1000 kills trophy?

Asph1

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if the 1000 kills trophy means 1000 enemy kills or 1000 encounters?
For example: an encounter with a pack of 3 monsters counts as 3 kills or 1?

It's the last trophy I'm missing and i think i'm over 1000 kills (but i'm at 600 encounters, considering most encounters have 2-3 monsters)

Thanks!

No wait, not even 10 minutes have passed and the trophy unlocked (I also got the plat ?)
I confirm it's 1000 single enemies and not encounters.
Balamb students can keep track of Squall's kills.

Hope it's helpful for someone!

Edited by Asph1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DezuReborn said:

You can also track character's kills in the Battle Meter under the Information section in the menu, as long as you played cards with the guy in prison who gives you the upgrade.

I tracked that also but it only tells the encounters. I did not play cards against the prison guy though, maybe that upgrade also shows individual fights per character?

2 hours ago, DoodgraverNL said:

Does carding a monster count as a kill?

I believe so.

5 minutes ago, JPageMartin36 said:

Took me 2 hours (or near it) to get my 100 kill trophy on Balamb beach, but that session was mainly about getting GF abilities early.

Surely it's best to just leave this until disc 4 and then do it?  You might already be on 900 when you start grinding.

Pretty sure it's recommended to grind the remaining kills at the Fire Cavern since the levels of the monsters don't scale with yours.  

2 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Wow I talked to those girls and after what feels like millions of enemies they say I've only fought like 250? I'm in near constant battle walking the world map from place to place(especially when the fat garden can't fit) and only so few? Wtf?

The girl only tells you how many enemies Squall and Quistis have defeated, not your group's total stats. As stated, you can track your kills in the menu if the guy in the Desert Prison has upgraded your battle meter. 

5 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Weird question, does the final boss count as a kill? I'm trying to line it up as my 250th plat, but I'm kinda paranoid that it will pop the 1000 kills lol

Most likely, I wouldn't worry about it popping though I farmed a lot during my playthrough and still had to grind 300 kills after the main game to get the trophy.

• Like 1

Do gf kills count? And do they count seperatly from character kills like if squall summons ifrit and gets 4 kills does squall get the kills or ifrit or do they count for both as just 4. I'm trying to calculate with the battle meter cause something is Abit off with all characters it says I have like 488 total but that I've won over 550 times

13 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Do gf kills count? And do they count seperatly from character kills like if squall summons ifrit and gets 4 kills does squall get the kills or ifrit or do they count for both as just 4. I'm trying to calculate with the battle meter cause something is Abit off with all characters it says I have like 488 total but that I've won over 550 times

I would imagine a kill is a kill and the kill would count towards the character who used the GF.

32 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Wonder why the times I won is higher than my kill count then cause I know many times there was several enemies so should be alot higher

No clue, monsters killing themselves probably count as a win and doesn't add to the kill count, monsters escaping might count as a win with no kill, I had 575 battles with 551 won and got the trophy so no clue why you don't.

Edit: Monsters escaping counts as a win, so if you farmed Cactuars or anything that can escape and they all escaped could explain a difference between wins and kills.

Edited by Geiita

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I was wrong GF kills don't go towards the character that used it there separate to the GF but still counts towards the 1000 kills trophy.

17 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Wow I talked to those girls and after what feels like millions of enemies they say I've only fought like 250? I'm in near constant battle walking the world map from place to place(especially when the fat garden can't fit) and only so few? Wtf?

They seem not to take count of other characters besides Squall and Quistis! If you have like, Selphie and Rinoa in your party and they get the kill the girls in the garden won't count it.
To have a better track i killed both Quistis and Rinoa in my party to make sure Squall always had the kill.

I found the following method to be not only the fastest, but also an excellent method if you are doing a low-level run:

=>CACTUAR ISLAND - Just before entering Lunatic Pandora at the end of Disc 3<=

• Choose Zell + Squall + Irvine (As they have the fastest attack animations)
  • If Selphie has her Strange Vision weapon, use her instead of Zell as she has 255% accuracy on the weapon, granting more guaranteed kills in the same amount of time
  • Have Initiative on all 3 characters
  • Junction Alert on one of your characters (to prevent back attack escapes)
  • Junction your best magic on attack (and on Zell/Irvine's Hit stat if you can) and also add Water elemental attack.
  • Use the 3x Time cheat boost
  • Run up and down the island and spam X when you go into battle. Try to stay on the sand and not on the rocks of the island. Sand spawns 2-4 cactuars, and rocks can spawn as low as 1.

You will kill between 8-10 cactuars every minute, so you can easily be done within 2 hours max. Even faster if you haven't been shying away from random encounters up until this point. And the cactuars don't give a lot of experience, so you won't level up too fast.

Edited by Riekman

2 hours ago, Riekman said:

I found the following method to be not only the fastest, but also an excellent method if you are doing a low-level run:

• Choose Zell + Squall + Irvine (As they have the fastest attack animations)
  • If Selphie has her Strange Vision weapon, use her instead of Zell as she has 255% accuracy on the weapon, granting more guaranteed kills in the same amount of time
  • Have Initiative on all 3 characters
  • Junction Alert on one of your characters (to prevent back attack escapes)
  • Junction your best magic on attack (and on Zell/Irvine's Hit stat if you can) and also add Water elemental attack.
  • Use the 3x Time cheat boost
  • Run up and down the island and spam X when you go into battle. Try to stay on the sand and not on the rocks of the island. Sand spawns 2-4 cactuars, and rocks can spawn as low as 1.

You will kill between 8-10 cactuars every minute, so you can easily be done within 2 hours max. Even faster if you haven't been shying away from random encounters up until this point. And the cactuars don't give a lot of experience, so you won't level up too fast.

You also want the max atb meter booster, battles end much quicker dueto no waiting.

I just use it when farming, much quicker

16 hours ago, Optinooby said:

You also want the max atb meter booster, battles end much quicker dueto no waiting.

I just use it when farming, much quicker

That's very true. I didn't even consider that, since I was already killing them so fast. I also did some extra tinkering with junctions with that in mind and came up with this:

• Choose any squad, but DO NOT choose Rinoa. She is slow
  • Have [Initiative] on all 3 characters
  • Have the [Alert] ability on one of your characters (to prevent back attack escapes)
  • Junction Triple on Hit (IMPORTANT!!), Water on Elem Atk and your strongest magic on Strength. Nothing else matters, except maybe putting Pain/Aura/Death on Luck if you have that available.
  • If you have [Auto-haste], put that on characters to shorten their battle animations even more.
  • Add any [Str+??] abilities that you can, just to be safe.
  • DO NOT equip [Mug], card mod all your Cactuar cards and sell all your Cactus Thorns (so victory menus don't take forever)
  • (LOW-LEVEL RUNNERS) Order your squad so your lowest lvl characters are first in the attacking order. This minimizes the EXP the higher lvl characters will get.
  • Use the 3x Time (L3) and God Mode (R3) boosts.

In the end it took me ~1h15min to farm the remainder of my kills

Doesn't the battle meter tell you how many fights you've won right from the start? What's this about the prison guy upgrading it? I got it from Cid in the beginning of the game right after graduation. In the menu it tells me how many battles I've won and what I ran away from. So does the prison guy upgrade it so you see how many things you actually killed?

2 minutes ago, TerminusCross said:

Doesn't the battle meter tell you how many fights you've won right from the start? What's this about the prison guy upgrading it? I got it from Cid in the beginning of the game right after graduation. In the menu it tells me how many battles I've won and what I ran away from. So does the prison guy upgrade it so you see how many things you actually killed?

Im not sure about that as havent been that far yet but the Trepis Groupie in the classroom tells you how many monsters you have killed