When will a HD larger than 2TB be released for use with the PS4?

whittle181

It's my understanding that the maximum HD you can have for your PS4 which is internal is 2TB (because the larger capacity ones won't fit).
I don't want to use an external one which i know can reach 6TB, because i transport my console regularly and don't want any hardware or extra wires attached to it at all.
Will there ever come a day when a slim enough hard drive bigger than 2TB can actually fit inside your PS4 do you think? If so, when?

Edited by whittle181

You can buy a 10TB internal hard drive for the PS4. Just make sure you download the files needed to reformat the hard drive from Sony's website onto a USB and pop the internal hard drive out that's currently in there and put the new one in with the aforementioned USB drive in the PS4 and let it run it's magic. Problem Solved.

Well, seeing as it's limited by the physical size of the drive itsef, it's entirely up to whether it's physically possible to manufacture more compact data storage.

Just now, Alex_Beerson said:

You can buy a 10TB internal hard drive for the PS4. Just make sure you download the files needed to reformat the hard drive from Sony's website onto a USB and pop the internal hard drive out that's currently in there and put the new one in with the aforementioned USB drive in the PS4 and let it run it's magic. Problem Solved.

The maximum specified thickness for a hard drive that'll fit inside a PS4 is 9.5mm as far as I know. Pretty sure they don't make 10TB drives that are that small. The issue here is due to the physical dimensions and bigger disks needing more data plates inside them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IDiivil said:

Well, seeing as it's limited by the physical size of the drive itsef, it's entirely up to whether it's physically possible to manufacture more compact data storage.

The maximum specified thickness for a hard drive that'll fit inside a PS4 is 9.5mm as far as I know. Pretty sure they don't make 10TB drives that are that small. The issue here is due to the physical dimensions and bigger disks needing more data plates inside them.

It doesn't need to fit the PS4 tbh. Also, I searched for various 2.5" SSDs you can buy, and I found some that are even 30TB. Very expensive, but you can get it. Way cheaper is around 5-15TB.

Edited by MMDE

16 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

Snip

How the heck is a usb 3 out performing a sata Interface? 

While yeah you can upgrade to a SSD at bigger capacity it won't take full advantage of the SSD interface there's enough articles to drown a moose regarding that, something my buddy did was "mod" his OG PS4 using a sata cable a hdd power cable that plugs into a wall and a 8(might be 10)TB internal Seagate Barracuda pro HDD. Essentially it sits on a shelf beside the PlayStation I think he had it on top of his external 5tb.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

lol, no prob. I STILL can't believe it myself! Hopefully PS5 is SATA III if they plan to go the SSD route. :D

PS4 Pro is already SATA III, probably worth the update to a 480 GB SSD in case you can manage yourself with that storage amount. 1 TB SSD is hell out of the price curve still, depends on how much you wanna invest.

In my experience, 1 TB HD suffices well for my needs in my Fat PS4 (would prefer to be able to use a 5 Ghz external wi-fi board than to have SATA III connection in it lol, 2.4 GHz wi-fi sucks nowadays, too much interference in crowded environments such as condos)

• Like 1

Ok in this thread I read a lot talking about 6TB+ drives for ps4, for all I know I remember Ps4 doesnt support drives higher than a certain size. That could had been change since now, this was way back when ps4 was allowed external to be used a thing. I know we are talking about internal but is there confirmation than anything higher than 6TB works atm internally? Sony needs to give us a firmware that can read bigger size, even if there is 30+TB drives right??

edit: ok I just did some searching. 10TB internal is a thing. Sweet!

Edited by NERVergoproxy

• 2 weeks later...