Would you have preferred the old FF VIII Achievements on Steam instead?

Yes, absolutely. I would also rather have cheats disable trophies. This way, I have no doubt that this FF will be the one on PS4 with the highest completion percentage.

We often discuss (at least lately) that at least "finishing a game" should be necessary for a platinum trophy, but I disagree. In my opinion, a platinum should include much more than that. Extra challenges, extra ways of playing the game.

The 100% speedrun category for FFVIII asks that you get one of every TT card, one of every item, every character should have their ultima weapon and all their limit breaks learned, all GFs should have learned all of their abilities, etc... Those are all things that I think could / should have been included in the trophy list. 

I will still play and enjoy this game regardless of the easy list, don't get me wrong :)

Edited by Arcesius

The max gil is actually not as difficult as it seems, FFVIII is the only FF I know of to be able to make gil by buying and selling at a higher price thanks to the Tonberry GF. 

I don't remember the specific way to do it exactly off the top of my head, but at end game gil is never an issue unlike during the rest of the game.

Boring to max out, but not difficult. And I dont think many did besides myself in the past because there's 0 reason to have so much gil.

But if you don't look it up or remember how, then it's ridiculous to have the trophy. I think thats why it was in the steam version.

Though I still think it was good to leave it out on ps4 for 99% of players, but it is fun that its the only FF I know of that you can get gil by buying low then converting the item and selling very high very quickly. And without leaving the menu!

Edited by Dav9834

23 hours ago, PancakeTrans said:

You definitely don't need to do this - you just have to prepare in advance - get Card ability ASAP, Card/run from every random encounter until Enc-None is learned (easiest is to Card the fish on the Balamb beach for a bit), keep a stock of Break for forced encounters (winning by Card or petrify gives 0 XP). Play a heap of Triple Triad (which I do anyway) to get some cards to Card Mod.

Honestly, hardest part is that you have to save a lot in case you accidently kill an enemy or damage them before casting Break and get unwanted XP.

This. People have this misconception that you need to go through extremes and make the game harder when in reality it is much easier this way. It does take a bit of initial preparation, though.

I'd say that you don't even need to grind AP on the beach since you can do that with Seifer in the first mission. There you can level up the starting GFs and get free AP.

After that you can Junction and unjunction Curagas to HP so that you put yourself in yellow HP to spam Limit Breaks. Play some Triple Triad, card mod for some Meltdowns and Breaks (for the required battles against humans) stuff and you are free to destroy everything.

Shit like 10k kills, level 100, max gald, those can go to hell since it's pointless padding for sure.

Getting all the cards I feel should have been a trophy, though.

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

The max gil is actually not as difficult as it seems, FFVIII is the only FF I know of to be able to make gil by buying and selling at a higher price thanks to the Tonberry GF. 

I don't remember the specific way to do it exactly off the top of my head, but at end game gil is never an issue unlike during the rest of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=206922044

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Yup this thank you

Though I don't think imo it's an exploit as they say in the guide, I think the devs put it in knowingly since gil is "relatively" useless.

And ya the amount of time needed sounds about right to max gil.

Not bad, but boring.

Unlike 10k kills which.... Jeez, For a game where you can beat it without having to have a single fight outside forced ones(if done right), 10k is insane.

10k kills hopefully never shows up in another FF trophy list again, and I'm thankful they took it out for PS4

On 9/8/2019 at 2:22 AM, HeroFangGhetz said:

Learn all of Quistis' Blue Magic Skills

Collect all TT cards

Beat the game with Squall at his default level

Collect all books (This one refers to the non Timber Maniacs books)

Learn all of Angelo's moves

These would be the only ones that would be interesting to have there.

Just  farming gold, kills and grinding endlessly for leveling up to max would be a huge pain in the ass. I don't find those types of things to be much of an achievement since all it requires is you to have patience to go out of your way for some b/s that adds nothing. But learning all abilities for a character, collecting all x, even beating the game at default level (a challenge) are interesting and you have to do something.

The kill a billion enemies trophies are as lame as the "kill ONE enemy!" trophies. They are no different in practice, one is just more stupid since you often beat the game and get 100% before you even get the number they randomly chose. So you're stuck playing the game more just to do it... it's not as bad in a game with NG+ but you shouldn't feel forced to go through again just to farm kills or something. It's just not interesting or fun to do.

Edited by Elvick_

• 1 year later...
On ‎08‎.‎09‎.‎2019 at 11:22 AM, HeroFangGhetz said:

Basically, VIII was first re released back in what 2013 on Steam with it's own Achievements (PS3 version didn't have trophies). But with the remaster, some trophies got removed. The ones that were removed include

Kill 10000 enemies

Learn all of Quistis' Blue Magic Skills

Collect all TT cards

Beat the game with Squall at his default level

Collect all books (This one refers to the non Timber Maniacs books)

Learn all of Angelo's moves

Reach Max Gil

Reach level 100

So seeing how some folks here think the current trophies are too easy, would you personally been ok with these ones that would require a lot more time and investment in the game? For me, i can handle all except the 10000 enemy kill one because that feels like pointless padding and could easily been replaced with something else like obtain every Ultimate weapon or level a GF to 100.

I would prefer the Steam list tbh.

10000 kills would be grindy but not too bad. You could do that probably within 12 hours when grinding cactuars.

Beat the game at Squall's default level would be a great trophy but only if you were now allowed to use cheats. Otherwise it's really pointless.

Max Gil ist the next grindfest but also not too bad.

The rest is pretty easy.