Worst DiRT in whole series?

PostalDudeRus

Don't get me wrong, I was huge Codemasters racing games fan until I played DiRT 4. I wasn't expect this game to be miracle or something, I just hoped this game to be better than DiRT 3, and introduce something new to series because it's..DiRT 4, you know...but...let me explain:

Career mode:

Same f***ing concept of career mode as it was 20 years ago: Complete championship, unlock new championship, complete championship and that's it. Can they came up with something new this time? It's boring as hell. They introduced new feature called "Crew management" where you can hire members and make contracts with engineers, P.R. mangers but does it change something in your career? NO (actually yes,but no). You can't lose in career mode, yet you can lose some championship, but you will not get "Game Over,kid,start your career from scratch" screen because you made wrong chooses like accepted wrong contracts or lost championship or crashed your car. Game doesn't let you to take responsibility over your career, which makes whole career mode stupid set of boring races on same tracks (don't get me started on GeNeRaTeD TrAcKs) over and over again. I don't understand why Codemasters so conservative about something new and fun in their games.

Multiplayer:

Pro Tour - Somebody at Codemasters should really be ashamed after making this crappy mode. Pro Tour is matchmaking mode which connects you to players of same rank and makes you race between random players for first place. Win and your rank goes up so you can race with more experienced players. In theory its sounds cool right? Yup, but it doesn't work at all on practice. Good luck waiting for 6 hours to start one game with low rank player. And you can't invite somebody into matchmaking lobby (it's still possible tho, but it's undocumented feature). 

But I am glad game still have some fun aspects like: they made nice psychics mechanics with choose between casual gamer and simulation style. Singleplayer also offers DiRT academy and Joyride options, which both are fun, you can have some fun with friends in simple (non-ranked) matches online, they made a lot of cars in game. BUT those 2 major aspects I listed above damaged my overall experience and I cancelled my GRID (2019) pre-order after playing DiRT 4 and also I refuse to play DiRT Rally 2.0 ( I saw how much DLC it has and also season-pass thing) and I will never buy any Codemaster's game again. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I only played the SP part and this game totally bored me out. The SP campaign is so incredibly boring: there’s just a handful of races / stages which you do over and over again. I tolerated it until the Triple Crown championship. I was doing rally cross and I think I had 4 qualifying rounds and 2 races at every event? I quit. I can’t do it anymore. The difficulty is all over the place too: it is either too easy or impossible. 

I used to buy every Dirt and Grid game without blinking. Dirt 3 and Grid 2 / Motorsport made me wary. Dirt 4 I was dumb enough to buy day one... never again. Codemasters are now on my “wait for deep sale” list. And I do mean deep. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Agreed man, on ps3 I loved dirt 2, when dirt 3 came out the locations and gameplay where stunning!! This dirt 4 feels like a dirt rally ripoff with boring uninspired stages.. :) Unfortunately didn't watch gameplay before buying, even the menus are a mega downgrade compared to 2 and 3 the game has no soul anymore.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lettmon said:

Dirt 2 is one of my favorite racing games, its online is still active after 10 years after its release, that's how good it is. Dirt 4 feels like a computer generated game, I bought it on sale but still regretted it.

Agreed Dirt2 was excellent and was Codemasters at their peak. I feel like they have shifted the core team to the F1 Games now (which are great to be fair), but it feels like they are phoning it in elsewhere.

The new GRID has about 12 tracks and not many more cars and is incredibly dull and repetitive, got bored after about an hour

Dirt 4 was disappointing

Onrush was also a let down (although at least they tried something different with that).

I'd love a Dirt 2 remaster, or even a remaster of the original Grid from 2008, its a far superior game to this years, but I doubt we'll get either.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing how Codemasters just refuses to learn. It is quite an achievement to make every game in the series worse than the one before it! They seem to double down on what needs to be improved and actively make it worse: “Oh, they are complaining about track variety... here, now you have fewer tracks!” and “They like the AI & handling: let’s f*ck those up for much needed variety. And also let’s hire someone to say it is good instead of making it actually good: Alonsoooooooo!”

• Like 1

Yeah i believe it is. It never really felt like a great game let alone a great DiRT game. It didn't feel as if it particularly expanded on the past games and seems like they just the brand name to make an extra few quid off of the consumer. Oh and don't get me started on the early days when the "flavour of the week" trophy glitched. DiRT 2 remains to this day my favourite racing game

shakie19.png

• 1 month later...

This is the worst DiRT game ever (and I've played Showdown) and one of the worst rally games... Mostly because dumb driving physics that are garbage compared to Dirt Rally, even on Simulation setting. The randomly generated tracks using the same assets over and over again are also boring as hell and repetitive. Doing 100% in this game is a nightmare. Career is so boring that I'm starting to lose my mind. Doing Tripe Crown is just a chore not a fun task to do. People responsible for this garbage game should really reconsider their future in game dev, because they clearly have no idea what are they doing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

This is the worst DiRT game ever (and I've played Showdown) and one of the worst rally games... Mostly because dumb driving physics that are garbage compared to Dirt Rally, even on Simulation setting. The randomly generated tracks using the same assets over and over again are also boring as hell and repetitive. Doing 100% in this game is a nightmare. Career is so boring that I'm starting to lose my mind. Doing Tripe Crown is just a chore not a fun task to do. People responsible for this garbage game should really reconsider their future in game dev, because they clearly have no idea what are they doing. 

Exactly my thoughts every minute I played DiRT 4

• 3 months later...

I've been 2 trophies away from the Plat for the longest, but can't get myself to want to grind out the rest. I just finished Rallycross for Triple Crown and just forgot about this. I may try to Plat it still. I miraculously got the online done thanks to a friends boosting session.

I only played 3, so i can't really compare not playing others. Just wanted to say that this is a boring unnecessary grind.

Edited by TheGoaler

• 3 weeks later...

I loved Dirt 2 but I wasnt a big fan of Dirt 3 because of all the damn gymkhana stuff and then in Showdown, that's all they had (and for some reason I still played it). Showdown was terrible.

I really enjoyed the initial 20-30 hours of Dirt 4. I like the driving physics better than Dirt Rally as it's too sim for me. But like everyone else has said, I kept seeing the same damn turns over and over and then I came online to find out that I wasn't losing my mind - they ARE the same turns over and over! Combine that with only 5 locations and repetitive events and this game goes to shit fast. 

Landrush is a waste of life, Joyride is a joyless nightmare and anything to do with online is uninspired and pointless.

Not sure if it is the worst game in the series as I simply have not played it enough to call it that but I definitely got the least enjoyment out of DiRT 4. I loved DiRT 2, Showdown was tons of fun and DiRT 3 was pretty good too. Rally was not really my thing but 4 was just not that enjoyable from what I have played of it. Looking forward to getting DiRT 5 on PS5 though!

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

Looking forward to getting DiRT 5 on PS5 though!

This right here is why Codemasters makes so much money and keeps screwing us over ?

(not a diss, I’ve been doing it far too long myself)

Edited by Sifferino

1st Dirt game had so many things in it ! Even the big trucks racing were including !!

For me it was the best one !!!!

And Dirt 5 looks more like a Motor Storm game for me ... considering the first video of it =/

(i like Motor Storm ! So i will probably get this one too ... but ... it's not Dirt at all ^^')

• 8 months later...

I was originally considering making an argument against this... but then I hit the championship finals and jeez they get so boring, especially the Rally Cross ones. Having to do the same track for 28 laps, then repeat for the next track, and again...

The rally stages themselves are still pretty enjoyable, but looking at the historical rally section is really putting me off. This is definitely a game where you should be playing it on the side of another main focused game if you're looking to work towards the platinum.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally got the platinum for this, it was enjoyable for the first few hours, but man this gets exhausting! Doing the same few tracks over and over was very boring. 

Has some issues as well, terrible physics, tires pop too easily, the fog.. whoever thought that was a good idea is an idiot, helicopter hovering on track that makes a dist cloud, why!? Snow tracks are awful in fast cars imo. Audio won't go below 50% which is still too loud when wanting to play music. 

Definitely not the worst though, I plat Dirt Rally 2 before this and that is imo almost unplayable due to the ridiculous lighting, one thing that surprised me is Dirt Rally 2 is almost a copy and paste of Dirt 4. All they did is change the handling and lighting to this stupid sh*t. spacer.png

8 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Finally got the platinum for this, it was enjoyable for the first few hours, but man this gets exhausting! Doing the same few tracks over and over was very boring. 

Has some issues as well, terrible physics, tires pop too easily, the fog.. whoever thought that was a good idea is an idiot, helicopter hovering on track that makes a dist cloud, why!? Snow tracks are awful in fast cars imo. Audio won't go below 50% which is still too loud when wanting to play music. 

Definitely not the worst though, I plat Dirt Rally 2 before this and that is imo almost unplayable due to the ridiculous lighting, one thing that surprised me is Dirt Rally 2 is almost a copy and paste of Dirt 4. All they did is change the handling and lighting to this stupid sh*t. spacer.png

Codemasters after Dirt 2-3 become very bad company with bad games 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pavelbagirov said:

Codemasters after Dirt 2-3 become very bad company with bad games 

I wouldn’t say so: Dirt Rally 1 and 2 are arguably the best games they ever did (not just the Metascore backs this but also the playernumbers years after release). 

I played every single Colin McRae and DIRT game and I‘d say DIRT 5 is the worst game. Even though DIRT4 wasn’t great neither but mostly cause of the stupid procedural generated tracks; the physics are still great. 

Also the F1 games have been very decent for many years with only minor quality differences. 

1 hour ago, OBSTINATIO said:

I wouldn’t say so: Dirt Rally 1 and 2 are arguably the best games they ever did (not just the Metascore backs this but also the playernumbers years after release). 

I played every single Colin McRae and DIRT game and I‘d say DIRT 5 is the worst game. Even though DIRT4 wasn’t great neither but mostly cause of the stupid procedural generated tracks; the physics are still great. 

Also the F1 games have been very decent for many years with only minor quality differences. 

Hard disagree. Dirt Rally 2 is one of the worst racing games I've ever played, mainly because of the brightness, blinded one corner and needing night vision then next, awful. 

F1 games haven't been good since 2017 imo. They have just got worse and worse, released unfinished and riddled with issues that don't get fixed

Edited by GUDGER666

On 4/13/2024 at 4:54 AM, GUDGER666 said:

Hard disagree. Dirt Rally 2 is one of the worst racing games I've ever played, mainly because of the brightness, blinded one corner and needing night vision then next, awful. 

Could just be your TV. I've never experienced any such lighting issues in the Rally games or any of Codemasters games.

I'd also have to disagree with this general dislike of Codemasters I'm seeing in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, nobody has done console racing games better than them this past decade and a half. Granted, aside from NFS there's not been much competition in that department anymore but it still doesn't negate that Codemasters has been doing a fine job.

They haven't really changed their formula much since GRiD 1 and DiRT 1 so I don't know how the newer games can be considered so much worse. GRiD missed a step with the reboot but then came back with a great return with Legends and obviously GRiD 1, 2 and Autosport are fantastic. DiRT fell off after 3 but they made up for that with the Rally games which are amongst the best racing simulators ever. Playing Rally with a racing wheel is an incredible experience for any racing fan. So realistic that you almost have to play the Rally games with a wheel, nearly unplayable with a controller. 

Don't have much experience with the F1 games but the little I do have was very positive. As a Nascar fan, I've been clamoring for a decade plus now for Codemasters to get the Nascar license because they're the only ones I felt would actually do a Nascar game justice but it never happened unfortunately. iRacing has the license now and obviously iRacing has an astounding reputation but they never made a console game so I'm still hesitant how they'll translate over. 

Racing games are all inherently repetitious to a point but when you have a good programmed AI that is appropriately challenging, it keeps the game fresh. I feel like people complaining about racing games being boring are most likely playing on a low difficulty and they're easily winning all the races (considering this a trophy site, probably so they can collect the trophies as fast as possible), but that's not the way the games are meant to be played and of course you'll find it boring if you play it that way. 

Having recently platinumed and 100%'ed Legends, that game was incredibly fun when playing on hard and never got boring but then you hop on the forums here and many have complained it's too boring. It's frustrating because it's like nobody can appreciate how good of a job Codemasters is really doing still and look back on their past games with these rose-colored glasses. GRiD series has gotten better, DiRT has fallen off but the offshoot Rally games are incredible, and F1 has remained very consistent. No complaints from me with Codemasters. They are the best at what they're doing and have been for at least 15 years now. 

On 4/13/2024 at 4:54 AM, GUDGER666 said:

F1 games haven't been good since 2017 imo. They have just got worse and worse, released unfinished and riddled with issues that don't get fixed

Simply too much dirt for me…😉