For those who are new or maybe forgot

On each gf there's a boost ability you can learn once learned when u summon them hold the touchpad down and u can press square repeatedly to ramp up the damage but it's a sort of red light greenlight scenario press till u see an x over the icon then STOP once it goes away continue. If u press while it's x'd out it starts over 

This taught me the art of the button mash so well that when Mario Party came out and required us to abuse that controller, I was an absolute master.

A few other tips based on my recollection of the game (haven't played the remastered yet). The first is, if you have turned on quick summon animations, you aren't able to boost. I'm still curious as to who the hell you people are that play Final Fantasy and don't like the summon animations (go play something else then - the animations are the best part!), but you lose out on this mechanic entirely if you do.

Hold down the touch button right after you've selected the summon. The icon will appear whenever it's ready to let you start going. Get your arm on a hair trigger, practically vibrating, and then mash that sucker the second the summon animation starts. You can (or at least back in the day could) hit a few boosts on the "red light" before it would reset your counter, so it isn't zero tolerance (thank goodness). You can go right up to the point that the GF actually starts to hit the opponent, and it warns you when you're out of time by flickering the icon before fading it out completely (keep pressing while it flickers). Also, the maximum boost was (is?) 255 - going over this resets the counter. IIRC, with even a moderate tapping speed the final GF, whose animation is measured in minutes, can be boosted to 255, overflows and resets, and still get back to 255. 

This also doesn't work with the GF(s) that are OHKO or otherwise random effects (you know who they are) or with the support GFs. 

Just the thought of that is making me want to wait for the first sale less...

• Like 1