Will Sony ever stop PS3 syncing?

willmill97

I'm not 100% sure anymore but I think I've read somewhere in the small print in PSN that the servers will stay until the end of 2099. That's probably a placeholder though.

I'd like to question this: what about games with online support/content from PS2 era? Are some of these still exist?

1 hour ago, Solid-Fisch said:

I'm not 100% sure anymore but I think I've read somewhere in the small print in PSN that the servers will stay until the end of 2099. That's probably a placeholder though.

I'd like to question this: what about games with online support/content from PS2 era? Are some of these still exist?

Unofficial servers. Of course you can't download anything anymore, i.e. the Metal Gear Solid 3 DLC (they're in Subsistence and MGS3HD, anyway)

I hope not that would be awful. I have a ton of back log on ps3, i mean don't get me wrong i would still play the games for sure but it would really be disheartening if it wasn't possible to sync any trophies from ps3 games. As for your question i don't see Sony doing this but anything is possible at this point with online stuff and severs, Sony has shut down there own severs yes but to not be able to obtain any trophies would be insane. But sense most PS3 games are out of print anyways maybe if Sony ever sees that the money is not coming in from digital games on psn from ps3 games maybe they would pull it. But i don't know as other have said PSN is connected to all systems i can see them pull severs and maybe the ps3 psn store before syncing went away, i really hope and I'm sure many other hope this day doesn't come.

They'll probably drop PS3 and Vita support if and when they need to change the architecture of PSN. Could happen as soon as when PS5 comes out. They won't be dragging around obsolete systems forever, hindering their chances to get modern robust systems for their current flagship products and to keep up with the competition.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:08 AM, Sergen said:

It is Sony we're talking about here, their answer to "backwards compatibility" is going to be to force you to buy PS Now. I have lost all faith in their company doing right by the players, was it "for the players" to make PS+ cost more and reduce the amount of games we get from it? PSN for PS3 will shut down eventually and if I do lose my entire PS3 download list because of it then I also lose my will to continue supporting PlayStation with purchases in the future.

The real problem is Sony has no real competition. That's why their exclusives as of late have lacked any real innovation or variety and they can continue to sucker money out of people. Because who else are you going to turn to?

Having a Xbox One at this point is rather pointless, since Microsoft has already shelved once great franchises like Gears of War and given up on their Halo games. Phil Spencer is an asshole and his excuse was to make everything live service so you will be forced to pay monthly fees and agree to licensing laws that nobody in their right mind reads anyway. Nintendo is releasing more of the same for their Switch (another Mario game, another Mario Party title, a new Mario Kart, a new Smash Bros title, etc etc etc) without taking to time to create and make a new IP. 

Looking back at the PlayStation 2 era and early - mid Playstation 3 generation, Sony had a lot of great titles at their disposal not just from companies like Capcom and Konami but also they competed head to head with Xbox. Nowadays we're seeing more of a one trick pony. Microsoft and Nintendo are too far behind to really provide any good competition and their library of games isn't as great as it used to be.

Back in 2011 Sony begged us to stick with them because of the PSN shutdown that hurt their reputation and it exposed their console. With all the profits and money they made ever since the Xbox One disaster that plummeted Microsoft to being a joke of a competitor, Sony feels they can do whatever the hell they want without recourse, because they got the numbers.

This is why I'm not buying a PlayStation 5 until I see a change of heart not only from Sony but also from Microsoft and Nintendo. Maybe we'll see a new competitor. But right now things aren't looking so good. Sony doesn't have to try anymore because dominance of the market is all that matters to them.

• Like 1