Need some PS3 hdd upgrade advice

Romanus1

16 minutes ago, Romanus1 said:

Can I run PS3 games from an external hdd yes and no from searching online so I am a bit confused 

if if not I have a spare 2tb drive can I upgrade the internal drive with that the only guide I found only talked about upgrade ign up to 500gb

The answer is no. From my knowledge, the only way to run games from external would be if you used CFW.

You can change the internal HDD if it fits, I'm not sure but I think the maximum size is 1TB with 2TB being hit or miss (some reports they worked but others say they don't).

Just a reminder that if you plan on changing the HDD remember to sync your trophies and back up any save files you want to stay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugaSonic said:

The answer is no. From my knowledge, the only way to run games from external would be if you used CFW.

You can change the internal HDD if it fits, I'm not sure but I think the maximum size is 1TB with 2TB being hit or miss (some reports they worked but others say they don't).

Just a reminder that if you plan on changing the HDD remember to sync your trophies and back up any save files you want to stay.

Thanks for the advice I will upgrade the internal drive to a 1tb which are cheap now 

1 hour ago, Romanus1 said:

Thanks for the advice I will upgrade the internal drive to a 1tb which are cheap now 

PlayStation's website has official instructions for changing out the hard drive, which are pretty easy to follow. Changing out the HDD isn't hard. You'll need to download the latest system software from the website onto a USB stick first.

I upgraded my PS4's HDD to a 2tb drive, then put the 1tb drive that came with my PS4 into my PS3. If your spare 2tb drive will fit into your PS4, that might be an option and you wouldn't have to buy another drive.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Removed redundant language
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

PlayStation's website has official instructions for changing out the hard drive on their web site, which are pretty easy to follow. Changing out the HDD isn't hard. You'll need to download the latest system software from the website onto a USB stick first.

I upgraded my PS4's HDD to a 2tb drive, then put the 1tb drive that came with my PS4 into my PS3. If your spare 2tb drive will fit into your PS4, that might be an option and you wouldn't have to buy another drive.

I did this also and it worked out beautifully!

Make sure to find any internal 2.5” SATA HDD, which is normally the size that a laptop would take. A 1TB HDD seems to be the safest among of storage, others said that it can take 1.5TB. And no, you cannot use external HDD, unlike the PS4.

Here you have instructions how to install your new HDD to the PS3: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Upgrade-the-PS3-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD?language=en_US

Edited by MaxieM0us3

• 4 years later...
15 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

One of my PS3's hard drive is dead..
I'm currently shopping for a SSD, but have no clue exactly which is compatible with the PS3...

Yup, any SATA SSD will work. They’re all compatible. Your links are both options. (Also, you can delete anything from “ref=“ onwards from Amazon links since that’s just a bunch of tracking junk)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westersburg said:

Sata SSDs became quite cheap so i'd recommend them. NVME SSDs (no idea if even compatible) are probably wasted money since the ps3 doesn't even use the full sata ssd potential. Not such a big leap as it is on ps4.

NVME SSDs aren't going to be compatible and you're right. The PS3 can't even fully take advantage of everything SATA III offers (throughput wise), so it's wasted effort to even try with NVME. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2024 at 8:15 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

I think the 2TB's are physically too big as well, Like ghost said, I've also heard anything past 1TB is unstable. 

Specifically 2.5" HDDs (the kind the PS3 and PS4 use) only go up to 2TB

2TB, 4TB, even 8TB SSD's could fit but they would not function since the max limit is somewhere around 1.5TB