GameMatter's Crucible of Completion

AnEldritchThing

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

What an amazing game. I recently did all the multiplayer DLC trophies too and I was dreading it at first but it ended up being a total blast! Very excited for Eternal next year. I wonder if we bumped into each other online? 1f914.png

It is totally possible! My profile name is the same as my PSN. I was grinding this game HARD for a few weeks. But the multiplayer was much, much more enjoyable than I expected.

Equally excited for DOOM Eternal next year!

Edited by GameMatter
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE 3.7.20

Long time no see folks. My training for my new job has been dominating my time I was intending to use for working on my blog (yes, I am eventually going to get back to it) and updating the Crucible. It has been entirely too long since I have updated this, despite having earned 14 platinums since my last one. I was originally going to make my regular length update posts for each one of those games but I am opting to make this update a sort of rapid fire blurb for each one of them just to get caught up. Going forward though, I will return to my old format.

So without further ado...

Platinum #17 - Tales from the Borderlands

Sd4ad83.png

This one and The Wolf Among Us duke it out in my mind as my favorite Telltale game regularly so it was a lot of fun to revisit this one before diving head first into Borderlands 3. Super easy, enjoyable plat.

Platinum #18 - Borderlands 3

S4050d6.png

Didn't do too much to change up the formula from the previous games in the series, which for me wasn't a bad thing as I find the franchise to still be the most enjoyable looter shooter out there. Unfortunately though, the villains in this one were extremely obnoxious--in the worst way--that they seriously dragged down the entertainment factor for me when it came to the story. A huge step down from Handsome Jack, one of my favorite characters of all time. Relatively easy trophy list but the game's map did make navigating a pain in the ass for collectibles at times.

Platinum #19 - Return of the Obra Dinn

S6e7f0f.png

One of the most visually distinctive games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It's premise had me hooked as well and I loved seeing how the mystery of the ill fated Obra Dinn unfurled. It's soundtrack is a great little ear worm too and I find myself still humming it from time to time.

Platinum #20 - The Outer Worlds

Sc8cc5f.png

A brilliantly written--and hilarious--game by the arguable masters of the western RPG, Obsidian Entertainment. All of the RPG elements felt great and I really enjoyed how much your decisions made during character creation were integrated into the dialogue in creative and often humorous ways and led to one of my favorite trophies of all time, Sunburn (spoilers). The only thing I didn't find myself enjoying was my Super Nova playthrough, for the trophy for completing the game on the highest difficulty. It's limitations felt more tedious than difficult in the end.

Platinum #21 - Blair Witch

S06c722.png

I am really torn on this one. On one hand, I think this might be one of the best licensed games out there in terms of translating a film universe into a game format while keeping the overall feel and tone intact. It also added a really intriguing gameplay mechanic in the form of reality manipulating tapes that I wish it was used more often. That leads to the other hand...clunky gameplay. It reared it's head regularly enough in various forms (getting your dog companion to do what you wanted was infuriating at times) that made it a pain in the ass to figure out what you were supposed to be doing or where to go. This is particularly true of the night time levels. While they certainly captured the oppressive dread tinged atmosphere of the movies, sometimes the darkness made the game borderline unplayable. After playing through this one twice, it has become a prime example of how a game can be retroactively ruined by it's trophy hunting experience. If I didn't have to worry about accomplishing certain trophies--like worrying about collectibles--the experience would have been infinitely better. Such is the plight of a trophy hunter I guess.

Platinum #22 - MediEvil

Sfe91aa.png

A pretty fun nostalgia trip. The graphical rehaul turned out great but I would have liked some minor attention to be given to some rougher elements of the gameplay. It was an easy trophy list overall though.

Platinum #23 - Goat Simulator

Sfcfd04.png

Flappy Goat can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

Platinum #24 - The Evil Within 2

S9c372a.png

I am kind of surprised I have heard so little about this one as I felt like it was a really solid horror / action game, particularly for one that was quasi-open world. It delivered some legitimately creepy moments that I appreciated. The trophy list had some real challenge in it too, mostly coming from the You Asked for It...Again trophy. A pleasantly horrifying experience all around.

Platinum #25 - Terminator Resistance

Sa5276f.png

Against all my expectations, for being a low budget licensed game this one was actually a really solid FPS. It's gameplay was certainly a little dated but not to the extent that I felt it was detrimental. Trophies were pretty unobtrusive too, as I earned most of them through just naturally playing.

Platinum #26 - Untitled Goose Game

S448c5c.png

Simple, dumb fun. I was initially dreading the trophies for completing objective lists within a set time limit but it was much more forgiving than I thought they would be.

Platinum #27 - Death Stranding

Sb1bc02.png

My first experience playing a Hideo Kojima game and it did not disappoint. I have a lot to say about this one so I will probably return to write a full review on this one later. But it is easily one of my favorite experiences I've had on my PS4.

Platinum #28 - Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions

S3c2ca0.png

Pretty nice chill out and zen game focusing on assembling stained glass jigsaw puzzles. Loved the artwork in this one.

Platinum #29 - Everything

S8a75e6.png

It is incredibly hard to describe exactly what kind of game Everything is. The trophies were not hard but felt extremely grindy due to the simple the gameplay was. Not something I'd ever play for the hell of it again.

Platinum #30 - Bioshock

S04f57b.png

I wanted to make my 30th platinum milestone something special to me, so I chose to replay one of my favorite games of all time, Bioshock. This is one of the few games that I never get tired of revisiting. I was secretly dreading this one however as the last time I attempted to platinum it, the Historian trophy glitched out on me and no matter how many times I replayed the game collecting all the audio logs, it wouldn't pop. But much to my relief I had no issues this time. Revisiting Rapture is always a joy of mine and this time was no different. Even though there are some tough trophies here, I know Rapture like the back of my hand so it was smooth sailing. Gameplay does feel a little dated here at times--switching between plasmids and weapons feels a awkward in the heat of the moment--but it doesn't effect my love for this game.

-----

So there is my quick catch up for all my updates I've neglected the last few months. I'll return to my original, long form review format for my future updates. Not sure what is really up next. I'll likely finish up Bioshock 2 and The Last of Us Remastered in the coming weeks. A lot of my game time has been dominated by Hunt:Showdown...I've absolutely fallen in love with this game and I intend to platinum it but all indications are making it out to be a beast to complete so that will likely be a long term project.

See you all next time.

Edited by GameMatter
  • Like 4