First platinum in 10h

Bagwell69

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

Gotta be honest, I've finished the original like 3 times including getting all cards, completing every boring side quest and not leveling up until I had Cactuar, so I might take the fastest route as well. However, this only applies to the fighting mechanics. Story wise I won't skip anything. I know the game inside out and really want the game to show up in my trophy list but I just don't want to do everything again for the 4th time and another 100 hours.

You should really try it in order to get the strongest party according to the numbers. When you get Cactuar on CD3 you need to get all of his +1 abilities. Doing so, every level up gives you much more points. So ewith every 1000 XP you get +1 strength, +1 magic,+1 vitality, +1 speed etc. compared to getting some points every 3 or 4 levels doing it the normal way.

That means that you can achieve the maximum of 255 in almost every category without using the +50% abilities. For some you will need it anyway but with this method you can focus on other perks as well.

Is it even possible to be lvl1 for everyone by that point? 

I forgot if we get EXP from bosses, and how many forced battles there are.. It's been quite a long while since I last played this... 

As for the cheats, well, I will likely use them, since I just want to enjoy the game, not grind it again.. But at the same time I'm planning to do everything including max stats. 

Just hope to set up the plat before MediEvil releases, since I will only be playing on Saturdays (and maybe will get distracted with other games..) 

1 hour ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Is it even possible to be lvl1 for everyone by that point? 

I forgot if we get EXP from bosses, and how many forced battles there are.. It's been quite a long while since I last played this... 

As for the cheats, well, I will likely use them, since I just want to enjoy the game, not grind it again.. But at the same time I'm planning to do everything including max stats. 

Just hope to set up the plat before MediEvil releases, since I will only be playing on Saturdays (and maybe will get distracted with other games..) 

Until the end of the game it is possible to stay at the starting level. All you need to do is convert normal enemies into cards (an ability by Quetzalcotl or Siren, I don't remember) so you get AP for the guardian forces but no EXP for the party. Bosses don't give any EXP. And with the "no encounter" cheat it is even easier, since you don't have to grind out the 0% enemy ability with the Guardian Forces.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Until the end of the game it is possible to stay at the starting level. All you need to do is convert normal enemies into cards (an ability by Quetzalcotl or Siren, I don't remember) so you get AP for the guardian forces but no EXP for the party. Bosses don't give any EXP. And with the "no encounter" cheat it is even easier, since you don't have to grind out the 0% enemy ability with the Guardian Forces.

Cool! 

I will definitely do that! 

• Like 1

As someone who used to do this in alot of games in the past. I would buy games just to plat them and skip scenes and everything and let me tell you, it's not enjoyable at all. You get nothing out of it but a Platinum that you ACTUALLY DO NOT feel accomplished for. It's the worst feeling. And I'm sure those people are feeling that. I'm gonna enjoy taking my time with this game like every other FF game I've played (still have to finish VII). So let them waste their money on games they clearly don't want to delve into. Obviously this will be a uncommon plat in no time which Platinum trophy hunters LOVE! But Square is gonna make money off of this tactic. The cheats are every useful though when I'm in a rut. But REMEMBER guys, these players will never experience what it was like playing these JRPGS without the cheats back in the day. 

As for the people who probably played this game as a kid or hundred times the past 20 years I can vouch for them easily getting the Platinum. I too plat'd a few remastered games in a mere 24 hours to a few days due to playing them as a kid. 

14 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I'll just leave this here: 

https://www.speedrun.com/ff8/run/mekk9k8m

This is the 100% speedrun world record in 10 hours and 40 minutes. The requirements are WAY stricter than this trophy list... Get all TT cards, finish all sidequests.. basically what this trophy list should have been. 

Not trying to argue against your point, just saying. I'll be playing the game without cheats as well :)

This reply is fucking golden, I love you for this!

I wish they put a cuck like trophy in the trophy list to make it so it wouldn't be 10 hours to cheat your way to platinum. But FF IX did that beautifully with 'Hail to the King" trophy and I praise them for doing that. 

15 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

I'm not interested in the cheats at all, and I don't intend to use them.

I'm taking my time right now with this fantastic game, just as I did back when it released in 1999. Just about done with Ifrit and heading towards the Dollet SeeD exam (such an amazing segment in the game, with the chasing spider robot).

And honestly: if you enjoy platting a game like this with cheats, that's your business, but I'd never do something that low. I think it's inferior to boast about getting a platinum that quick if you've cheesed your way through it, unlike people who actually take their time and tackle the game properly, by demonstrating skill and effort.

I, for one, am going to be putting dozens of hours into this game, because that's what it deserves. An underrated FF entry, in my opinion. And one that deserves to be platted the honorable way.

TBH nobody really cares if you plat a game so fast and try to be the first one. Yes you get bragging rights but who's really going to care. We're here for playing the game not running through it focusing on the platinum ya know. I'll only use the cheats when necessary. We all know platinum a jrpg in under 10 hours is a HUGE giveaway you just wanted that platinum the fastest not giving a shit about anything the story has to offer. But those people do exist and they will always exploit a game for cheating and getting the platinum trophy trying to be the first one. As someone who is a first achiever for a remaster game I can say I used an exploit at a certain degree, this guy clearly had cheats handed to him lol.  

On 9/3/2019 at 6:49 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Using the cheats in this isn't something for people to get bothered about, I can't see anyone flaunting their fast completion time in here or bragging. And if they do then....cool? It doesn't impact anything at all. I don't see what the issue is. 

Agreed, but even if you must be bothered, be bothered by Square putting cheats into the game in the first place. 

In the most literal sense, don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Im 10 hours and still into the first disc. Used 3x speed cheat (which doesnt really help during battles) and No encounters from time to time ( but no OP cheat). Game is long, plus there are a bunch of cards I had to get before going further into the game (i.e. losing Mog and Sacred to Queen of Cards so I can get other cards later, etc.). Hope everybody is having fun.

Btw, does anybody knows why my signature with the trophy card is missing on forums? 

Loving the game so far. Now at 5hrs and only just back from Dollet on 'disc1'.

Pretty sure I took 115hrs on my original run back in the day. Will probably beat that this time I reckon. 

Only planning to use the boosts if Ultuma or Omega Weapon gives me a nightmare.

Edited by JPageMartin36

At first I thought the first to plat it cheated, maybe. With how much you have to do to progress the story, I just don't see how it's possible even with in-game cheats to plat this in under 10 hours.

Having said that, that's a really easy trophy list. Practically no difficulty in getting these trophies. It's not like FFIX with the Hail to the King trophy. Why only 35 trophies when IX had 52? There isn't even a trophy for collecting all of the cards. Disappointing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GearsOfTheDead said:

At first I thought the first to plat it cheated, maybe. With how much you have to do to progress the story, I just don't see how it's possible even with in-game cheats to plat this in under 10 hours.

Having said that, that's a really easy trophy list. Practically no difficulty in getting these trophies. It's not like FFIX with the Hail to the King trophy. Why only 35 trophies when IX had 52? There isn't even a trophy for collecting all of the cards. Disappointing.

Took me close to 2 hours to get 1000 kills with speed up, couldn't imagine getting the plat in sub 10 with the sidequest trophies, kills and GFs, absolutely insane.

As a casual speedrunner I'll say this, no way in hell does a first timer post a top 10 time on a game this big. They had knowledge, the kind gained a lifetime ago on weekends or after school. They didn't cheat themselves out of anything other than a slow paced 40th playthrough.

Some of you are complaining that people who have played this game significantly MORE THAN YOU have cheated themselves out of an experience.

Edited by Asmund89
  • Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Ilzaki said:

They've probably been playing the game for twenty years and know it inside and out.  The first has a Squall avatar of all things.  Probably rushed to get first and will enjoy it at a leisurely pace later.

That's exactly what happened, I've been playing this game yearly for the passed 20 or so years xD

• Like 1