It's their job to do this kind of nerdy nitpicking on technical details you may not even notice while playing the game.

I think their (technical) review was fair, FVIIIR a mixed bag indeed. There are some evident improvements, some things that didn't changed, and now sticks out because they weren't upgraded, and there are a few setbacks, like the interface. It's a detail, but it have some gameplay consequences so it has to be pointed out.

• Like 1

Aren't remasters supposed to improve things or, at the very least, not make them worse? I think it's well within their rights to harp on something like that. You really can just look at the 40% positive reviews on Steam to get an idea of the quality of this "remaster".

• Like 3

To be fair, low framerate on a turn-based RPG doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me. However, if it's noticeable enough that some people might find it uncomfortable, especially having played the original game on the PS1, it does warrant a bit of criticism even if it doesn't ruin the finished product IMO.

• Like 1

I dunno, seemed pretty fair and balanced to me.  He had a lot of good things to say about the game itself and the QoL improvements.

One thing he showed that was really jarring though was the difference between the PS1 and remastered's Balamb Garden.  It looks so bad in the remastered version and makes someone like me who is on the fence about the game reconsider purchasing. 

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Just remember, Ocarina of Time is considered one of the best games ever made... Ran at 17-20 fps. 

Framerate don't mean shit to quality.

It depends. Ocarina of Time's slow paced combats are a fit for its low framerate. Same here with FFVIII's turn-based combats. But for example try the PS3 version of Bayonetta and its abysmal performances after playing any other version of the game and you'll see how bad framerate and other performance issues can ruin what would be otherwise a excellent game experience.

(and to be honest, going back to the original N64 version of Ocarina of Time today is a bit painful, technical it hasn't aged as well as our memories of it have)

• Like 3

You are angry about this part? Remasters are supposed to be better in every aspect, if it's not the case you need to point that out. Digital Foundry are amazing when it comes to technical aspects like framerates, graphics, lighting etc. They did everything right with this review. I love FF8 but this version is not the definitve one. It is better, yes but not in every regard, so what are you complaining about? It's not like they just mentioned that and made a 12 minute video out of it. The low framerate is is a problem if you have the PS1 and PS4 version side by side, so it is absolutely right to talk about it. In fact, it's specific things like that why Digital Foundry is so great. And btw. I didn't feel any bias in that review.

• Like 2

Problem is when your trying to use Squall’s limit break it is an absolute mess. You have to hit the R1 button almost a half second before it looks like your supposed to if that makes sense. So if you hit the trigger when it goes into the square like your supposed to it never connects due to the response time. I do like the new character models though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzyabear said:

Problem is when your trying to use Squall’s limit break it is an absolute mess. You have to hit the R1 button almost a half second before it looks like your supposed to if that makes sense. So if you hit the trigger when it goes into the square like your supposed to it never connects due to the response time. I do like the new character models though...

This is very true. Especially since what you'll be doing most of the game is either attack (where you should press R1 as you hit the enemy with Squall), wait for limit break (mash triangle or circle or whatever it is fast until you get a limit break where you gotta react to that quickly before pressing again) or mash buttons during GFs. All of it requires good frame rate.

Broken battle system goes from broken to more broken.

Edited by MMDE

Truth of the matter is, this remaster does have problems. :/ Doesn't really feel like it's remasteed to me, I'm sure a bit more effort could have been put into this. I tried messing with my television settings but to no avail...the environments in my game are all blurry, I don't remember the graphics being like that in the PS1 version. Only the battles seem to have crisp visuals.

4 hours ago, TerminusCross said:

Truth of the matter is, this remaster does have problems. :/ Doesn't really feel like it's remasteed to me, I'm sure a bit more effort could have been put into this. I tried messing with my television settings but to no avail...the environments in my game are all blurry, I don't remember the graphics being like that in the PS1 version. Only the battles seem to have crisp visuals.

Well... try to hook up a PS1 on your 4k screen, even just 1080p. It'll look fucked up as hell. And FF8 always was super blurry. I think they've just upscaled everything, and you may get the same effect from just putting on the right filter in an emulator for ps1.

Just now, MMDE said:

Well... try to hook up a PS1 on your 4k screen, even just 1080p. It'll look fucked up as hell. And FF8 always was super blurry. I think they've just upscaled everything, and you may get the same effect from just putting on the right filter in an emulator for ps1.

If the graphics looked like that on PS1, then fair enough. I could have sworn they were crisper than that at the time, of course that was quite a while ago. I don't even have a ps1 to compare with anymore. (I'd need an old tv too, which I also don't have)

Feels more like a port than a remaster though. If they actually had ported it without upscaling the works though, it would look horrendous lol.

Edited by TerminusCross

2 hours ago, TerminusCross said:

If the graphics looked like that on PS1, then fair enough. I could have sworn they were crisper than that at the time, of course that was quite a while ago. I don't even have a ps1 to compare with anymore. (I'd need an old tv too, which I also don't have)

Feels more like a port than a remaster though. If they actually had ported it without upscaling the works though, it would look horrendous lol.

They felt crisper on CRT screens. I was shocked when I first time played a PS1 game on PS3 with a large 1080p screen.

Edited by MMDE

The whole "framerate" thing is ridiculous and pedantic. Now someone will say "b-but they modded FF7 to run at 60FPS on PC" YEAH, SO WHAT? IT HAS ITS OWN ISSUES. For example the graphics when you summon Bahamut Zero have severe issues.

I'm just glad that they fixed certain slowdowns (i.e. Rinoa's Wishing Star, the transition sequences before and after Ultimecia's final form), too bad there are some issues with music ("The Extreme" doesn't start from the beginning, the Ragnarok music always start from the beginning AND THOSE WERE FIXED BY A WELL KNOWN MOD!), but hey, it's nothing that's not possible to patch (ugh)

Edited by Lance_87

Just now, MMDE said:

They felt crisper on CRT screens. I was shocked when I first time played a PS1 game on PS3 with a large 1080p screen.

Knew I wasn't completely nuts. Back when I played the ps1 version, I had an old tube tv which, even back then, was ancient. An old Lloyd's from like the early 80's. Damn thing lasted forever too.

Off topic, sorry. I just loved that tv lol.