FFVIII Censorship

Dav9834

3 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

You cannot reason with the "who carez" crowd. If someone doesn't understand simple concepts such as integrity or freedom, then you're just wasting your time trying to explain why censorship is wrong.

Ya I'm getting that feeling. Some people don't care till it keeps going and effects them more, and then it's too late.

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

Until it no longer is something minor, and consumers can no longer do anything about it. Why people argue against their own interests is beyond me.

^^^^This

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I would find it more tasteful if they would replace the guns with water guns. And the swords with pool noodles. It doesn't affect anything.

You dont think that, in today's climate, they wouldnt face some backlash at having Siren's bush fully visible?

Be realistic 

9 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

It doesn't matter how "minor" you think it is. People are against censorship, and for good reason. Trying to find varying degrees of it that you're willing to accept renders the whole issue pointless.

Same point, company has to protect itself from backlash

Edited by AJ_-_808
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, damon8r351 said:

I knew you had nothing! News cycle's pulling your strings just like every other puppet here who thinks they're a freedom fighter. 1f602.png

Oh yes, unlike you, as smart as the scripted  guy in your avatar. There is no shortage of people thinking they're smarter and different than others in the world, and you're no exception. You're probably the one posting the most in this thread, so I'll ask you this: why so focused on people (and that emoticon) not liking censorship? You said  that FF6 was censored at the start,  and copypasted the stuff from tvtropes, isn't that exactly a good argument for people against censorship, so that  it's avoided that someone brings up this exact point the next time? I'm sure you're capable enough to be aware, or at least read on tvtropes other examples of censorship that aren't related to female body types, South Park completely scratched a gameplay mechanic for example, so how do you define when censorship is fine and when is it  not? Especially when of all things it's a 20 year old game?  By watching on the internet the reaction of people you dislike?  You can't, and almost all immaterial actions can be rationalized by the human mind as correct, so next time could bloody well be censoring or removing  FPS with this train of thought.

Now, on topic, I'm actually mad, because this will fuel the cult following Taro got with Automata since he can't do shit without  these type of things, and as such will make damn sure he won't have censorship and fans will rejoice

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

You cannot reason with the "who carez" crowd. If someone doesn't understand simple concepts such as integrity or freedom, then you're just wasting your time trying to explain why censorship is wrong.

it depends on the level of censorship, I dont get outrage over siren's mini skirt, I get outrage when a communist country block out real news from other countries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

You dont think that, in today's climate, they do face some backlash at having Siren's bush fully visible?

Be realistic 

Same point, company has to protect itself from backlash

You face "some" backlash for anything. There are people who will complain about the Gunblade, and guns. There are plenty of things to complain about with the content of FFVIII. Like... you know, having schools to train teenagers to go to war and assassinate military leaders.

You have to know when to ignore the busybodies and to just make your art. The game would have been 100% unaffected by leaving it alone. Now they've put off "some" fans by doing this instead of putting off zero. What fan of FFVIII was going to refuse to buy this game because the character design was left intact? Not a soul. Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar. Outrage would have simply been promotion.

And since some of the stuff is likely to be intact, like Rinoa in the CG or Edea herself... and I haven't heard of Shiva being censored [yet]... nevermind far more "problematic" aspects of the game nobody who would be happy about the censorship would be happy with the game itself.

So they have simply made an inferior product and alienated some of their existing fanbase. For no reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Rihona has had her top redesigned to hide what little cleavage was on display and I might be confusing this with the PS1 version but I believe the blood has been turned green in a particular scene so it doesn't look like blood.

The "blood" thing is old, green in the West, red in Japan. ALL old versions, not sure about this.

Anyway, i don't consider this important censorship to make a fuss about. Removing sex/violent scenes in films is real censorship.

EDIT: for "blood thing" i meant the room in Ultimecia's Castle where you fight Gargantuar, there's a wall covered in blood.

Edited by Lance_87

5 minutes ago, qwerty407 said:

it depends on the level of censorship, I dont get outrage over siren's mini skirt, I get outrage when a communist country block out real news from other countries.

Those countries also censor art... and the countries where we start to accept censorship of art would all love to censor real news too. (and they already attempt it ) They just have to warm us up to accepting censorship.

Ever heard of a frog being boiled? If you slowly do it, the frog will not die. Slowly institute censorship that people accept (especially when under the guise of "protecting" people), and suddenly it gets harder to fight it when it suddenly "matters". Since we've already allowed censorship to be institutionalized. You're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

If the change is so minor, then why would there have been any backlash? This is just more proof how ridiculous censorship is.

Because it only takes a handful of SJWs to start ranting about something they likely wont even play and get other people that wouldn't even play it riled up. Not long after that, the company is taking a PR beating.

I wish people would ignore them and we wouldn't have to censor, but they dont

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Because it only takes a handful of SJWs to start ranting about something they likely wont even play and get other people that wouldn't even play it riled up. Not long after that, the company is taking a PR beating.

I wish people would ignore them and we wouldn't have to censor, but they dont

That's a dangerous "metagame", if the "OP Gear" is to be offended by something, then it'll force everyone to be offended by anything so that they can equalize the power vacuum.

Idk, this all seems like, at worst, an eye roll kind of thing (aside from the green blood, thats just stupid.  Why not cut the blood entirely if you're going to go to all the work of changing the color to make him look like....well I don't know, a plant?  My analogy game isn't on point today I guess.).  I'm wondering if the change to Siren was due to ratings boards, and Rinoa's cleavage was just another step to appease them before they could say something about it.  Then again, it seems like the boards are less strict now then they used to be, or maybe animators are just better at making things look nasty or sexual without crossing into that dreaded AO region.  I do remember a few years ago some Nintendo game came west and they had to change a lot about it because it was overly sexualized or something along those lines.  Idk, I'm not super worried about what are essentially minor character tweeks.

I do get the idea that this could snowball into something worse in terms of censorship, but I think it would be more worrisome if they were going back and censoring things in older titles (not sure they can, but idk)  instead of in the re-releases.  I think it just shows more awareness of the current social climate then a specific goal to censor.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

You face "some" backlash for anything. There are people who will complain about the Gunblade, and guns. There are plenty of things to complain about with the content of FFVIII. Like... you know, having schools to train teenagers to go to war and assassinate military leaders.

You have to know when to ignore the busybodies and to just make your art. The game would have been 100% unaffected by leaving it alone. Now they've put off "some" fans by doing this instead of putting off zero. What fan of FFVIII was going to refuse to buy this game because the character design was left intact? Not a soul. Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar. Outrage would have simply been promotion.

And since some of the stuff is likely to be intact, like Rinoa in the CG or Edea herself... and I haven't heard of Shiva being censored [yet]... nevermind far more "problematic" aspects of the game nobody who would be happy about the censorship would be happy with the game itself.

So they have simply made an inferior product and alienated some of their existing fanbase. For no reason.

Dont encourage the future snowflakes to cry about guns and military schools, they dont need any more ideas.

I dont honestly think anyone is going to not buy it because siren's bush is covered with a skirt, unless they're doing it on anti censorship principle 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I thought this would be a good place to post censoring in games of any kind, seems I was wrong. We're divided here just as much as on toxic Twitter. 

10 years ago I think everyone would have been wanting to be aware of the unecessary changes found so far, especially censorship in any way.

(Most of us didn't know 20 years ago that the fake Galbadia president was red in Japan and blue here for censorship, news didnt travel as fast, but I'm sure many would have been annoyed)

I'm not outraged, but censoring anything in a game thats been out for 20 years is unnecessary.

And I thought gamers would care more like we did in the past(we did very much so back then) and it's because of us older gamers that you have games that have minimal to no censorship today. Unless you really preferred the green/blue wtvr blood in Mortal Combat on the n64, among everything else))

I think people just put up with more these days. I'm really against lootboxes and micro transactions but so many people are just like "meh it's part of gaming now" that annoys me so much.

3 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I thought this would be a good place to post censoring in games of any kind, seems I was wrong. We're divided here just as much as on toxic Twitter. 

10 years ago I think everyone would have been wanting to be aware of the unecessary changes found so far, especially censorship in any way.

(Most of us didn't know 20 years ago that the fake Galbadia president was red in Japan and blue here for censorship, news didnt travel as fast, but I'm sure many would have been annoyed)

I'm not outraged, but censoring anything in a game thats been out for 20 years is unnecessary.

And I thought gamers would care more like we did in the past(we did very much so back then) and it's because of us older gamers that you have games that have minimal to no censorship today. Unless you really preferred the green/blue wtvr blood in Mortal Combat on the n64, among everything else))

There will always be a legion of people that will accept anything as long as they're still getting whatever it is that gives them their fix. They will only care once their own fix is taken away.