1000 kills trophy?

Asph1

Cactuars are good like other people mentioned, but 1. no exp and 2. will run away if you're not quick enough.

The area around where Balamb Garden used to be is a good alternative if either of those things is a dealbreaker for you.  The enemies are weak (even with level scaling), give decent exp, and are often in groups.

I did a mix of cactuars + Balamb to get the trophy.

For clarification:

-Cid gives you the battle meter after making you a SeeD or when he gives you the item for Diablo.

-In the prison you need to play cards with a guy and he will upgrade it, showing the kills for each character.

-The CC group member that has the Leviathan card (in the training center) upgrades the battle meter again, showing the GF kills ( they count for the trophy)

15 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

For clarification:

-Cid gives you the battle meter after making you a SeeD or when he gives you the item for Diablo.

-In the prison you need to play cards with a guy and he will upgrade it, showing the kills for each character.

-The CC group member that has the Leviathan card (in the training center) upgrades the battle meter again, showing the GF kills ( they count for the trophy)

Thanks. Just got the upgrade from the guy in jail, didn't remember that at all, nor do I recall the CC group guy giving out a third upgrade. Know I beat those guys way back, because of...who must not be named...but damn this game feels so new to me lol.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:41 AM, Riekman said:

I found the following method to be not only the fastest, but also an excellent method if you are doing a low-level run:

=>CACTUAR ISLAND - Just before entering Lunatic Pandora at the end of Disc 3<=

• Choose Zell + Squall + Irvine (As they have the fastest attack animations)
  • If Selphie has her Strange Vision weapon, use her instead of Zell as she has 255% accuracy on the weapon, granting more guaranteed kills in the same amount of time
  • Have Initiative on all 3 characters
  • Junction Alert on one of your characters (to prevent back attack escapes)
  • Junction your best magic on attack (and on Zell/Irvine's Hit stat if you can) and also add Water elemental attack.
  • Use the 3x Time cheat boost
  • Run up and down the island and spam X when you go into battle. Try to stay on the sand and not on the rocks of the island. Sand spawns 2-4 cactuars, and rocks can spawn as low as 1.

You will kill between 8-10 cactuars every minute, so you can easily be done within 2 hours max. Even faster if you haven't been shying away from random encounters up until this point. And the cactuars don't give a lot of experience, so you won't level up too fast.

This is the method I've been using more or less and I'm hoping to get the trophy today before finishing the game. One thing I assume though is it's 1,000 kills total and not just 1,000 kills for Squall..

Edit: Just earned the trophy, safe to say I do not have 1,000 kills on just Squall so it's total. Cactuar farming is (imo) the easiest using this method.

Edited by Camtayn
update

On 9/16/2019 at 1:50 AM, TerminusCross said:

Doesn't the battle meter tell you how many fights you've won right from the start? What's this about the prison guy upgrading it? I got it from Cid in the beginning of the game right after graduation. In the menu it tells me how many battles I've won and what I ran away from. So does the prison guy upgrade it so you see how many things you actually killed?

If you have the battle meter (obtained from cid right after becoming a SeeD), you can upgrade your battle meter when you play cards with a man on floor 10 in the Desert Prison. This upgrade will allow you to see the exact amount of kills each character has done. It can be upgraded again by playing the CC member Joker in Balamb Garden's training center. The second upgrade will allow you to see GF kills

On 14/09/2019 at 10:41 AM, Riekman said:

I found the following method to be not only the fastest, but also an excellent method if you are doing a low-level run:

=>CACTUAR ISLAND - Just before entering Lunatic Pandora at the end of Disc 3<=

• Choose Zell + Squall + Irvine (As they have the fastest attack animations)
  • If Selphie has her Strange Vision weapon, use her instead of Zell as she has 255% accuracy on the weapon, granting more guaranteed kills in the same amount of time
  • Have Initiative on all 3 characters
  • Junction Alert on one of your characters (to prevent back attack escapes)
  • Junction your best magic on attack (and on Zell/Irvine's Hit stat if you can) and also add Water elemental attack.
  • Use the 3x Time cheat boost
  • Run up and down the island and spam X when you go into battle. Try to stay on the sand and not on the rocks of the island. Sand spawns 2-4 cactuars, and rocks can spawn as low as 1.

You will kill between 8-10 cactuars every minute, so you can easily be done within 2 hours max. Even faster if you haven't been shying away from random encounters up until this point. And the cactuars don't give a lot of experience, so you won't level up too fast.

Just to clarify, this ISNT the fastest way.

Ive have been doing a TONNE of experimenting with optimising platinum time, and I found a beach that ALWAYS spawn 3 x fish enemies. No escapes, no random enemy numbers, just always 3 enemies. 

I timed it, with the fish on the beach and 100 x death junc'd to Squall Stat-Atk (instant kills them), I was getting almost 12 kills every 60sec. The Cactuar method was getting me about 9 kills every 60sec if I average it out as that method isnt consistent.

That's a 1/3 more.

All you need for the fish beach is 100 x Death, nothing else and can be done way before Ragnarok if you just want to do it in breaks.

Will try to get a image up and description.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, Optinooby said:

Doesnt actually provide a way for those who need to farm it

The quickest way to farm is Cactuar island, Rinoa and spam her Angelo Cannon limit break, it 100% hits every enemy

It talks about what is counted as a kill and how to track your kills, which were the questions being asked. Thank you for pointing out that my guide didn't mention good locations to farm. You mention a beach with three fishes but don't specifically say where that is, however, I would guess you are talking about the beach near Balamb. Also, your Death trick is not a fully viable option because your first access to Death magic doesn't come until you reach the sewers of Deling City. In the sewers, you can come across an enemy called a Creep, a black humanoid shadow, that carries Death magic BUT only if your average party level is over 30 as only Lv 30+ Creeps carry Death magic, killing a decent amount of enemies to get you high-enough to 'Draw' the magic. So definitely a good option for mid to late-game but not one for early. Spreading out the kills over the entire game also breaks up the monotony and allows you to work on other trophies. Despite it being a grind, this trophy comes naturally and doesn't require its own time and focus to be earned.

4 hours ago, JPageMartin36 said:

Silly question but where is the battle meter? I've got all its upgrades but don't know where it is.

For an exact answer, use the following from the FFVIII Remastered Guide:

You can find the reports in the following location:

• Open your Menu
  • Go to Tutorials
  • Go to Information
  • Go to Information (not a typo, you need to choose Information twice in a row)
  • There on the bottom will be Character and GF Report once you have earned them.

The Guide also informs you on how to earn each of the necessary components to track your player kills and your GF kills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

It talks about what is counted as a kill and how to track your kills, which were the questions being asked. Thank you for pointing out that my guide didn't mention good locations to farm. You mention a beach with three fishes but don't specifically say where that is, however, I would guess you are talking about the beach near Balamb. Also, your Death trick is not a fully viable option because your first access to Death magic doesn't come until you reach the sewers of Deling City. In the sewers, you can come across an enemy called a Creep, a black humanoid shadow, that carries Death magic BUT only if your average party level is over 30 as only Lv 30+ Creeps carry Death magic, killing a decent amount of enemies to get you high-enough to 'Draw' the magic. So definitely a good option for mid to late-game but not one for early. Spreading out the kills over the entire game also breaks up the monotony and allows you to work on other trophies. Despite it being a grind, this trophy comes naturally and doesn't require its own time and focus to be earned.

Will try to get a screenshot up tomoz.

No, the one near Balamb has 2 fishes always, there is one near Tonberry Ruins that has 3 fish always, 4 extra fish every minute ;)

You can get Death from Chefs Knife, which you get about 10 anyway naturally while going for Tonberry GF.

Ive just been through the game naturally fighting and only got 200 kills. I though keeping encounters would be better/faster, but feels it wastes time to be honest.

You dont draw to begin with, you mod cards, well to really begin you get fish fin items from fish on Balamb beach and convert to water and get Str+20% and 40% from Ifrit. Then after Dollet get 100 Curagas, put on HP, but when need to draw, put on Mag. You can use Curage to keep Squall in limit break and just spam it, early game is simple as enemies well dont hit hard until later.

The fish farm x 3 near tonberry ruins, you can do when BG goes airborne, so I think best to do few hundred then to raise level, raise GF, and do rest later. 

That breaks it up slightly and I think everyone will need to farm at some point

Edited by Optinooby

54 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Will try to get a screenshot up tomoz.

No, the one near Balamb has 2 fishes always, there is one near Tonberry Ruins that has 3 fish always, 4 extra fish every minute ;)

You can get Death from Chefs Knife, which you get about 10 anyway naturally while going for Tonberry GF.

Ive just been through the game naturally fighting and only got 200 kills. I though keeping encounters would be better/faster, but feels it wastes time to be honest.

You dont draw to begin with, you mod cards, well to really begin you get fish fin items from fish on Balamb beach and convert to water and get Str+20% and 40% from Ifrit. Then after Dollet get 100 Curagas, put on HP, but when need to draw, put on Mag.

The fish farm x 3 near tonberry ruins, you can do when BG goes airborne, so I think best to do few hundred then to raise level, raise GF, and do rest later. 

That breaks it up slightly and I think everyone will need to farm at some point

Ok, thanks for the beach update, I will look into it once it is confirmed of the beach's location. Also, Chef's Knives come from Tonberries which occur even later in the game then the Deling City sewers, making it even more impractical for an early game option but a helpful addition for later in the game though. 200 kills naturally seems low for playing through the game while working on trophies, doing side-quests. I have tested this game several times over the past month to provide the best guide and have used a few friends to help, two of them having never played FFVIII before and every run kills were around 800 when reaching the Point of No Return. If you only had 200, you probably hadn't done your side quests, grinded for the necessary trophies, or possibly used the 3X boost to move through the game quicker, or even had the ENC-HALF ability on or the game booster of no encounters used because 200 kills for everything you have to do is extremely low. You will earn roughly 50-60 alone going down to Ultima Weapon with its increase encounter rate. It doesn't matter when you 'Draw'. Doing it early versus later makes no difference. The point I was making about drawing was that you need it for the Death magic that you POSSIBLY have access to while in the sewers of Deling City. Yes, you can go the Card mod route but you have to know the game well enough to know which cards you need and what abilities you need from the GFs but if the beach you are talking about is different from the Balamb beach then it changes everything as you will have most of the required pieces to pull off the multiple steps in your plan to perform the Death trick on the beach. A few hundred grind mid to late game seems highly unnecessary as you shouldn't ever really have to grind more than a hundred or two specifically for the trophy as by the time you do everything but beat the game, you honestly shouldn't need that much more. However, each to their own and there is definitely more than one way to play FFVIII. Thank you for the advice and tip, I will look into working it into the guide.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

7 hours ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Ok, thanks for the beach update, I will look into it once it is confirmed of the beach's location. Also, Chef's Knives come from Tonberries which occur even later in the game then the Deling City sewers, making it even more impractical for an early game option but a helpful addition for later in the game though. 200 kills naturally seems low for playing through the game while working on trophies, doing side-quests. I have tested this game several times over the past month to provide the best guide and have used a few friends to help, two of them having never played FFVIII before and every run kills were around 800 when reaching the Point of No Return. If you only had 200, you probably hadn't done your side quests, grinded for the necessary trophies, or possibly used the 3X boost to move through the game quicker, or even had the ENC-HALF ability on or the game booster of no encounters used because 200 kills for everything you have to do is extremely low. You will earn roughly 50-60 alone going down to Ultima Weapon with its increase encounter rate. It doesn't matter when you 'Draw'. Doing it early versus later makes no difference. The point I was making about drawing was that you need it for the Death magic that you POSSIBLY have access to while in the sewers of Deling City. Yes, you can go the Card mod route but you have to know the game well enough to know which cards you need and what abilities you need from the GFs but if the beach you are talking about is different from the Balamb beach then it changes everything as you will have most of the required pieces to pull off the multiple steps in your plan to perform the Death trick on the beach. A few hundred grind mid to late game seems highly unnecessary as you shouldn't ever really have to grind more than a hundred or two specifically for the trophy as by the time you do everything but beat the game, you honestly shouldn't need that much more. However, each to their own and there is definitely more than one way to play FFVIII. Thank you for the advice and tip, I will look into working it into the guide.

I had 3 x boost on, but encounters were fully available, wasnt using anything for them.

I also did EVERYTHING except for Ultima as he isnt needed for trophies. 

I did do everything in 08:45 with only 400 kills left for platinum.

Did you know that the more kills you have, the more difficult Tonberry King is??

Thanks for taking chance to reply, I will try to get a screenshot up of that beach.

2 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I had 3 x boost on, but encounters were fully available, wasnt using anything for them.

I also did EVERYTHING except for Ultima as he isnt needed for trophies. 

I did do everything in 08:45 with only 400 kills left for platinum.

Did you know that the more kills you have, the more difficult Tonberry King is??

Thanks for taking chance to reply, I will try to get a screenshot up of that beach.

The 3X boost sped you through the game and probably lowered your encounters and threw off your natural kill progression. Correct Ultima is NOT needed but it is your first opportunity to get Eden, so agreed not a must to go through that stage but highly recommended so you get the GF early, test yourself on Ultima as a trial run for Omega, start learning Eden's abilities, and lower your risk of missing Eden from Tiamat in Ultimecia's Castle. 400 kills left for Platinum was less then what you initially said, so glad your grind wasn't too bad. Tonberry King isn't that difficult even with a ton of kills and your first chance to get the GF, my guess is you would be around the 600 kill mark, maybe 700, but likely not. Of course, I haven't thought to test this so it is just an experienced guess.

3 hours ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

The 3X boost sped you through the game and probably lowered your encounters and threw off your natural kill progression. Correct Ultima is NOT needed but it is your first opportunity to get Eden, so agreed not a must to go through that stage but highly recommended so you get the GF early, test yourself on Ultima as a trial run for Omega, start learning Eden's abilities, and lower your risk of missing Eden from Tiamat in Ultimecia's Castle. 400 kills left for Platinum was less then what you initially said, so glad your grind wasn't too bad. Tonberry King isn't that difficult even with a ton of kills and your first chance to get the GF, my guess is you would be around the 600 kill mark, maybe 700, but likely not. Of course, I haven't thought to test this so it is just an experienced guess.

Thing with 3 x boost is it doesn't really reduce encounters does it. Even with playing naturally though, one may opt to stay on the roads and train tracks where they can which would also remove encounters.

I was 600 after I had finished experimenting with grinding spots, I was just over 200 when I began grinding experimentation :D!

What I read about Ultima is that it seems like a bit of a nuisance getting to it which is why I ignore it. Plus Eden doesn't really have anything of any value which cant wait. Maybe I may go for Ultima one day down the road, never say never eh ;).

Good work on your guide btw, it's a shame it's somehow gotten to 3/5 rating. Each guide created takes a lot of time and effort and is done free of charge by the author. I know not every guide will be for everyone, but would be nice if people considered the work put in! Of course though, everyone is untitled to their own opinion, and sometimes the work put in isnt enough I guess!

Anyway, im playing today, so I will try and get a image of that farm location and let you know in case you want to add it!

41 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Thing with 3 x boost is it doesn't really reduce encounters does it. Even with playing naturally though, one may opt to stay on the roads and train tracks where they can which would also remove encounters.

I was 600 after I had finished experimenting with grinding spots, I was just over 200 when I began grinding experimentation :D!

What I read about Ultima is that it seems like a bit of a nuisance getting to it which is why I ignore it. Plus Eden doesn't really have anything of any value which cant wait. Maybe I may go for Ultima one day down the road, never say never eh ;).

Good work on your guide btw, it's a shame it's somehow gotten to 3/5 rating. Each guide created takes a lot of time and effort and is done free of charge by the author. I know not every guide will be for everyone, but would be nice if people considered the work put in! Of course though, everyone is untitled to their own opinion, and sometimes the work put in isnt enough I guess!

Anyway, im playing today, so I will try and get a image of that farm location and let you know in case you want to add it!

3X boost moves the game faster except for the game clock. Encounter rate uses the game clock as one of the factors to determine when battles occur. Yes, you could opt to stay on the roads and tracks but most people wouldn't stay on them specifically. A lot of side-quests are not located on them and running in a straight line from place to place is the general occurrence. So while plausible, not likely and thus, most people won't just have 200 kills when they reach the end. Ultima is not a nuisance at all, it has a few levels of battles and yes to open a path down can be tricky if you do not know what option to chose but that is what the trophy guide is for as it specifically tells you what to do to get to the weapon. I got some flax in the beginning because I didn't mention Odin and some other complaints about how best to play the game, with the biggest being my non-support of a low-level game. You can't really have a low-level game and get 1000 kills on the same playthrough. I don't talk about Odin because he is not a trophy NOR is he necessary to get any other trophy, so the guide got dinged. I would have thought more would have voted for it (especially with many user favorites it has) but is what it is. FFVIII is a complicated game, it is hard to write a trophy game for it because it has at least 4 different ways to play, which mean it almost needs four different trophy guides. It is what it is, but I just hope FFT comes to the PS4 or 5 because it is an amazing game and I will crush that trophy guide. The big key is to know the game intimately and fully. FFVIII is my second least-favorite and as such, only beaten it a couple of times, once recently and the other about 12-13 years ago. I have replayed it several times now to work on the guide but never go after Ultimecia.

• 2 months later...

Not seen anybody mention it but the Fire Cavern is viable.  Enemies there don’t scale to character level, so always stay the same as at the start of the game.  They can spawn in groups of four like cactaurs and they don’t run away.  You can even access it on disc 4 once you’ve retrieved the Ragnarok.

• 10 months later...
On ‎09‎.‎10‎.‎2019 at 0:04 PM, Optinooby said:

Good work on your guide btw, it's a shame it's somehow gotten to 3/5 rating.

On ‎09‎.‎10‎.‎2019 at 1:06 PM, Matrim_Drasgen said:

The guide is not really that good that's why. 3/5 is being generous when you consider all the wrong info that is inside that guide.

It is convoluted and has a lot of mistakes in it.

Edited by Lordidude

• 7 months later...

Cactuars Island -----> Irvine with decent ATT/Accuracy + Initiative + Scatter Shot + Time boost cheat + Call Shop ability to refill ammo.

Not much else is needed. It took me few hours with this method.

Edited by DeathNyx

• 5 months later...

Since noone has mentioned it, the 1000 kills trophy can be automated with SciTE4Autohotkey/Remote Play PC. Go to Cactuar Island, remove all abilities except attack, activate the script and hold the left thumbstick in the left direction. It has to be left, up and down will make you attack yourself and right activates the limit breaker.

Edited by VanDeaM

• 9 months later...
On 5.12.2021 at 3:20 PM, VanDeaM said:

Since noone has mentioned it, the 1000 kills trophy can be automated with SciTE4Autohotkey/Remote Play PC. Go to Cactuar Island, remove all abilities except attack, activate the script and hold the left thumbstick in the left direction. It has to be left, up and down will make you attack yourself and right activates the limit breaker.

Also make sure to junction high STR stats, Water to EL-ATK and activate the "Initiative" ability to have first strike.

This will also help your party not to get killed by 1000 needles.

• 2 months later...

•If you have a turbo controller:

go to cactaur island

park ragnarok in center or edge of the island 

Have L3 and R3 active

turbo X

rubberband the sticks —> <—

you can let it run overnight 

you’ll get 1000 kills and top seed

GFs dont count towards kills.

turning enemies to cards doesn’t count towards kills (so don’t use it vs Tonberry for that GF)

•If you don’t have a turbo, still run around here. They’re all one shot kills.

save this trophy for last since you’ll max out all GF skills.

• 9 months later...
On 11/30/2022 at 12:54 AM, Juzam666 said:

•If you have a turbo controller:

go to cactaur island

park ragnarok in center or edge of the island 

Have L3 and R3 active

turbo X

rubberband the sticks —> <—

you can let it run overnight 

you’ll get 1000 kills and top seed

GFs dont count towards kills.

turning enemies to cards doesn’t count towards kills (so don’t use it vs Tonberry for that GF)

•If you don’t have a turbo, still run around here. They’re all one shot kills.

save this trophy for last since you’ll max out all GF skills.

GF kills and card conversion do count as kills.