Looking for a recommendation for lesser known, but good horror games.

DaikichiKawachi

I have an itch to play a horror game but nothing in my library or the store is jumping out at me.

What I'm after:

I would prefer Vita games but PS4/VR games are fine too.

I already own most of the well known ones and I know how to use Metacritic, so no need to tell me about those.

I prefer Western titles, so if it is a dungeon crawler, VN or any other typically Japanese game with horror elements I probably won't be interested.

Also no super easy platinums please.

- Thanks in advance.

Have you tried or looked into Claire or Lone Survivor? I'm not too sure these fit into what you're looking for but I'm recommending them since they are playable on Vita and have horror elements. Don't know how well known they are as they are indie titles but they were given out on PS Plus at one point so you may already have them.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, flashpool23 said:

Have you tried or looked into Claire or Lone Survivor? I'm not too sure these fit into what you're looking for but I'm recommending them since they are playable on Vita and have horror elements. Don't know how well known they are as they are indie titles but they were given out on PS Plus at one point so you may already have them.

Thanks. Yeah, I do have both of those in my library and haven't played either.

So while I imagine your going for game with trophies I'm going to go abit older for first suggeations and since you mentioned for your vita recommend series to look up that are backwards compatible digitally from psp/ps1. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Corpse Party, Undead Knights, Parasyte Eve, Dino Crisis, Manhunt.

Now for Vita/PS4 (both are available on each) there's Two Games I recommend for different takes Horror Wise, first is Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess which actually has you playing as the killer sacrificing human through making traps (watch gameplay on YouTube its like the old board game mouse trap except blood lol).

Second game I recommend is The Darkest Dungeon now first off yes its a dungeon crawler albeit on a 2d side view plane, but it's also ridiculously hard has some terrific enemy designs that look like H.P Lovecraft made them and the game focuses heavily on mortality to the point if you party doesn't die to the monsters it will be to injury, sickness or just failing to watch your doing. The game constantly autosaves after every action making it that much more permanent with your actions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Are we supposed to go through your list on our own to see what you own before making recommendations, or just guess at it?

No I dont expect that at all. If you suggest something that I already own, that's not a big deal. It might help somebody else out. I'm just crowdsourcing ideas because I wasn't getting anywhere searching on my own. You see the same stuff over and over again.

There are a lot of horror games on PSN that few people have played and even less reviewed. That's the kind of stuff I'm after. Have you taken a chance on one of those games and its turned out good?

15 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

These aren't completely lesser known, but: Call of Cthulhu (amazing horror game), Amnesia Collection, Soma, Layers of Fear 2, Observer, and Outlast 1 & 2 are pretty darn good. Day Light is also another one worth mentioning because it's cheap and worth it for the scares - even if it's low budget and nothing special.

If you're looking for a spooky lovecraftian gothic horror mystery that's different than what you typically see on console, my favorite is a PC game ported to PS4 in late 2017 called Black Mirror. It's excellent, atmospheric, the graphics are good, and I can't recommend it enough.

It's on PSN https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4389-CUSA08419_00-BLACKMIRRORUS001, and also physical I believe.

I was actually looking at Black Mirror last week when it was in the sale. I almost picked it up but didn't in the end. I'll pick it up next time because I see it go on sale quite often. Call of Cthulu looks good too. I've liked a lot of games published by Focus Home Interactive but I hadnt heard of this one. Thanks.

14 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

So while I imagine your going for game with trophies I'm going to go abit older for first suggeations and since you mentioned for your vita recommend series to look up that are backwards compatible digitally from psp/ps1. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Corpse Party, Undead Knights, Parasyte Eve, Dino Crisis, Manhunt.

Now for Vita/PS4 (both are available on each) there's Two Games I recommend for different takes Horror Wise, first is Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess which actually has you playing as the killer sacrificing human through making traps (watch gameplay on YouTube its like the old board game mouse trap except blood lol).

Second game I recommend is The Darkest Dungeon now first off yes its a dungeon crawler albeit on a 2d side view plane, but it's also ridiculously hard has some terrific enemy designs that look like H.P Lovecraft made them and the game focuses heavily on mortality to the point if you party doesn't die to the monsters it will be to injury, sickness or just failing to watch your doing. The game constantly autosaves after every action making it that much more permanent with your actions.

I forgot about PS1 games. Ive only played Resident Evil so those are good calls. I'm going to look through those now.

Darkest Dungeon is now on my Vita ready to go. I had looked at it before but didnt know it was a horror game. Thanks.

• Like 1

@DaikichiKawachi I am not sure if it is a good game, but I recently was searching for Vita horror games. The two I ended up downloading are Silent Hill 1 and the Vita title, NightCry. SH is a classic but NightCry is a lesser known title. Again, not sure if good but I just downloaded and am ready to give it a go. 

Also, more of a platform, puzzle game with Horror elements but I really enjoyed it, Murasaki Baby on Vita. Great, little game. 

Edited by Afro_Gear

Something that is easily coming to my mind: All Resident Evil, All Silent Hill (Silent Hill Book of Memories for Psvita), Amnesia Collection, Outlast 1 and Outlast 2, Until Dawn, Deadly Premonition, Claire.

Edit: here you can check a lot of titles, just change ps4 tab to psvita or ps3 

https://www.gamestorm.it/categorie/PS4/HORROR

Edited by X_Wizi_X

2 hours ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I forgot about PS1 games. Ive only played Resident Evil so those are good calls. I'm going to look through those now.

Darkest Dungeon is now on my Vita ready to go. I had looked at it before but didnt know it was a horror game. Thanks.

No problem man I use to collect alot of horror movies and games. While the genre has kinda died compared to how much it had (in terms of quantity and quality) originally. It's still out there. I find sometimes when it's hard to find newer games to play that's the chance to look at older ones and give them a go if you haven't yet.

Yeah Darkest Dungeon is Horror in more of Gothic Horror and Body Horror. Grotesque set pieces and creature designs. So you have this dark, gloomy atmosphere that extrudes death in the next frame kinda deal. One of the DLCs Colors of Madness goes full Lovecraft too with you fighting Elder Ones.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, DaikichiKawachi said:

I have an itch to play a horror game but nothing in my library or the store is jumping out at me.

What I'm after:

I would prefer Vita games but PS4/VR games are fine too.

I already own most of the well known ones and I know how to use Metacritic, so no need to tell me about those.

I prefer Western titles, so if it is a dungeon crawler, VN or any other typically Japanese game with horror elements I probably won't be interested.

Also no super easy platinums please.

- Thanks in advance.

Silent hill  vita is good horror 

I'd suggest the Yomawari series. Yomawari: Night Alone is available only on Vita, while the sequel Yomawari: Midnight Shadows is available both on Vita and PS4. You explore at night a town full of horrible creatures who want to kill you, and you can only run away and hide. No music, only heart beats and some insects noises, nothing more. But is really fun, and the graphics are cute! ?

Another one could be A rose in the twilight, made by the same developers of Yomawari. A puzzle game with a gothic story, a lot of blood and sacrifices in order to open the next area in the castle...

• Like 1

I also recommend Yomawari for the same reasons mentioned above.

If you like visual novels, give Death Mark a try. it's on Vita and PS4.

There is also the Psycho Pass visual novel. While not explicitly horror, it does cover some dark subject matter such as eliminating someone based on their potential to commit crime and living under constant mass surveillance that also scans for changes in metal stability.