I Need To Scratch A Very Bad RPG Itch

MrTacoNinja

I find that when I go a while without an RPG I start to fiend like a crackhead for one. I'm desperately looking for something along the same lines as Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Diablo 3, Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma. One of the problems I'm running into is how picky I am. I don't want anything that has:

-Online multiplayer based trophies.
-Tedious, infuriating gameplay (DarkSouls/DemonSouls, etc.).
-Ridiculous, unreasonable trophy requirements.
-First-person camera view.
-Any of that 8-bit side scrolling garbage.
-JRPG's.

So, yeah. As you can see: extremely picky. Torchlight 2 looks right up my alley but I guess there are some glitched trophies at the moment. I wont be buying that until I know a patch is out and all trophies unlock when they should. Until then I have no idea what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions, anything that fits my picky criteria?

The Witcher 3 sounds like it would be up your alley. Tons of content and lots of stuff to do and the expansions are fantastic. I assume by tedious or infuriating gameplay you mean more on the combat side so I'll just say that The Witcher 3's combat is kind of samey there's also some more depth to it. Like for certain monsters you will need to apply certain oils or bring certain potions before fighting them.

• Like 2

Any of the Dragon Age games might suit you, however, I do think most people would find the extremely dated combat of Origins kind of annoying.

Also, some games in my list have missables that require some sort of keeping track of, but I don't know if you're the type that would consider it unreasonable/ridiculous. :dunno: 

With all that said, here's a list I think might be ok?

Dragon Age: Origins (seriously dated combat but best of the 3 games in my opinion)

Dragon Age II (smaller and more fluid. Generally regarded as the least favorite due to just about everything)

Dragon Age: Inquisition (the most fun of the 3 but it does have some technical issues.)

Assassin's Creed Origins (yeah this is actually a good game and nothing particularly annoying except having to do the whole map.)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (same as above but less annoying with more fine tuned combat mechanics)

Horizon Zero Dawn (although I wasn't the biggest fan of the game)

Rogue Galaxy (ps2 to ps4 game)

Wild Arms 3 (same as above. turn based combat)

Risen 2 and Risen 3 - both are very bad games for the PS3 and PS4 respectively but you've got Arcania and The Cursed Crusade done so these shouldn't bother you lmfao. (I know the pain of the games which is why I laugh at the end. ?)

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I've researched heavily over the years Risen 2 and 3, Horizon, Witcher and all the Dragon Age games but they sound sooo tedious and frustrating, especially all that "romance" garbage. Arcania and The Cursed Crusade, lol! Yeah, fucking terrible. Absolutely terrible. To top it off, I platinumed every single available version. The horror!!! ?

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I've researched heavily over the years Risen 2 and 3, Horizon, Witcher and all the Dragon Age games but they sound sooo tedious and frustrating, especially all that "romance" garbage. Arcania and The Cursed Crusade, lol! Yeah, fucking terrible. Absolutely terrible. To top it off, I platinumed every single available version. The horror!!! 1f61d.png

Risen 2 is far more tedious than Risen 3. The kills trophy is very stressful lol. I actually enjoyed Risen 3 very much until I got a game breaking glitch multiple times in a row. I haven't seen anyone else get it though so you'd be ok probably.

I think the 2 Assassin Creed games I listed will depend on how quickly you get bored. Origins needing the while map discovered killed a lot of people but I like that kind of "boring". Odyssey doesn't require it but it's so massive. The gameplay in both games is fluid and enjoyable. 

I don't think I could deal with Arcania and Cursed Crusade one more time let alone multiple times lmfao.

14 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I've researched heavily over the years Risen 2 and 3, Horizon, Witcher and all the Dragon Age games but they sound sooo tedious and frustrating, especially all that "romance" garbage. Arcania and The Cursed Crusade, lol! Yeah, fucking terrible. Absolutely terrible. To top it off, I platinumed every single available version. The horror!!! 1f61d.png

Yeah, be warned, Witcher in some cases very boring in main story line, but DLC stuff really stands out. But unfortunately you have to complete base a game for a platinum. Also gameplay very easy, like in Death March with scaling enemies the real threat only enemies that naturally shouldn't be high level, like rats, and bosses witch instakill.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Insta-kill? Jesus. Now that sounds awful! For real? 

Early in the game there are some enemies that can kill you pretty quickly but it's not that bad as long as you learn their attacks. If there are enemies that do kill you in one hit it's because you tried to fight them while either underleveled or unprepared. The game does let you know what level a quest is and if the quest name is in red then that means you're better off not doing it and you can just go back to it later when you're a higher level and have better equipment.

Also for Death March you can choose to do it in NG+ which makes it a lot more manageable. The expansions also added new mechanics in that let you use more stat increasing items and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. So at this point Death March probably isn't too big a deal compared to when I did it and didn't have all those options. There are also a lot of builds that people have listed that you can use too.

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

There is no "archer" class, right? Unless I want to use that terrible crossbow?

No, no classes. Just certain builds you can use. This is what I went with when I did it but I'm sure by now there are far better builds.