Figured Out Why "Non-Standard Issue" Is Bugging (+ Solution).

PhantomFear94

Thank you so much- I am going through the game slowly and have yet to receive Untapped Potential / do any of those side quests.  I just completed mission 6, I'll try the above steps.  

It must have been so frustrating trying to figure this out, but it's much appreciated.  Hopefully they will be able to patch this.  Low frame rates don't bother me much, but bugs affecting trophies do!

Thanks again to all involved, I'll update again when I try the steps.

2 minutes ago, HappyChika said:

Thank you so much- I am going through the game slowly and have yet to receive Untapped Potential / do any of those side quests.  I just completed mission 6, I'll try the above steps.  

It must have been so frustrating trying to figure this out, but it's much appreciated.  Hopefully they will be able to patch this.  Low frame rates don't bother me much, but bugs affecting trophies do!

Thanks again to all involved, I'll update again when I try the steps.

People recommended for me the "What You Need to Do" (those credited). This basically just explains why, I didn't quite understand the logic.

Edited by PhantomFear94

I also wanted to update to say following these steps DOES work.  I upgrades everything to level 2 before doing any side missions.  After doing fridge duty, I now have the ability to upgrade all weapons to level 3.

The exception, of course, is Pierce.  I have no idea if they ever even intended for that weapon to be upgraded in the first place or it is just bugged no matter what.

Thank you so much again for figuring this out!!!

13 hours ago, HappyChika said:

I also wanted to update to say following these steps DOES work.  I upgrades everything to level 2 before doing any side missions.  After doing fridge duty, I now have the ability to upgrade all weapons to level 3.

The exception, of course, is Pierce.  I have no idea if they ever even intended for that weapon to be upgraded in the first place or it is just bugged no matter what.

Thank you so much again for figuring this out!!!

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, if you go in the Menu it appears as if there are 2 more "unlock-able" slots, I could never personally unlock them. I've heard this bug doesn't exist on PC but I'm not certain. 

No problem! Glad it worked for you, I wouldn't want anyone struggling to the length myself and others did haha. 

So I am on mission 6 and I haven’t upgraded any forms yet, but I have done a few side missions. Is this why I can’t get the resources to upgrade my forms? Am I screwed on this playthrough? Started the game a few weeks ago and I Been away from it for the last few weeks so I didn’t know this was a thing. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

On 9/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, PhantomFear94 said:

I think I've figured the bug out with A LOT of help from bboysunny93, cirifionas, Mystica_Link, Valkirie22, xI KaZaR Ix (TrueAchievements) and baazfury (TrueAchievements). Would appreciate as many people as possible verifying this works for them, too. 

During my original run, I completed all main missions, all side missions, all upgrades, and every other achievement. I never got the opportunity to complete any Level 3 weapon forms. This was because, in essense, the bug originates from the timing you receive the material "untapped potential" (a side-boss related material reward).

You must upgrade at least one weapon form to Level 2 before doing a side mission (or Mission 9: Polaris) rewarding Untapped Potential, or you'll be locked out of Level 3 upgrades (missions you earn Untapped Potential are as follows Fridge Duty, The Enemy Within, Old Growth, Self-Reflection, Mr. Tommasi). If you are still on Level 1 for all Weapon forms but earn untapped potential, you will get locked out of receiving Level 3 upgrades, as this is the material which triggers Level 3 schematics. For some reason, it doesn't bank until after you've done Level 2, it has to be done when Level 3 is the "next" upgrade you need for those weapons (hope that makes sens).

Don't do any of these side missions for now until you've at least 1 (I had 3) Level 2 weapons. Once you earn Untapped Potential going in with weapon forms at Level 2, it'll unlock the schematic for those weapons. Just did it now, worked first time. Various people have advised to do the Grip schematic, which is probably the easiest to upgrade. Pierce is bugged for everyone and can't be upgraded beyond Level 1. 

What you need to do:

- Complete Main Mission 1 - 6 

- Complete A Good Defense, A Captive Audience, and a Merry Chase side missions (all are quick and easy)

- Have at least 1 Weapon Form at Level 2. I recommend Grip or Shatter

- Finally, complete Fridge Duty. DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE THE OTHER STEPS.

Something is missing in this step by step because I never received untapped potential ever. And I had grip at level two as soon as possible and way before I did the side quests y’all say are glitching it out. None of the side quests rewarded me with untapped potential.

6 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Something is missing in this step by step because I never received untapped potential ever. And I had grip at level two as soon as possible and way before I did the side quests y’all say are glitching it out. None of the side quests rewarded me with untapped potential.

I am almost certain you need Untapped Potential for Level 3 upgrades, a few people have verified it. I definitely got Untapped Potential from most (possibly all) of these missions, Fridge Duty and The Enemy Within are absolute definites, the others are very similar missions so I imagine they would have the same reward or a similar rare material. Corroborating this is that someone on TA stated that ALL Level 3 required Untapped Potential (TA Solution), which I think is true because any weapons I had at Level 2 all had their Level 3 schematics unlocked the first time I did one of the listed side missions on my second playthroughs. 

I had a nasty bug in my mop-up where I couldn't obtain any of certain materials, this is the only thing I can think of that may be stopping you from receiving Untapped Potential. This only happened after trying chapter select, though. 

In conclusion, Control is buggy AF...

Edited by PhantomFear94

7 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

So I am on mission 6 and I haven’t upgraded any forms yet, but I have done a few side missions. Is this why I can’t get the resources to upgrade my forms? Am I screwed on this playthrough? Started the game a few weeks ago and I Been away from it for the last few weeks so I didn’t know this was a thing. 

If you have only done side missions not listed in OP (i.e. What a Mess or Ability side-missions), you should be fine. If not, I cannot categorically confirm whether the glitch will happen, but I imagine it would. 

For every one that it did happen to I found that was because we all found the material Untapped Potential from the OP list of side missions (which would trigger the Level 3 schematic) whilst we were on Level 1 still, and before we upgraded weapon forms the Level 2 schematic. When Level 3 was the "next schematic" we needed for our Level 2 weapons, the Level 3 schematics unlocked fine upon first receiving Untapped Potential. I can't remember if all of those side missions reward Untapped Potential, but Fridge Duty and The Enemy Within definitely do, and the others are very similar so the reward will likely be the same (the only other non-area related material is Hidden Trend, which from experience comes from named enemy types). 

For further context, Upgrades and Constructs become available in Astral Constructs when you find the 1st of all required materials for the first time (i.e. for Grip Level 2, the first time you find 1 Hidden Trend, 1 House Memory, and 1 Undefined Reading). If you haven't had many Level 2 upgrades, you may not have explored enough. This will vary player to player based on exploration. If you're going back on a 2nd playthrough be sure to kill named enemies whenever possible for Hidden Trend, either through a mission or a Bureau Alert. I'll add this to the OP, I should have probably mentioned this. I found Shatter Level 2 didn't require me to go out of my way at all. 

If you have done one of the OP lists of side missions, and you never get the option to get to Level 3, this will probably be why you aren't getting upgrades. In this instance, just do a new playthrough with the OP steps, it took me 2-3 hours and once you're familiar with the game it is considerably easier/quicker than your first "completionist" run. Do all other trophies first, of course. You can try chapter select, but for me, that glitched the game and didn't let me pick up certain materials, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

If you have only done side missions not listed in OP (i.e. What a Mess or Ability side-missions), you should be fine. If not, I cannot categorically confirm whether the glitch will happen, but I imagine it would. 

For every one that it did happen to I found that was because we all found the material Untapped Potential from the OP list of side missions (which would trigger the Level 3 schematic) whilst we were on Level 1 still, and before we upgraded weapon forms the Level 2 schematic. When Level 3 was the "next schematic" we needed for our Level 2 weapons, the Level 3 schematics unlocked fine upon first receiving Untapped Potential. I can't remember if all of those side missions reward Untapped Potential, but Fridge Duty and The Enemy Within definitely do, and the others are very similar so the reward will likely be the same (the only other non-area related material is Hidden Trend, which from experience comes from named enemy types). 

For further context, Upgrades and Constructs become available in Astral Constructs when you find the 1st of all required materials for the first time (i.e. for Grip Level 2, the first time you find 1 Hidden Trend, 1 House Memory, and 1 Undefined Reading). If you haven't had many Level 2 upgrades, you may not have explored enough. This will vary player to player based on exploration. If you're going back on a 2nd playthrough be sure to kill named enemies whenever possible for Hidden Trend, either through a mission or a Bureau Alert. I'll add this to the OP, I should have probably mentioned this. I found Shatter Level 2 didn't require me to go out of my way at all. 

If you have done one of the OP lists of side missions, and you never get the option to get to Level 3, this will probably be why you aren't getting upgrades. In this instance, just do a new playthrough with the OP steps, it took me 2-3 hours and once you're familiar with the game it is considerably easier/quicker than your first "completionist" run. Do all other trophies first, of course. You can try chapter select, but for me, that glitched the game and didn't let me pick up certain materials, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Ok, suppose I’ll use the gathered information and advice in my progression of the game, thanks for the response.

9 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I am almost certain you need Untapped Potential for Level 3 upgrades, a few people have verified it. I definitely got Untapped Potential from most (possibly all) of these missions, Fridge Duty and The Enemy Within are absolute definites, the others are very similar missions so I imagine they would have the same reward or a similar rare material. Corroborating this is that someone on TA stated that ALL Level 3 required Untapped Potential (TA Solution), which I think is true because any weapons I had at Level 2 all had their Level 3 schematics unlocked the first time I did one of the listed side missions on my second playthroughs. 

I had a nasty bug in my mop-up where I couldn't obtain any of certain materials, this is the only thing I can think of that may be stopping you from receiving Untapped Potential. This only happened after trying chapter select, though. 

In conclusion, Control is buggy AF...

So do I need everything that can be crafted crafted before I do those certain side quests or as long as I have just one gun at level 2 I’m good?

28 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

So do I need everything that can be crafted crafted before I do those certain side quests or as long as I have just one gun at level 2 I’m good?

You should be good with 1 at Level 2. If you want to play it safe have 2-3 like I did, but it shouldn’t matter... 1 should be fine (don’t forget you can’t upgrade Pierce).

I had Grip and Shatter at Level 2 and the Level 3 schematics unlocked for them both immediately after doing this method. I think I had at Level 3 schematic for Spin unlocked too, can’t 100% remember which the 3rd form was though. 

Edited by PhantomFear94

25 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

You should be good with 1 at Level 2. If you want to play it safe have 2-3 like I did, but it shouldn’t matter... 1 should be fine (don’t forget you can’t upgrade Pierce).

I had Grip and Shatter at Level 2 and the Level 3 schematics unlocked for them both immediately after doing this method. I think I had at Level 3 schematic for Spin unlocked too, can’t 100% remember which the 3rd form was though. 

Ok thanks. On my first playthrough it wouldn’t let me make the pierce form period. it would take my materials like it was constructing it but it never did.

@HappyChika I’m still stuck in a rut. I already beat the game before the patch and never had the chance to upgrade pierce to level 2. Post-patch, I’m still unable to upgrade anything up to level 3. Strangely enough, if I craft a mod and then open up the weapon schematics option I suddenly am able to craft pierce level 2 (but not before). Even when I craft pierce lvl 2, I still am prohibited from upgrading anything to level 3. So I feel like I’m still screwed and have to do another playthru.

6 hours ago, tmansep22 said:

@HappyChika I’m still stuck in a rut. I already beat the game before the patch and never had the chance to upgrade pierce to level 2. Post-patch, I’m still unable to upgrade anything up to level 3. Strangely enough, if I craft a mod and then open up the weapon schematics option I suddenly am able to craft pierce level 2 (but not before). Even when I craft pierce lvl 2, I still am prohibited from upgrading anything to level 3. So I feel like I’m still screwed and have to do another playthru.

Oh darn, I'm sorry to hear that :(

hopefully a fix for that is coming, too...

12 hours ago, tmansep22 said:

DId you follow OP steps in your new playthrough? My understanding is that the patch has only given you the option to upgrade to Level 3 w/ Pierce, as with the other weapons. It hasn't resolved this  pertinent issue which is you can get locked out of Level 3 form upgrades. 

I think ALL level 3 upgrades are linked to Untapped Potential, and that you have to get to Level 2 before finding some. 

On 9/11/2019 at 3:49 AM, PhantomFear94 said:

I think ALL level 3 upgrades are linked to Untapped Potential, and that you have to get to Level 2 before finding some. 

I currently have only been able to get Pierce to level 2- I still have two more opportunities to get untapped potential, so I am hoping when I do get more the option for level 3 will he unlocked.  It would be a huge bummer if not.  I'll update when I find out.

UPDATE:  I unlocked the ability to upgrade Pierce to level 3 as soon as I obtained another Untapped Potential.  

Edited by HappyChika

Just want to update the relevant parties that I started my new game today and blasted through to mission 6. I was able to successfully upgrade to lvl 3 and unlock the platinum based on the method offered here. Thankfully, it only took about 3.5-4 hours. I still redownloaded my “complete” cloud save after I was finished cuz I was not recollecting all those documents (I have 259 and I’m sure I’m still missing a handful), outfits, and beating those bosses again haha. Cheers

Hey, just wanted to add to this since a friend of mine was having this issue. It's not actually a bug as far as I can make out. The option to upgrade won't appear unless you have at least one of each material needed to upgrade. While some of the materials are in boxes, the ones that drop from enemies are random, hence why some players never receive them and don't get the option to upgrade. If you've finished the game, and never got the upgrades you can actually go grind for them in certain areas. Here's an article listing where each material drops. https://xboxplay.games/news/control-how-to-find-all-materials-tips-and-tricks-2922