Final Fantasy VIII - Worse or better?

JoaLoft

FF VIII is my favorite from the main series (only FF Tactics tops it as a FF game). The playable characters were great (Squall is more likeable than Cloud IMO), the soundtrack is great, it has the most enjoyable mini card game. I also like the ambigous ending, take it as you interpret it. Combat is fine, too. I liked the drawing/abilities system. And then there were the bad-ass cut scenes. I love the game.

FF IX is one of the good FF games, I am going to replay that at some point. FF XIII though... that is my least favorite. Can't stand it, the only FF game (of the games I played) that I played only once.

• Like 2

8 is my least favorite of all the FF games I've played. It's the only FF I've started that I never completed.

I hated the way the game treated spells like commodities. I felt like I was wasting so much time drawing spells (I'm the type of RPG gamer who likes to hoard supplies). When I played the game on PS1, I lost interest in it by the third disc and gave up.

Since the remaster retains the PC cheats to cut down drastically on drawing spells (Evidence that I can't be the only one who felt that way), maybe someday I'll try it again and enjoy myself. I don't think I'd feel the need to platinum the game, but it's always bothered me that I never finished it...

• Like 3

VIII was always my favourite. It was the first game I really played solo so it was kinda the start of the journey to what and how I play games today. Up til then it was pretty much only Nintendo consoles either with friends or my sister. I had a PS1 but hadn't played on it a great deal until my sister's then boyfriend gave me this. I played them all since but this was always the one for me.

I can't wait to play it again but part of me is concerned it won't be as good as I remember. I have all three PS1 remasters on my backlog. It could be a while until I get to it but I'm definitely playing this one first

• Like 1

Cons:

Combat and Draw-draw-draw-draw-draw system

Retarded story

Level-scaling enemies

Rinoa forced as the love interest

Pros:

FMVs

Quistis

That mercenary student atmosphere in the beginning, they nailed it

Seifer and mommy Ultimecia

I liked it more than VII for some reason, but overall it's on a weaker side. IX, XII and XIV are the best, imo.

• Like 1

Absolutely love it. IMO the best final dungeon by a mile, best and most complex main character, best love story, best cut scenes and best airship. I love the junction system, love triple triad, and obviously love Quistis. GFs are certainly spam-able especially early on, and that is probably my only knock on the game. Top notch final fantasy, maybe only behind VII, and one of my favorite games of all time. 

Edited by entonces55
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed it.

I have 4 friends that didn't like VIII and never finished it when it was originally released. All 4 have played it all the way through since then and have completely different opinions of it now. I think it had some slow spots which kept people from enjoying/finishing the game. For those that stuck it out, I think most would have a positive opinion of it.

• Like 1

it's the absolutely best game of the series for me. 7 was my first but I fell for 8 very hard shortly after I finished 7. Now my top list is 8, 9, 7, 10,12, 13-3 but pretty much all the other FF games share the fifth place. except for x-2, which is the worst. it's still a decent FF but by far the worst of the series for me personally.

that said I also love the remaster. the background doesn't bother me it still looks a bit better on my TV now than back in the days and I also like the remodeled characters very much.

Edited by AiManiaTrophyhunting
  • Like 2

Even though I love FF8, it is the weakest of the PS1 FFs. The Draw system is a cool concept, but in the end it just discourages you from using Magic.
FF8 is somewhere in the middle when it comes to my FF tier list. Better than 1, 2, 3, and 5. Not as good as 6, 7, and 9. It's about as good as 10 and 13. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

Final Fantasy VII is beyond over-hyped (and this is coming from a massive sephiroth fan). The only reason it's up for debate is because - as I recently found out in the wake of the remake - Final Fantasy VII is often the ONLY Final Fantasy you're average joe has actually played thru.

Anyone who has actually played and beaten Final Fantasy VIII or IX knows they have much deeper writing and more complex characters (Final Fantasy games got better as they went along that gen). Thats not to say Final Fantasy VII isn't a masterpiece for it's time, but subsequent games built upon what it did and improved upon that. Final Fantasy VIII and IX are masterpiece's in their own right too - though they rarely are ever given that in the court of public opinion because relatively less people are familiar with them (or they only played a few hours of them and wrote them off).

In the annals of history Final Fantasy VII seems to be the face of the series for better or worse.

You know you and I are on the same page about this right? lol

• Like 1