Will Sony ever stop PS3 syncing?

willmill97

We all know the PS3 online functionality won’t last forever, most likely at some point all PS3 games will lose the ability to play online, but do you think Sony will allow to at least still sign in and sync trophies?

I’ve had the 2 GT5 online trophies completed on my account for 5 years now as I want to save it for #200. But I wouldn’t want to get halfway through that extortionately long game just for them to stop syncing. 

What do you think Sony will do? And when do you think it might happen?  

On the contrary, there are some people out there who believe that PSN is interlinked between PS3, Vita, PS4, PSP, etc, which would kind of describe why the PSP PSN has not been shut down. Surely by now that would be shut down if it was possible to shut a specific console? Also, shutting PSN for PS3 would render everyone's download list on the PS3 inaccessible which is in many people's case thousands of pounds/dollars of investment. 

If PS3 does get shut though, it'd likely get a 6 month warning at minimum. 

25 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

I’ve had the 2 GT5 online trophies completed on my account for 5 years now as I want to save it for #200. But I wouldn’t want to get halfway through that extortionately long game just for them to stop syncing. 

What a waste :l

My guess that they will shut down PS3 PSN if they ever get around to making a Sony console that is backward compatible with PS3 games. Not too sure if you'll be able to play those online though. As people here are saying, until Sony actually says something, it's all a guessing game.

4 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

If Sony shuts down a PSN-enabled console, can we sue them for "encouraging/forcing piracy"? 1f914.png

You can sue anyone you want for whatever you want... that's the beautiful thing in our modern society (read the irony ?)

If you can get away with it, is a totally different question...

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Has Sony shut down Playstation Now? Then they're not going to stop PS3s from syncing.

There are PS3 games on PS Now without trophies. Not sure how that's relevant.

1 hour ago, El Duderino said:

Why do you people keep asking questions that none of us can answer? Only the people at Sony Japan could answer that. Nobody else. Ever.

PlayStation HQ is in Cali.

Just now, Elvick_ said:

There are PS3 games on PS Now without trophies. Not sure how that's relevant.

If there's even one PS3 game on Now that syncs or connects back to PSN, it's relevant because the Sony is supporting a PS3 game syncing back to PSN, which is the question being asked.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If there's even one PS3 game on Now that syncs or connects back to PSN, it's relevant because the Sony is supporting a PS3 game syncing back to PSN, which is the question being asked.

Except, they could just shut that aspect off since they don't care about trophies. You are assuming that if there's trophies they would enable syncing and wouldn't just store that "locally" [on the Now servers you access, but disable syncing]. We can view trophies offline without syncing them.

Edited by Elvick_

Just now, Elvick_ said:

Except, they could just shut that aspect off since they don't care about trophies. You are assuming that if there's trophies they would enable syncing and wouldn't just store that "locally" [on the Now servers you access, but disable syncing].

You're correct, I made a lot of assumptions, which all anyone can do in this thread.

Well, this thread is degenerating into unnecessary madness.

To the OP, yes, the PS3 will stop syncing at some point in the future. When will that be? I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

It is Sony we're talking about here, their answer to "backwards compatibility" is going to be to force you to buy PS Now. I have lost all faith in their company doing right by the players, 

Now, Sergen, backward compatibility is hard. After all, Shuhei Yoshida told me so. 

49 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think it is quiet different with ps now. When you play ps now, you are connected to the psn with a ps4. When you play ps3 you are connected to the psn with the ps3. So if sony will deactivate the login for ps3 , you can get still trophies with ps3 games on ps now.

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

PlayStation HQ is in Cali.

What's that's supposed to be, "PlayStation HQ"? Sony Interactive Entertainment sits in San Mateo, California, but the major decisions come solely from Japan. As with all other major Japanese companies, Sony is strictly hierarchic. Without the approval from Sony City, the CEOs in NA and Europe couldn't even fart.

• Like 1

FOOLS! PSN is everlasting and will never be shutdown.

To be honest, I think it'll be years before PS3 online will be stopped being supported. I mean come on, hasn't PS2's online been terminated just this year? IMO PS3 is safe for at least another console gen.

23 minutes ago, Sydoki said:

FOOLS! PSN is everlasting and will never be shutdown.

To be honest, I think it'll be years before PS3 online will be stopped being supported. I mean come on, hasn't PS2's online been terminated just this year? IMO PS3 is safe for at least another console gen.

PS2 was terminated in 2016. IIRC the network was resurrected somehow though, i mean certain games could still be played online but it's a PITA.

The moment this happens is the moment I give up the PS3 altogether. 

This goes back to PS3 games having to be streamed on the PS4 due to the way the PS3 was designed. One advantage the Xbox One has, but nobody at this point cares much about that system. 

The only surefire solutions is to re-release everything PS3 on the PS4 (thus making stacked trophy lists), or keep the PS3 syncing up a bit longer. I’m down to 21 games on the PS3, some of which I can do fairly quickly. But I’m afraid that we’re going to see a complete discontinuation of the system around post 2020. I just want to keep the stuff I have without having to worry about anything.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1