19 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Just remember, Ocarina of Time is considered one of the best games ever made... Ran at 17-20 fps. 

Framerate don't mean shit to quality.

I don't know if I could play it very long today. I usually start to get a headache when a game runs at less than 30 FPS. I struggled through Breath of the Wild on WiiU because the game was so good but my console was struggling so hard with that game that I thought it was going to just give up the ghost. 

22 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

Sorry DF, but this Review veered from tech analysis into bad take and totally missed the mark if you ask me.

How? You just claim it's not a big deal that the menus are objectively worse. Which is subjective. Either way, how could they fuck it up? It's "just a menu" so why DOESN'T it run at 60fps like the PSone? That's just a lame port job in my book, even if it is a minor problem compared to other things that could be wrong.

(don't have time to watch the review right now, will watch it in a bit when I can devote the time to it; so what else they talk about I have no idea - hopefully it avoids the crappy blurry backgrounds that FFIX had, but I've seen people on twitter complaining about it for VIII as well so idk).

20 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Just remember, Ocarina of Time is considered one of the best games ever made... Ran at 17-20 fps. 

Framerate don't mean shit to quality.

Except the game would be better if it had a better framerate... People just forgive the problem because their nostalgia boner for it. I grew up with it too, but that game is massively overrated. And it's performance should be a bigger stick in people's craw. But heaven forbid you criticize the golden child of gaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

How? You just claim it's not a big deal that the menus are objectively worse. Which is subjective. Either way, how could they fuck it up? It's "just a menu" so why DOESN'T it run at 60fps like the PSone? That's just a lame port job in my book, even if it is a minor problem compared to other things that could be wrong.

(don't have time to watch the review right now, will watch it in a bit when I can devote the time to it; so what else they talk about I have no idea - hopefully it avoids the crappy blurry backgrounds that FFIX had, but I've seen people on twitter complaining about it for VIII as well so idk).

Except the game would be better if it had a better framerate... People just forgive the problem because their nostalgia boner for it. I grew up with it too, but that game is massively overrated. And it's performance should be a bigger stick in people's craw. But heaven forbid you criticize the golden child of gaming.

I don't know, man, it's weird. I got the same feeling I got when I played Sonic Mania, which is that the game looks like I remember it looking. You know this image in your mind that you have of something you haven't seen in 10 or 20 years, you remember it looking better that it really does, so when you get to the newer version/game it feels like it looks the same as you remember, but in reality it looks much better.

When I first played Sonic Mania I was like "damn, this looks just like Sonic 3", but then I went back and played Sonic 3 and realized how much worse it looked. That is exactly what I felt with FF VIII Remastered.

I've heard the menues work at like 16 FPS or something shitty like that but I can't complain since it felt like it worked just as usual. I didn't get dropped inputs or anything.

What really took a hit are the CG cutscenes. Holy shit does the resolution change make the difference, lol.

12 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

but hey, it's nothing that's not possible to patch (ugh)

i doubt that. for pc it's rather easy sure, i think fans are faster with this than the developers.

but it took them like 2 years to fix the music issues in ff7 and ff9, at least on console that is.

honestly if they can't even get an old ass game like ff8 right on new consoles i'm starting to doubt what they are actually capable of..

i mean c'mon, ps5 is on the horizon in 2020 and they can't even get this right..

they are acting like it's a big deal to change the fps in the menu's so we can get a smooth experience, same in battles.

Edited by Pendaemonium
sry, I'm on mobile. did some formatting now.

29 minutes ago, Pendaemonium said:

but it took them like 2 years to fix the music issues in ff7 and ff9, at least on console that is.

FF7? It still has audio/music issues that weren't fixed on PC. For example the Shinra Mansion music doesn't loop properly compared to the PS1 version.

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

FF7? It still has audio/music issues that weren't fixed on PC. For example the Shinra Mansion music doesn't loop properly compared to the PS1 version.

From what I've heard the FF7 code is a total mess. They barely got it running again before launch, and when they finally did, they didn't want to touch it anymore. :D 

On 07/09/2019 at 5:34 AM, Fragtaster said:

So I want to be clear here: 99% of the time I love what Digital Foundry does. However, after actually playing this remaster I realized just how brutally unfair and negative bias they were with this Remaster. There main crux being that the combat menus are 16fps on PS4/PC/XBO versus 60fps on PS1 (something that apparently stuck in their craw so they felt the need to harped on about it).

Seriously guys? It's a menu, and unless you where conscious of the difference and then played the PS1 and PS4 versions back to back, no sane person will notice a difference. You just click attack, draw, or item most the time. They even made it out like limit breaks were somehow more difficult as a result - which in reality are still very easy to do.

Worse, you scroll down to the comments and it's a army of mouth breathers who clearly never played the Remaster making insulting puns about it whilst most likely trying hard not to let saliva dribble out of their unbrushed mouths and onto their phone screens or keyboards.

Sorry DF, but this Review veered from tech analysis into bad take and totally missed the mark if you ask me.

Expecting anything other than mouth breathers and sycophants on anything related to Eurogamer? Lol.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

From what I've heard the FF7 code is a total mess. They barely got it running again before launch, and when they finally did, they didn't want to touch it anymore. :D 

Yeah it has the same bugs from the PC version, like i said above, certain music not looping properly, and wrong/glitched sound effects, and other weird things like the Blue Chocobo slowing down in the "underwater" section of the Chocobo Race instead of the "windy" one, when it should be the opposite (and vice-versa with the Green Chocobo)

Edited by Lance_87

36 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Yeah it has the same bugs from the PC version, like i said above, certain music not looping properly, and wrong/glitched sound effects, and other weird things like the Blue Chocobo slowing down in the "underwater" section of the Chocobo Race instead of the "windy" one, when it should be the opposite (and vice-versa with the Green Chocobo)

I was talking about the original PS1 and PC version, not the later re-releases. FF8 was originally released on PC too. FF9 wasn't though.

Edited by MMDE

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

I was talking about the original PS1 and PC version, not the later re-releases. FF8 was originally released on PC too. FF9 wasn't though.

Wait, weren't we talking about FF7 on the PS4? It is based on the 2012 PC re-release which had the same bugs from the original PC version.

Edited by Lance_87

I lol'd hard at the part about Selphie's weapon type name being changed in Europe.

Italy didn't give a damn about that change, but no site reported it xD

riviste_armimese3_3.jpg

It's hard to read, but the second line clearly says "nunchaku". I have never ever heard about this story before this very year...

Edited by Lance_87

Did we watch the same review? Because that was overall a pretty positive analysis with due regard given to its shortcomings. I'm glad this remaster exists but I'm not gonna pretend it's perfect or couldn't have been just that little bit better- the menu FPS downgrade irks me quite a bit as well as the effect it has on Squall's Renzokuken

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Did we watch the same review? Because that was overall a pretty positive analysis with due regard given to its shortcomings. I'm glad this remaster exists but I'm not gonna pretend it's perfect or couldn't have been just that little bit better- the menu FPS downgrade irks me quite a bit as well as the effect it has on Squall's Renzokuken

I was thinking exactly the same thing. If I had to divide praise versus criticism in that review it would be close to 80% praise and 20% criticism. The criticism was even made conceding the fact that the final product is impressive despite the fact that they wish it was a perfect port. I thought it was pretty fair.