It was some of the guides were confusing as they say you MUST talk to him again for the ML, but actually you can just leave the garden instead and still get it.

About the card games, Im having to ignore them, there just too difficult for a beginner trying to do them all early on with a bad hand. Hoping to come back later when I have naturally gotten more through progression to save all the trial and error.

I know I card just card bombs in the fire cavern for an hour hoping for 5 rare boss cards, but I just wanna see if its just as easy if you go with the cards you get with natural progression, saves grinding them then

• 1 year later...
On ‎02‎.‎09‎.‎2019 at 2:55 PM, vanesamacri said:

Going out of your way to get them is not the same as missable.

Missable means that you can play in a certain way or to a certain point where the GFs are not obtainable anymore and you need to restart the whole game to get them.

This is not the case.

Odin, Cactuar, Tonberry, Brothers, Bahamut can allways be caught after e certain point.

Once you are far enough into the game to get them there is no point in the game where you have to restart in order to get them again.

Edited by Lordidude