FFVIII Censorship

Dav9834

4 hours ago, TheLakota said:

Is there any reason to assume Sony called the shot on the FF8 changes, and not SQ's ethics department? After all, the latter has been known to make such suggestions in the past. 

Oh GIMME A BREAK, she's more realistic now. Yeah, i deserve the worst for saying that.

And again, why they called Siren's change "censorship" when they gave Ultimecia actual bewbs in her human form? It was just a flat texture in the PS1 version.

6 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Oh GIMME A BREAK, she's more realistic now. Yeah, i deserve the worst for saying that.

And again, why they called Siren's change "censorship" when they gave Ultimecia actual bewbs in her human form? It was just a flat texture in the PS1 version.

Lighten up Francis, we're on the same side. 

9 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Lighten up Francis, we're on the same side. 

Sorry bud, it's just that reading "ethics department" every time we talk about FF make me cringe a lot... it's something that spiralled out of control, i still don't understand if all companies have a similar "department" (the actual word was "commitee" anyway) or if it was a mistranslation of the original department or whatever. China DOES have something similar, but you know, it's China, they have rules that could appear as silly for us (i.e. no "supernatural" stuff) and most western games don't pass their controls.

Edited by Lance_87

35 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Sorry bud, it's just that reading "ethics department" every time we talk about FF make me cringe a lot... it's something that spiralled out of control, i still don't understand if all companies have a similar "department" (the actual word was "commitee" anyway) or if it was a mistranslation of the original department or whatever. China DOES have something similar, but you know, it's China, they have rules that could appear as silly for us (i.e. no "supernatural" stuff) and most western games don't pass their controls.

Yes, most large companies, especially those involved with media have an ethics department. And definitely any public corporation will have one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, most large companies, especially those involved with media have an ethics department. And definitely any public corporation will have one. 

Then why i'm not getting many results about this on search engines? I mean the entire first page on Google is about China (i typed "videogames ethics committee") and then about FF7R. Everyone thinks that "Square-Enix made a ethics department just for this game" (FF7R, and sometimes they include FF8, too), because of three main factors:

1) It's today's Final Fantasy franchise

2) It's today's Square-Enix

3) It's today... i mean, 2019

See? It's a lethal combo xD

Edited by Lance_87

10 hours ago, Brawler said:

You keep saying censored after admitting you have no idea if it’s actually censorship or not lol. You also blame Sony simply because they said a few questionable anime games had to be changed when there’s no proof of that applying in this case either. Especially seeing as it’s the same on the other consoles. 

There isn’t a game that was censored that everybody went apeshit about. There are a handful of anime games that a very small group of people went apeshit about. Then another handful of situations like this, MK11 and FF7R where people kept saying censorship even though they have nothing to support the claim besides their own feelings. 

If minor redesigns were never your concern, why are you so active in this thread? 

I've probably just been out of the loop, since I don't recall any big discussion regarding censorship in Final Fantasy games years ago especially when the PS3/360 was still coming out with good AA/AAA games. Yet it's being talked about all over Reddit and other social media websites.

I don't claim to know censorship well since I'm just a guy here spouting his own opinion. But if you think 'apeshit' is too strong a word then maybe I should say a lot of people are talking about it, going beyond just Final Fantasy 8 and this website.

I'm just amazed that people can get so worked up over this. I don't blame Sony for every single little thing when it comes to censorship but there sure as hell is shit going on that is causing a great deal of these anime games and some western games like Mortal Kombat 11 to get altered. Changing a design to cover up one female character to be less revealing seems to speak censorship in a lot of peoples eyes.

Just sounds like Square Enix has a bunch of prudes over there. Bit ironic.

I don't understand why these games can't just be released as they initially were with remastered graphics and interface without a bunch of changes that automatically sparks the discussion of censorship in some people.

Edited by Spaz

18 hours ago, DaivRules said:

There’s a multitude of different naming conventions. Department of Standards, office of conduct, many times one person in legal council will be the voice of ethical decisions.  

Not only that but the monitor of ethics could be under the scope of a department such as HR and not as a separate entity to itself. My company's ethics standards are handled by legal for example.

When you visit Trabia Garden after the major story plot, go to the basketball court. All the way to the left are two people, one of them a girl squatting down. If you look at her arms animation it looks like she takes a cigarette to her mouth, puffs at it and then brings her arm down again. She keeps doing that so it looks like she's smoking. There is no cigarette graphic in her hand though. Probably wasn't in the PS1 version either, hell if I can remember, plus that's probably not even what it's supposed to depict at all.

I'm just weirdly reminded of cigarettes in games after playing La Pucelle Tactics and seeing Croix's victory animation where he smokes, but no cig is there. Yet if you look up official artwork of that game, so many characters smoke. :/

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of women at my gym happily showing of their tits and asses. All this censorship in games is ridiculous, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have a sex addiction. 

Gaming culture was better back in the 90s. You had none of this shit.

Edited by thepeaguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

As a german, I find this discussion very funny. The biggest censorship in games we have, is in Wolfenstein.

And it's not due to the brutality of this game. It's because of the swastika. It's a forbidden symbol, but it's nowadays allowed in arts, like movies or games (We call that "Sozialadäquanzklausel").

But no video game publisher tried that yet (and I think there are more games than wolfenstein with nazis in it), so the others won't try it either, due to possible problems with the law, which at least costs time and money. Also no publisher wants an indexing.

Hitler, sorry Heiler, also has no beard and the player don't fight the nazis, but the regime, so that the game loses historical context.