(Rumor) Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 to be a launch title for PS5

kidson2004

I do apologize if this is in the wrong section, but apparently this “rumor” is running around on the Internet:

https://segmentnext.com/2019/09/02/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-2/?fbclid=IwAR1zx_P7IWT2TF9Ec8UjmRjhUpkZ3XqbwUCfLg85hMNRjnGx4PlhvvU8juE

And here’s the rumored list of playable characters:

• Nathan Drake
  • Kratos
  • Sackboy
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Spider-Man
  • Aloy (Horizon)
  • Helghast (Killzone)
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Spyro
  • Tomb Raider (Tomb Raider Legend)
  • Jill Valentine
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque
  • Kat
  • Dante
  • Parappa The Rapper
  • Ellie (Last of Us)
  • Delsin Rowe (inFamous)
  • Cloud (FF7 Remake)
  • Solid Snake
  • Ryu
    Chun-Li

Let us repeat that this is still just a rumor. Until there is further confirmation, take it with a grain of sand.

Thoughts? 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 3

I'm gonna say that's almost never gonna happen. The last game flopped, badly. Sony would have to dish out a lot of money for something they tried before.

I will give it a 1/1,000,000 chance of happening in the next 10 year's

Sad though

• Like 3

While this is my most wished for game right now, it's very unlikely. There have been a bunch of rumors about it, and they've all been wrong. Also, according to this rumor, they're gonna release it on PC, which I highly doubt. Oh, and "Tomb Raider" is a character ? I would really love a sequel, but it's not gonna happen probably

• Like 1

Wow, an actual decent list of playable characters if it's true, though I'd hope that they will have at least 30, non-DLC, characters before all said and done.

I think they could still add at least Sly Cooper, Astrobot, Spike, and Cole McGrath to the list.

I wonder if Capcom or someone like that would spearhead the development. I liked the idea of the original, but it was poorly executed imo. Either copy smash Bros or have health bars. I was not a fan of the kill with specials because the game was obviously horribly balanced from it. I'd be surprised if this rumor was true though. Taking this with a huge grain of salt. Lol!

• Like 2

According to this site, there is a chance that the sequel for Super Smash....I mean, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale might be happening in the future, as a Playstation 5 launch title.

It's tentative name would be "Playstation All-Stars Arena" and it would play nothing like it's predecessor, but rather like a blend of Dissidia and Power Stone.

It would also use cel-shaded art style, and it's (possible?) roster is nothing to pass by: it could even include Snake and Cloud, but that is a long shot.

Personally, I had nothing against the original PSASBR, it was a nice alternative for those not owning a Nintendo console. For a sequel, I've would have put a more mundane battle system (with life bars and supers) and leave the original mode, with stocks, timed battle and etc. as a "classic mode".

Other than that, would have given the minions a more active role, with supers of their own (both offensive and supportive) to help change the tide of a fight.

And, of course, a proper arcade/ campaign mode.

But we'll have to see how this unfolds to pass judgment.

https://screenrant.com/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-2-ps5-rumors/

I enjoyed what I did get to play of the first PS all stars, and would totally be down for another one. The first certainly had it's shortcomings and hopefully they could improve it with the sequel.

I would hope for more characters personally, despite the inclusion of a couple greats that missed the last battle (Spyro & Crash). I see a lot of characters missing that were in the first game, and I think some to most of them could come back. They could have Cole and Delsin in there, instead of just Delsin. Sweet Tooth should still come back too. Last Twisted Metal game sucked and who knows if it'll ever come back but it was still an iconic series. Sly Cooper too.

Edited by danceswithsloths

Whoever made this rumored roster list needs to really know how to make a convincing list. The character "Tomb Raider", the very general "Helghast" (the original at least specified Radec), third party characters making up almost half the roster, and a roster that sounds almost complete. I'd really like there to be a second game, but this doesn't sound like it's it.

I find it funny/infuriating that before release PSASBR was criticized for being a Smash clone, then after release it was criticized for not being enough like Smash.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:12 PM, KingGuy420 said:

No offense to PSASBR, but if the average consumer strolls into the store Holiday 2020 and it's either XBOX with Halo or PS5 with this, Sony is gonna get crushed lol.

Agreed. I know a lot of people liked PSASBR, but lots of others didn't, and even more didn't care. The game didn't exactly light up sales numbers on release, and it's doubtful that a sequel will somehow outsell its predecessor (I know it happens sometimes, but it's rare).

@kidson2004 Jak *and Daxter, not &.

-----

"Coming to PC in 2021".... w..h..a..t?

Sly Cooper not being listed is interesting considering Jak and Ratchet are. As for Ellie, I don't like the idea of her representing The Last of Us, solely, especially with what TLOUP2 is pushing. 

As for the style of gameplay, so it isn't a typo or poor wording, it, if even real, is actually suppose to function like a 3D arena fighter, like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, My Hero One's Justice, and Kill la Kill: IF? While I can see some fun that can come from that design, that is still at least partially worrisome and definitely a huge departure from the 2D brawler style (and imagining Jak in that type of setting, again, is funny, since he's generally not a combat oriented character).

On 9/2/2019 at 10:47 PM, Dav9834 said:

I'm gonna say that's almost never gonna happen.

The last game flopped, badly. Sony would have to dish out a lot of money for something they tried before.

That's a very bizarre statement. The genre itself is popular, SIE has among the biggest cast of exclusive video game characters and they haven't even remotely developed enough games in the genre to even step away from it.

That's objectively untrue. The game met expectations and sold at least 1mil. Beyond that, it received multiple DLC and post launch support. 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

That's a very bizarre statement. The genre itself is popular, SIE has among the biggest cast of exclusive video game characters and they haven't even remotely developed enough games in the genre to even step away from it.

That's objectively untrue. The game met expectations and sold at least 1mil. Beyond that, it received multiple DLC and post launch support. 

Sony released no data on sales of the game so I have no idea where your getting your number of at least 1mil.

It also clearly didn't meet Sony's expectations since they even cut ties with the developer and made the last few dlcs in house. Probably for legal reasons of post content. Then dropped it.

The only bizarre statement is that you think my opinion "that a second game will likely never happen anytime soon" is bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Sony released no data on sales of the game so I have no idea where your getting your number of at least 1mil. It also clearly didn't meet Sony's expectations since they even cut ties with the developer and made the last few dlcs in house. Probably for legal reasons of post content. Then dropped it.

The only bizarre statement is that you think my opinion "that a second game will likely never happen anytime soon" is bizarre. 

Yes they objectively did, and yes the game obviously has, so I have no idea why you're spreading false information. They confirmed a long time ago that the game both sold 1mil and met expectations, regardless of what you personally believe. There was also more support than just DLC content.

Actually, I misinterpreted the post under the lens of a different topic (a general sequel, period, rather than a PS5 launch title). However, your comment is still fairly bizarre enough in that it's not impossible or unheard of for unsuccessful and slightly successful franchises to continue on with other installments in a relatively quick time-frame (under 10yrs).

Edited by EcoShifter

@Dav9834, @EcoShifter

From the wiki 

Sales and futureEdit

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that over a million copies of the game had been sold by June 12, 2013, though he conceded that, at the time, this was not enough to justify a sequel or developing further DLC for the game

Edit:

It seems to have sold well, but not well enough for their standards at the time.  It wouldnt be unreasonable for them to try again

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@Dav9834, @EcoShifter

From the wiki 

Sales and futureEdit

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that over a million copies of the game had been sold by June 12, 2013, though he conceded that, at the time, this was not enough to justify a sequel or developing further DLC for the game

There was no need to tag me. I've already been aware of this (as my post shows), and no the last line does not debunk my argument, since I figure that's why you tagged me(?)along with the person making the false claim. Although I was inevitably going to post the source myself, thanks for stepping in to post that anyway.

Edited by EcoShifter

23 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@Dav9834, @EcoShifter

From the wiki 

Sales and futureEdit

Edit:

It seems to have sold well, but not well enough for their standards at the time.  It wouldnt be unreasonable for them to try again

I usually dont look at wikis so I missed thar ><, thank you for the correction :)

That must be worldwide sales I presume?

20 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

There was no need to tag me. I've already been aware of this (as my post shows), and no the last line does not debunk my argument, since I figure that's why you tagged me(?)along with the person making the false claim. Although I was inevitably going to post the source myself, thanks for stepping in to post that anyway.

I was wrong about the number my apologies.

But aside from that they are all my opinions, so they can not be false claims. And I'll stick with my opinion, it's 1/1,000,000 that Sony will make another in the next 10 year's. And that it did flop badly if it only sold 1Mil for a AAA game with all costs. 

It seems your just looking for someone to fight with instead of agreeing to disagree. 

My original post of my opinion which was not necessary to even partially quote let alone respond in such a heated manner. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:47 PM, Dav9834 said:

I'm gonna say that's almost never gonna happen. The last game flopped, badly. Sony would have to dish out a lot of money for something they tried before.

I will give it a 1/1,000,000 chance of happening in the next 10 year's

Sad though

Psnp has changed, I've never had people get so angry with an opinion so tame like that before.