Would you have preferred the old FF VIII Achievements on Steam instead?

Basically, VIII was first re released back in what 2013 on Steam with it's own Achievements (PS3 version didn't have trophies). But with the remaster, some trophies got removed. The ones that were removed include

Kill 10000 enemies

Learn all of Quistis' Blue Magic Skills

Collect all TT cards

Beat the game with Squall at his default level

Collect all books (This one refers to the non Timber Maniacs books)

Learn all of Angelo's moves

Reach Max Gil

Reach level 100

So seeing how some folks here think the current trophies are too easy, would you personally been ok with these ones that would require a lot more time and investment in the game? For me, i can handle all except the 10000 enemy kill one because that feels like pointless padding and could easily been replaced with something else like obtain every Ultimate weapon or level a GF to 100.

Edited by HeroFangGhetz
  • Like 1

10k enemies would be a painful grind. Even 1000 is still a grind compared to other FF games where you don't have a way to turn off encounters very early in the game.

The "Squall is still level 7" would have been nice, but it seems like unlike the original Steam PC version, the PS4 version can't (or won't) disable achievements if you use cheats - making it pointless since 90% of the challenge would be gone with the built-in Enc-None cheat.

Max Gil is also a massive grind. I didn't bother to go for that on the Steam version.

The others are all ok, getting to 100 is a bit of a slog unless you grind on the two islands with a good setup.

Overall I do find the PS4 achievements a tad easy in comparison - there's nothing really hard other than some missable magazines. I also thought the card quest achievement was for the Queen of Cards, not the Balamb Card Club (which is way easier), I was surprised when I got it. The other annoying one is Top Seed Rank, since that means I have to level up a bit more before end game to be able to do the rest of the tests to get to 31/A rank.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would already be ok with the PS4 list if using cheats disabled trophies.

From the Steam version, I consider the 10k kills, reach max. gil and keeping Squall at initial level achievements to be pointless, the rest could have made the PS4 list much better. If I was forced to choose I'd prefer the Steam list, at least it would be more challenging.

I was really excited for this list as I feel like it's what trophies were made for, making you play through the game in a way that breaks the norm instead of going through the motions etc. 

I know a lot of people would disagree because of the 10K, all TT Cards and the LV1 Run are a bit ridiculous but I was looking forward to the challenge.

I'll admit the Steam list is a bit extreme, but what we got on PS4 was way too light... They could've made a nice in-between list, but the PS4's just seems so... lazy. ? I mean, out of the list posted in the OP, I've already done a lot of it, they could've at least left the more easy ones in there. <_<

• Kill 10000 enemies

This one definitely would've been tedious, I'm close to the end of the game & I just got to 1K kills, so I don't think I would've been looking forward to that. ?

• Learn all of Quistis' Blue Magic Skills

I think I'm only missing 2 of these, could've been gotten easily enough by now if I paid attention to it.

• Collect all TT cards

Only missing a few cards now, I plan on getting to 100%.

• Beat the game with Squall at his default level

I probably would've did a second playthrough for this, going through the entire game with a dead ally in my party the entire time would really take the fun out of it. ?

• Reach Max Gil

I'm over 1M right now, so I'm guessing the max is either 10M or 100M? Either way, you'd most likely get it just from farming those 10K kills. ?

• Collect all books (This one refers to the non Timber Maniacs books)
  • Learn all of Angelo's moves
  • Reach level 100

Already done.

• Like 1

I would have liked some of those removed trophies in there. The list for this version is far too easy. It's a 2 out of 10 difficulty at best.

Would have liked to have seen the collect all cards have been kept in as I always enjoyed doing that in the PS1 days. Don't really know why the all Quistis limit breaks was removed because it was pretty easy to do. Completing the game with Squall at level 7 would have been fun but all the challenge of it would have been removed with the boosters as mentioned above.

I think they went from one extreme to the other with FFIX having a trophy list that was.... I try not to think of the jump rope horror.

And decided to not make that mistake again, but instead made the trophies mad easy.

++I would have liked to see mainly Shumi Village side quest and all other side quests left out. 

++Defeat Ifrit with less than 30 seconds(I do it anyway everytime, so why not? It's a fun easter egg on them getting the original programming wrong)

++Reach lvl 100(still very easy)

++"Kill" XATM092(This would have been a fun one to go to the dollet mission prepared for this)(plus who doesn't want to get all that AP so early!)

++Collect all cards(can be challenging)

++Angelo Moves

But I have NO complaint that there's no kill 10k, or any kind of jump rope BS trophy.

So I think they intentionally played it safe based on the FFIX trophy reception. But went too far to the easier extreme.

Just imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masamune said:
  • Beat the game with Squall at his default level

I probably would've did a second playthrough for this, going through the entire game with a dead ally in my party the entire time would really take the fun out of it. 1f605.png

You definitely don't need to do this - you just have to prepare in advance - get Card ability ASAP, Card/run from every random encounter until Enc-None is learned (easiest is to Card the fish on the Balamb beach for a bit), keep a stock of Break for forced encounters (winning by Card or petrify gives 0 XP). Play a heap of Triple Triad (which I do anyway) to get some cards to Card Mod.

Honestly, hardest part is that you have to save a lot in case you accidently kill an enemy or damage them before casting Break and get unwanted XP.

• Like 1

Collect all TT should have been included. It's a fun challenge, and it's cool to collect them all. I also wouldn't have mind the default level trophy. I felt like this would have made the plat rarer and would force me to play this game a different way which would've been great to be rewarded for it.

I'm really really glad they left out 10,000 kills though. It's just a pointless grind which initially put me off on getting the platinum for FFIX (that and the jump rope).

I want to remind people though that you can still do all these things; you just won't be rewarded for it :P

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

At default level? Not that one. Not due to difficulty (I understand it isn't hard) but just because it wouldn't be any fun and so would require me to do an extra playthrough if I also wanted to experience it properly. Given the time investment and how boring i'd find it...

Edited by thefourfoldroot

No - because this is an enjoyable piece of nostalgia with the easier trophy list and I’d like to save the grind time for brand new games such as Borderlands 3 next week! I’m really enjoying FFVIII again but I wouldn’t want to spend hundreds of hours on it when it’s not a complete remaster of all assets (like FFVII remaster) and there’s plenty of new games coming out in the next month.

If 10k kills was taken out i would've preferred it yeah. Not on board with 3x speed disabling trophies but if the other two you had to go into the menu to access and they disabled trophies like some of IX's did that'd be fine also. But eh its one of the easiest games of all time so a quick and easy trophy list is fitting really.

I would have enjoyed the collection related trophies very much. When I played this long ago I remember getting almost everything; in any rpg, the biggest fun I always have is getting my hands on everything. I love the card game too, so of course I'm going for all cards.

But is it just me man, or is this the one FF game that has the most content that can be missed? xD

The default level trophy would have been a nice challenge, but I would definitely do a second playthrough for this as it would prevent me from enjoying the game fully. :/ As for the grinding stuff, meh...make it proportional to game content at least. Like if you do everything in the game, never skip any fights and at then end when you're absolutely done everything but you still need 7000 kills...fuuuuuuuuuuu

Edited by TerminusCross

7 hours ago, HeroFangGhetz said:
  1. Kill 10000 enemies
  2. Learn all of Quistis' Blue Magic Skills
  3. Collect all TT cards
  4. Beat the game with Squall at his default level
  5. Collect all books (This one refers to the non Timber Maniacs books)
  6. Learn all of Angelo's moves
  7. Reach Max Gil
  8. Reach level 100

No for 1, 4 and 7. :P

Anyway, did they add cheats for this version too? And do the cheats disable trophies? These FF plats are awful when they allow cheats.

Edited by MMDE

7 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Defeat Ifrit with less than 30 seconds(I do it anyway everytime, so why not? It's a fun easter egg on them getting the original programming wrong)

++"Kill" XATM092(This would have been a fun one to go to the dollet mission prepared for this)(plus who doesn't want to get all that AP so early!)

Same here, you get a better SeeD score that way. I actually defeated him exactly at 00:00, at first I thought I failed & had to redo it. ?

Again, I did that as well. xD Multiple times in fact, so I could get the drop I wanted (Power Wrist). :P  You need to have Quezacotl beefed up pretty good (which is easy by fighting those fish on the beach), but it's very doable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PancakeTrans said:

You definitely don't need to do this - you just have to prepare in advance - get Card ability ASAP, Card/run from every random encounter until Enc-None is learned (easiest is to Card the fish on the Balamb beach for a bit), keep a stock of Break for forced encounters (winning by Card or petrify gives 0 XP). Play a heap of Triple Triad (which I do anyway) to get some cards to Card Mod.

Honestly, hardest part is that you have to save a lot in case you accidently kill an enemy or damage them before casting Break and get unwanted XP.

You can also just leave squall dead for all non-boss encounters