How does multiplayer in MHW work?

Dreakon13

Kinda considering picking this up with Iceborne coming out.  People I've asked about the multiplayer said don't bother with it, just play solo... then eluded to the multiplayer really just being requesting help and responding to requests for help (which to me sounds like "multiplayer" in the Souls games) and even then you're limited to where and when you can do it, not necessarily matchmaking or anything really encouraging heavy multiplayer play.  Yet I was always under the impression it was a pretty multiplayer centric game.

How exactly does the multiplayer work?  Is solo preferable?  Is there matchmaking, is it easy to find people to play with if I did want to play coop?  I don't really know anyone with the game so it'd be solo or random's for me... so maybe MHW isn't a good fit?

Edited by Dreakon13

MP is a little more difficult than it needs to be, but it is way better in Iceborne.

Basically, there are a few ways of doing it. If you are in a party, then you will join the same instance. (Each instance has about 16 people in it). Then, someone will post a quest, and you will open the quest log and request to join it. It loads, the poster will hit depart, and off you go.

You can help randoms by responding to an SOS flare. They are in their hunt, send off this flare, you can do a search for all the people who have sent these flares and can join them to help them out.

In the base game, the main hub is split into two sections. One with all the vendors and one where you can see the other players. This is what they are referring to when saying it is a pain, because you can't interact with most of the vendors while in the player hub. Not a HUGE deal imo, but annoying nontheless. This is fixed in Iceborne, with the player hub having all the vendors available.

Everything is soloable. MP increases difficulty of the hunt. Most people are really nice, haven't met anyone toxic while I played (~340 hours), though I usually played by myself or friends.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

In the base game, the main hub is split into two sections. One with all the vendors and one where you can see the other players.

You can see other players in your party, or other random players to potentially play with?

It sounds like responding to (or sending) SOS is really the only form of playing with others if you don't already have a party together.  Is that correct?  Not that it's a bad thing, it is what it is... just making sure I have it right.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You can see other players in your party, or other random players to potentially play with?

You can see whoever is in the instance that is in the hub.

It sounds like responding to (or sending) SOS is really the only form of playing with others if you don't already have a party together.  Is that correct?  Not that it's a bad thing, it is what it is... just making sure I have it right.

So when you are in your instance, you can join anyone who has "posted" a quest, as long as they have the number of players higher than 1. (If you wanted to play by yourself, you can set the # of players to 1 and only you will be on it). You aren't in a party in the game, more like you are instanced together. Once you join the quest, you will see the other players in the HUD.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

You can see whoever is in the instance that is in the hub.

So when you are in your instance, you can join anyone who has "posted" a quest, as long as they have the number of players higher than 1. (If you wanted to play by yourself, you can set the # of players to 1 and only you will be on it). You aren't in a party in the game, more like you are instanced together. Once you join the quest, you will see the other players in the HUD.

Gotcha... so the hub is an instance of up to 16 players.  If you're playing with friends (ie. on a PSN party), they'll be a part of the 16.  Any one of those 16 players may "post" a quest with a number of players set to > 1 and I could join them... or I could post a quest and they may join me (or I'd set it to 1 and go it alone).

Is the SOS unrelated to that, just specific to helping with a quest in process outside of the instance?

Edited by Dreakon13

Is the SOS unrelated to that, just specific to helping with a quest in process?

Yes, this is separate. You can only SOS after you start a quest and anyone that is searching for SOS's can join it.

The posted quests (from that menu) can only be joined from people within that instance.

Little clarification on the Hub, the hub is one specific place in the main "non-fighting" area (think city in MMOs). The other people in the stance may or may not be in the Hub. Sorry, it's a little confusing but makes more sense when in the game lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

Yes, this is separate. You can only SOS after you start a quest and anyone that is searching for SOS's can join it.

The posted quests (from that menu) can only be joined from people within that instance.

Little clarification on the Hub, the hub is one specific place in the main "non-fighting" area (think city in MMOs). The other people in the stance may or may not be in the Hub. Sorry, it's a little confusing but makes more sense when in the game lol.

First, I appreciate all the info.  Thank you.  I feel like I'm starting to understand it. ;)

Let me know if I have it.  Basically when I log in, I start in a hub and I'm kind of attached to the other people in this instance.  They (or I) could post a quest and anyone of those 16 not currently in a quest are free to join, and we'd do the whole quest together.

If they're having trouble mid-quest and want help, they send an SOS that only the other 16 players can see.

Can I change instances freely, if I don't like the 16 players that I get initially or if they're all busy / soloing?

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

want help they send an SOS that only the other 16 players can see.

This is incorrect. Anyone currently searching SOS's regardless of instance, can find the SOS. But the rest of it is spot on.

Changing instances is a bit of a pain, since you need to log out and then log back in. There isn't an easy way of changing. The biggest issue with instances is people leaving their mic on, but it's pretty easy to mute them and just continue lol.

No problem! MHW is an incredible game and the more people who enjoy it the better! Haha :D

• Like 1

You'll definitely get your money's worth on this game, easy 300-500 for platinum.. plus that again for iceborne. 

You can pretty much solo everything if you want to, but doing SOS I find it to be much much easier because you can hang back and heal while others are distracting, plus I find going in with 4 opposed to 2, everything dies much quicker.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Squirlruler said:

Changing instances is a bit of a pain, since you need to log out and then log back in. There isn't an easy way of changing. 

I know I'm late to this but this isn't true: you can switch instances - called "Online Sessions" in the Quest Board. Just click on Online Session and then Matchmake to get matched to another Session or search for one there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:59 AM, Sicho said:

I know I'm late to this but this isn't true: you can switch instances - called "Online Sessions" in the Quest Board. Just click on Online Session and then Matchmake to get matched to another Session or search for one there.

So in order to get the trophy I (ME) must create my own online session? THEN fire the SOS? I feel like I've fired at least 50 SOS flares lol I hope it's all been for nothing