FFVIII Censorship

Dav9834

6 minutes ago, Masamune said:

Like someone else mentioned already, did they censor the PS1 classic version that's still on PSN? If not, then why do it to this version?

Nope. Probably only the blood in Ultimecia's Castle. But they simply took what it was available back in the day.

It was absolutely normal to change blood color in the previous generations.

Edited by Lance_87

9 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

There will always be a legion of people that will accept anything as long as they're still getting whatever it is that gives them their fix. They will only care once their own fix is taken away.

And there will always be people that scream snowball censorship at something most people will deem a reasonable change.

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

Wait, what? The games has literally only two moments where you see blood. One it's the opening and it's not censored, the other (in that castle), well... i'm curious to know.

Sorry, meant to quote @Masamune

Old game might have to get patched if it suddenly comes into the crosshairs 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJ_-_808 said:

And there will always be people that scream snowball censorship at something most people will deem a reasonable change.

Well, too bad they cannot change FMVs at this point.

Talking about previous versions, i wonder if they kept Gerogero's censored color, too.

57 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I really don't see the big deal, it's got slightly censored so move on. Yes it is extremely pointless, just as pointless as covering up DMC 5 arses but oh well. Nowadays everyone is a snowflake and we can't have fun but we really don't need a topic about it for every game, you either buy it or you don't. 

But on the side note I'm still shocked people get offended over slight cleavage but gore and murdering is completely fine, at least I will always have good old Dungeon Travelers 2 to stare at. 

Good Ol Dungeon Traveler's 2 lol ?

I agree with the murder, and hyperrealistic depictions of war, violence, etc but sexual imagery is a no no. It is very backwards, it should either be all or nothing. The ratings system is pretty moot at this point, especially since a kid could have their parent buy the game for them and what difference does it make. Censorship doesn't seem to be working (clearly), but what would the solutions be?

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Oh yes, unlike you, as smart as the scripted  guy in your avatar. There is no shortage of people thinking they're smarter and different than others in the world, and you're no exception. You're probably the one posting the most in this thread, so I'll ask you this: why so focused on people (and that emoticon) not liking censorship? You said  that FF6 was censored at the start,  and copypasted the stuff from tvtropes, isn't that exactly a good argument for people against censorship, so that  it's avoided that someone brings up this exact point the next time? I'm sure you're capable enough to be aware, or at least read on tvtropes other examples of censorship that aren't related to female body types, South Park completely scratched a gameplay mechanic for example, so how do you define when censorship is fine and when is it  not? Especially when of all things it's a 20 year old game?  By watching on the internet the reaction of people you dislike?  You can't, and almost all immaterial actions can be rationalized by the human mind as correct, so next time could bloody well be censoring or removing  FPS with this train of thought.

Now, on topic, I'm actually mad, because this will fuel the cult following Taro got with Automata since he can't do shit without  these type of things, and as such will make damn sure he won't have censorship and fans will rejoice

LOL You come of just as condescending as you claim I am. And I am a condescending asshole, it's why I chose my avatar. You're not telling me anything new. I bet you thought you told me good too. ? The fact is the censorship as reported doesn't appear to affect gameplay yet, until we have the game in hand to see if it does. Therefore, in my personal opinion, it doesn't matter to me at all. And even if it did affect gameplay, it'd be at the bottom of the list of my problems. Games have been censored before, we've been okay, the Chinese didn't come over the wall, and once the game was in hand everyone shut up about the censorship because they had something to do. Are we still talking about the butt lights in DMC5? No? Hmm. Anyway, what's funny to me is that everyone is wrapped around the axle over the different representation of a digital character, worried that it's a slippery slope to something worse and that complaining on the internet somehow makes them a freedom fighter; and then, once you have the game in hand, the whole thing is going to get dropped, ne'er to be heard again. I've seen it before countless times, and I'll see it again. And that's why I continue to needle this thread, because poking this hornets nest is amusing to me. Watching you guys try to fight changes to your entertainment while your elected governments erode your real freedoms every day behind your back is something straight out of 1984, and I find it funny as hell.

Anyway, I have a fishing log to complete in Final Fantasy XIV, so if you'll excuse me...

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

IDGAF, it's still a Final Fantasy game and no amount of crotch coverup will change that. You lot act like Final Fantasy censorship is new.

Fun Fact: When Final Fantasy VI was localized for North America as Final Fantasy "III", numerous changes were made. For instance, the Siren Esper's bare ass was covered up. Town signs that said "Bar" were changed to "Cafe". The Holy spell was changed to "Pearl" because it was a religious allusion. Several dialogues from Kefka were softened: instead of "Go! Kill them!" he says, "Go! Get them!"; instead of saying "Then you can burn to death!", he says "Then welcome to my barbeque!". And of course, the most famous line of all, "Son of a submariner!", was not in the original script, because he says something a lot more profane. Like the Japanese version of "Son of a bitch!" or "Damn it!".

Anyway, this is manufactured outrage, something to write about and get mad about because it was a slow news day when it broke. You folks are falling for it hook line and stinker.

I don't see why it is manufactured outrage or why past disgraces negate new ones...it might not stop me getting the game,but when I see it in the game I will definitely get annoyed each and every damn time.

Edit: nevermind, read your other replies since this and it's not worth speaking with you.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

@Elvick_ I understand your frustration with censorship, but as long as people get offended by things and take stances on these issues then there's always going to be a marginalized group at the mercy of another. Media censorship is dangerous, as we can see prime examples of it in the world. Like I mentioned in my reply, politics gets involved and then it gets messy. I'm going to hold my breath on it unless SE confirms they did so for whatever reason. Maybe they did it to appease Sony, maybe they did it because of outside pressure. IDK. At the end of the day, how do we tackle all of the factors? 

I'm honestly in favor of covering up the bush. I played this when I was a 10/11 year-old kid and I had to make sure that I NEVER summoned certain GFs while my parents were watching what I was playing lest I get ALL my "T"-rated games banned. My parents paid attention to game ratings, took time to watch what I was playing so that they could limit my exposure to certain adult themes, etc. I would have gladly welcomed the addition of a skirt if it meant that I didn't have to censor my own gameplay.

Wouldn't mind having a "safe" version of the game where you toggle these things on/off though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Why is everyone calling it "bush"? Isn't it a shell?

I had to look again and yeah I can kinda see a shell, but quick glances you could say either work.

13 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I'm honestly in favor of covering up the bush. I played this when I was a 10/11 year-old kid and I had to make sure that I NEVER summoned certain GFs while my parents were watching what I was playing lest I get ALL my "T"-rated games banned. My parents paid attention to game ratings, took time to watch what I was playing so that they could limit my exposure to certain adult themes, etc. I would have gladly welcomed the addition of a skirt if it meant that I didn't have to censor my own gameplay.

Wouldn't mind having a "safe" version of the game where you toggle these things on/off though.

I think that would be a fair alternative to forcing it down on people. At that point though, it's up to the devs to implement that. Most titles, no issue, but some titles, it could alter a lot, which then raises the question how will that affect the product, the company, etc? Finding a way to balance their image and vision within the confines of societal norms and values PLUS doing so in a way that prevents governmental interference seems to be the tiny little line that is being treaded ever so carefully.

I don't see it being figured out anytime soon.

20 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I remember as a teenager playing Final Fantasy VIII in the 90's, snuggled up re-e-al close to the faint warm glow of my cheap 13" Orion crt tv... and spending hours oogling Siren and Shiva! 1f602.png 

As a adult now they just look like blocky low res polygons to me, and I don't see the point in censoring/changing the design of characters in really old 2D or low poly games  - but back then those skimpy little outfits made my one track imagination go wild! lol

I was a dumb kid for sure. 1f60f.png

Many of us have probably been there at one point or another lol

When I was younger, I always wondered..."What the hell is Kuja wearing?"

I definitely would've got sent home from school if i wore that

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Why is everyone calling it "bush"? Isn't it a shell?

46 minutes ago, AFRising said:

I came here to ask exactly that.

All these years since I played, I'd always thought it was a shell of some sort.

And now I can't unsee the bush. RIP my childhood memories.

I never really noticed it as a shell, I always thought it was feathers or something... you know, because she has wings? ? But I never really looked for sexual themed stuff in games back then... I didn't hit that phase until around FFIX & X. :P

Just looking at her picture in the guide though, I don't see feathers or a shell now... Yeah, once somethings have been said, you can't really un-see it once you notice it. ?

J2sBpez.jpg

• Like 1