Anyone else find this game more frustrating than fun?

iGGTheEnd

I don't disagree there was some issues with lighting, that could've been handled better. And yeah, I fell to my death quite a few times because of it. But I do disagree that the game is nearly unplayable. I'm sorry it has been for you, but I've had almost a completely different experience/viewpoint on the matter.

I never had a single issue with framerates in fighting whatsoever. I only had an issue with framerates when initially loading into a zone after fast-travelling, logging in, or re-spawning.

Overall, for me, the story, lore, and meaningful collectibles along with the unique boss fights (and yes, some of them were annoying with additional adds and fall-spaces, but as steel6burgh said it's like a learning curve - and it's nothing compared to a learning curve with a Souls or Souls-like game) was one of the best games I've played this year, hands down. It was fantastic. And it's one of the rare games that I will be getting DLC for because I think it'll be worth it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

tbh it's how boss fights should be.  Yes they are frustrating at first but then after practice I end up getting through the entire fight almost untouched.  There was a time when all games were like this.  A boss fight was a trial and error type of thing that took repetition to beat.  I'm not knocking what you're saying but I'd focus more on the aspects of the game like not re-spawning into the boss fight.  A few of them you have to run through a few rooms and fight quite a few enemies every time you fail at the boss.  That is freaking annoying.  The frame rate issues and lag every time you exit pause is freaking annoying.   The game is a pretty good game overall and I must say i'm pretty impressed with it overall.  Always going to be a few problems.  I wouldn't call two or three hit boss fights one of them.  I'd say it adds to the intensity of the game and makes it feel the way it should.

Ya I was just frustrated while writing it and I have been having insane frame drops at times that have been getting me killed.  I have to basically hide half the time in fights incase it drops which is unfortunate because I feel flying around and dodging is way more fun.

Admittedly the beginning is a bit rough, I tried playing it like Uncharted at first taking cover before realising this should be played like a third person version of Doom.

When you get down to keep moving during combat it gets easier. Weapons like Pierce make shielded enemies a joke (even with only one Mod slot), and with levitate you’re almost unkillable. I think it’s about finding the weapons and mods that work best for you, but also not being afraid to swap them about for better results. Charge I rarely use for example but found it essential for one of the final encounters in the game. 

I think where the game fumbles is making the boss fights accessible prior to the end game. Because you can spend that time fighting an up-hill battle, and game isn’t going to tell you maybe you should come back later, it leaves that for you to decide. Whereas if they appeared post-game, at that point you should be decked out enough for a more balanced fight.

They’re still hard, but I’m cool with that, because as frustrating as Head of Communications was, on the winning round I could tell I really had mastered the timing and flow of Controls combat, and that’s a really good feeling when it clicks.

• Like 2

I definitely agree with you about the frame rate. 

It's hard to believe that the developers tested the game and thought that the frame rate was satisfactory. 

The only other slight problem I had was reading the map. Sometimes it was hard to tell which floor a certain room was on.

The combat could be harder depending on where and what you're putting skill points into.

Personally I upgraded my energy first so that you could throw objects at enemies while your gun is reloading then switch to the gun while your energy is recharging. 

• Like 2

I'm playing on a basic PS4 and getting the occasional mega-lag in certain larger fights and it staggers sometimes when watching the Hotline logs. That's probably the only frustration i've had with it.

I had some issues with combat at first, but I've maxed out the damage output of Launch and can now throw regular and larger enemies at lower health. This plus energy regen speed mods and i can pretty much tear through any encounter. As soon as I could repel rockets and grenades, use bodies as projectiles etc and was able to do it more often, the game combat got a bit easier. I haven't really used any other ability than this so far and with the right mix of launch - shooting and moving it's worked really well.

I played on a base PS4 and the frame rate was terrible both in and out of combat.

I still found the game fun thanks to the abilities you get being overpowered and most of the enemies being less than stellar AI wise, but I am disappointed that Remedy released the game the game in the state they did. I definitely died more than a few times thanks to the frame rate dropping to a crawl during combat. Thankfully death doesn't have any serious penalties or I might have gotten frustrated about it.

I swear every single game they drop nowadays is full of technical issues, and I’m not sure if its just the hardware of the ps4 is no longer enough or they just don’t care anymore to test their games before launch, since they have “free” testers anyway after launch.

Unless the devs are from the east of course, from MH World, to RE 2 remake, to Judgment, even Switch games (I can’t say since I dont have one) etc... all of those are really well made without any or minimal issues. Good thing they still hold to good business practices, and they sure get rewarded since all the notes are pretty high, the West should take note.

On a side note, I guess its a good thing I’m waiting on this one, getting it after everything is fixed and with a discounted full pack with the season pass seems the wisest decision.

• Like 3

I had an issue last night where the boss for Mission 6 was not triggering. The entire room was kinda broken, with see through walls on one side, and none of the usual lighting or effects. Reloading and resetting the game/PS4 did not help. Fast traveling around the current level also didn't help. The only thing that worked was fast traveling to a completely different map and back. I hope this info helps someone if they also have a similar problem.

Edited by CaptHowdy_91
  • Like 1

I loved it, honestly.

It's original, story is great,the infamous-style movement and destructibility is very enjoyable and the whole premise where if I try to recommend it to someone it feels hard to explain and avoid spoilers.

Playing on the PS4Pro, I haven't considered load times to be annoying or overly long - I mean none are more than 10 sec or so?, the only frame rate drops were after fast traveling and occasionally after opening the pause menu. And while they're still there you get used to them and they only last some 2 seconds and have never gotten me in trouble/killed.

Also the difficulty feels really... well balanced/made? I mean it wasn't unfair that I was dying in the beginning, before I realized how powers work, that you have to be on the move, how different weapons and upgrades work etc. Bosses also have an approach to them, it took me awhile to get DiTomasso and it felt good doing basically a no damage run to beat him. Felt like a really good learning curve and I have honestly enjoyed the entire game and all the side stuff - the place is also really interesting, I don't know what was the last game I actually took notice to collectibles and misc documents you find around.

One of the best games I played this year, it gives that "that was a good game" feeling after finishing/100%ing? I don't know how to describe it but it's similar to finishing GoW, Uncharted, MGS3, Ace Combat 0, Exodus, Mass Effect 2 etc. Remedy earned some serious goodwill points as far as their future releases go with me.

• Like 3

I'm not one to normally moan about frame rate...half the time I don't even notice! 

But it is quite bad at times in Control, even on my PS4 Pro.  I don't care so much when you come out of pause menus, but it's horrible when it tanks in boss fights. Some of the encounters are quite hard, and it's frustrating to die through no fault of your own. It happened to me twice on The Former.

Other than that, I think it's a very good game. The story is interesting and there's few games where I spend time reading the collectibles, they are very well written. I've particularly enjoyed the side quests.

I'm on Mission 8 and the difficulty is okay so far, although I never understand why developers don't put easier and harder options in to cater for everyone.

I think Remedy are a great developer....snap them up Sony before MS start sniffing around!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Killbomb said:

You guys with frame rate issues playing on base PS4s? I'm playing it on a Pro and haven't noticed any frame drops outside of leaving the pause menu. 

Yes on the slim, Remedy said they are looking into it but I just don't understand how a game is aloud to release in it's current state if it doesn't work on all consoles it releases for.  I'm not even expecting 30fps but my frames litterally drop to like 2 sometimes and I think my game freezes it's like I'm fighting pictures of enemies sometimes.

But the later in the game I am getting it feels like it is getting better which is odd, not perfect but it's getting more enjoyable to play atleast.

17 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

tbh it's how boss fights should be.  Yes they are frustrating at first but then after practice I end up getting through the entire fight almost untouched.  There was a time when all games were like this.  A boss fight was a trial and error type of thing that took repetition to beat.  I'm not knocking what you're saying but I'd focus more on the aspects of the game like not re-spawning into the boss fight.  A few of them you have to run through a few rooms and fight quite a few enemies every time you fail at the boss.  That is freaking annoying.  The frame rate issues and lag every time you exit pause is freaking annoying.   The game is a pretty good game overall and I must say i'm pretty impressed with it overall.  Always going to be a few problems.  I wouldn't call two or three hit boss fights one of them.  I'd say it adds to the intensity of the game and makes it feel the way it should.

Ya I'm honestly more frustrated that I have to run all the way to the boss after dieing to zero frames every time, I should be used to running to bosses after Darksouls and Bloodborne but it just feels way more tedious in this game because if you run through enemies and get hit on the way you now have to fight them to get your health back before fighting the boss where in DS you just pop a heal and go to the boss.

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 3

I’m playing on a PS4 Pro and I experience constant lag and frame rate issues. It’s the worst when the map is open. 

The other her big problem I have is when I take enough damage in combat to the point where I’m in danger, the screen goes completely red and it becomes impossible to see anything. At that point the fight is basically lost unless I luckily stumble into some health drops.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I find this game extremely frustrating and one of the hardest games I have EVER played.

The fact that when you die, you lose currency and being teleported to the nearest control point is the epitome of my frustration. Combined with the long loading times, I just find the game not fun which shouldn't happen at all. 

In some boss fights and fights in general the camera doesn't do a good job at being centered and clear and I found myself falling or not being able to target certain enemies. I have three health boosts to my character and still gets knocked out within two or three shots. 

I haven't raged quit from a game for quite a while now and I think that the fact that Remedy did not include a difficulty setting is ridiculous. 

I truly don't understand how the platinum is at 44%. If I could guess, I'd say it would be Very rare instead of Uncommon. 

Maybe there's a mechanic I didn't realize yet...

The real bitch of this game is going to be after 6 months of not playing it having to go back to the game for the dlc.  I can imagine the dlc will be tougher and having to go back to it and take on a bigger challenge with diminished skills and lack of practice is going to suck because the game is a process as far as getting used to the map/ layout and combat.  However,  just starting out and progressing through the game for the platinum was not really hard at all.  Some of the boss fights were a little bit of a challenge at first but hardly anything overly difficult.  I really hope they don't include dlc trophies.  I loved the game just don't want to go back.

2 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

The real bitch of this game is going to be after 6 months of not playing it having to go back to the game for the dlc.  I can imagine the dlc will be tougher and having to go back to it and take on a bigger challenge with diminished skills and lack of practice is going to suck because the game is a process as far as getting used to the map/ layout and combat.  However,  just starting out and progressing through the game for the platinum was not really hard at all.  Some of the boss fights were a little bit of a challenge at first but hardly anything overly difficult.  I really hope they don't include dlc trophies.  I loved the game just don't want to go back.

Ya I really hope they don't add DLC trophies I don't want to pay for DLC after paying $80 for a game that was broken when I played it.

I really want to love Control but I agree 100% with OP! Falling to death, check. Getting insta-killed by a boss, check. Repeatedly killing the same mobs after dying, check. Framerate issues, check.

Such a shame because the story and setting are solid. I'm afraid this plat will be one of the most frustrating ones...

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agreed with the frustration. The story looks intriguing but I can't handle the gameplay and boss battles. I though I was the only who can't enjoyed the game, have to stop every 2-3 hours.

Got stuck on mission 6 because of Salvador. Small space without enough cover and you will lose half of your health with one hit. When you get spawned back to the nearest control point, stronger enemies keep respawning between the control point and the boss room.

The framerate suffers a lot when there's a lot of enemies in small space (PS4 Pro) and yeah everything can be too dark or bright at times - cheap death.

• 2 weeks later...

glad i'm not the only one. i just finished the story and while i enjoyed it for the most part the boss fights are ridiculously frustrating. not just that they're difficult, which isn't that bad on it's own, but that when you die you have to sit through a long ass loading screen, and then run your ass sometimes a long way back to where you just were. 

• Like 2