Why do people hate FFVIII?

linkdevivo

On 9/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, linkdevivo said:

It constantly gets looked as the black sheep of the series and is usually never up there with the rest of the good ones. My question is why? I'm about halfway in and I'm absolutely LOVING it. Every gameplay system is good and entertaining, including the card game which is very fun. Even the junction system is great once you get the hang of it. The Draw system is also really cool as you can constantly draw different attacks and summons from other enemies. Just got to the orphanage part and starting to get really invested in the story and the characters. So what's the catch? I've platinumed almost every final fantasy game and don't understand why this game isn't regarded as one of the best final fantasy games of all time by fans in general. It always seems to be a love it or hate it kind of game and I don't get it. Please no spoilers.

PS if you're interested, i documented my journey to platinum all mainline single player final fantasy games in a thread. you can read that here:

The black sheep, or should I say, black sheeps of the franchise are FF7: Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2 and the entire FF13 trilogy!

• Like 1

I personally don't like the draw system. Its really grind and penalize the player from using magic so the game becomes an autoattack fest. Compared to other games where you get stronger by progressing the story in VIII you get stronger by holding back until you draw 99 of a spell for X number of characters, I remember staying for hours before the first mission just to draw tons of magic, boring af, I know its not necessary but I did anyways and it pretty much killed the mood for the entire game because every time I came across a new spell I was like "I have to draw 99".

Plus none of the characters caught my attention, probably my least favorite main cast of any FF.

• Like 1

I see so many people here saying they hated how using magic was punished but did they forget that your primary offensive magic came in the form of the GFs? You basically have free unlimited summon magic, you didn't really need the rest outside of junctioning

I think you have to go back to 1999 to have more perspective. Final Fantasy VII was a blast, in so many ways, from gameplay to storywise, graphics, etc. People (like myself) were specting something like FFVII-2, but, instead, we got VIII. I love it, I think it's a good game, but was so different. For me, the most... dissapointing thing was the story itself, it was like a love story wich made no sense at all. Seifer could be a great character but I think it was wasted. And it was designed more "realistic", you can see all characters have a "normal height". hen they kinda go back and made IX, that it's closer to VII than VIII.

Well, it's my opinion. As I said, I loved every FF ame I played back in the day.

EDIT: For those who say that FFVII maybe it was their first Final Fantasy Game... Consider that FF VI was released ONLY in japan and america, so most of the european gamers couldn't get their hands into it.

Edited by breakXedge

21 minutes ago, Montyzu said:

I personally don't like the draw system. Its really grind and penalize the player from using magic so the game becomes an autoattack fest. Compared to other games where you get stronger by progressing the story in VIII you get stronger by holding back until you draw 99 of a spell for X number of characters, I remember staying for hours before the first mission just to draw tons of magic, boring af, I know its not necessary but I did anyways and it pretty much killed the mood for the entire game because every time I came across a new spell I was like "I have to draw 99".

Plus none of the characters caught my attention, probably my least favorite main cast of any FF.

You didn't have to draw every single spell, you could refine them from items by using GF's skills... you really needed to draw them probably during the first part.

16 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

You didn't have to draw every single spell, you could refine them from items by using GF's skills... you really needed to draw them probably during the first part.

I agree with you, but that's part of the problem.

Everything that made the junction system simple, or even flat-out broken was tied to specific abilities from GFs. It's really easy to master, but someone would need the knowledge to know what ability they need unlocked and an indicator that refinement exists in the first place. The game does a poor job at explaining how to get magic besides a draw point or from battle.

For instance, one of the simplest ways to break the game early was to refine Tents into Curaga and junction it to HP. The same is true for converting cards into spells or items.

This is coming from someone who loves the Junction system. It's flexible, but you need to do a lot of homework to understand all of the options.

I like FFVIII, though I don't love it (in my own completely rational and objectively correct FF ranking list, it comes in at...#8 among the mainline non-MMO console titles). But it tried new things.

My biggest personal issue was how unfinished it felt. The story really lacks any kind of polish. How do you survive what is likely the first attempt ever at physical time travel (and literal time COMPRESSSION)? Why...keep bonds between friends strong! I'm sure that's all that matters. ?

Further, events were mentioned, but never came up again, and whenever something needed to happen for plot purposes, it just...happened. Where do monsters come from? THE MOON! And apparently, there's a base up there, because...well, there is! Why did NORG fund Seed? And what happened to NORG after he hatched from his egg? Doesn't matter - it gives you a chance to go through a dungeon. Why does Ultimecia hate the letter "c"? Apparently, it looks cooler to write "Kurse all SeeD! Swarming like lokusts akross generations!" Are we supposed to assume that our party hears the difference between a hard "c" and a "k"?

I actually like battle, but I rarely use magic in FF games. However, some things were really annoying. Shockwave Pulsar took forever to get, and it was pretty worthless in the grand scheme. The game suggests that using GFs will erase memories, and given Laguna's impassioned speech before the time compression, you might think that there were multiple endings in the cards. But...nah. Use those GFs to your heart's content. 

Honestly, I sound down on the game, but that's only because of the gamefaqs fanboys who insist it is by far the greatest FF game (ha), with the greatest character designs (ha ha), the greatest battle system (ha ha ha), and even the greatest soundtrack (HA!!!). But as a game to play and exploit the craziness of, I love it. It's very refreshing to build unstoppable characters in the first moments of the game...sort of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I like FFVIII, though I don't love it (in my own completely rational and objectively correct FF ranking list, it comes in at...#8 among the mainline non-MMO console titles). But it tried new things.

give it to us! If we're going to judge you at least let us see the entire ranking lol

Hate it not really, dislike it yes. Idk what it was but alot of the FF titles released during the PS1 era I disliked with the exception of Tactics. But then again too when Sony use to do the travelling shows where you could test out game prototypes I played FFVII and FFVIII and just disliked them both some because there seemed at times a lack of direction in those early builds.

I kept replaying the SNES and handheld titles during that time. But came back to the series with FFX and FFXII which I enjoyed more. I will say I definitely did hate the character designs with the more 3D Chibi/SD look. Because the games did try to come off more serious but the character models just didn't sell it. Especially when you have another RPG like Legend of Dragoon that did much better I feel in that regard.

There's a distinction to be drawn here. What ultimately amounts to a handful of people online doesn't translate to the game buying community at large so therefore, I think the majority of people who bought and played the game (9.6m copies sold, so a fair few unique buyers in there) enjoyed it. There are always a vocal few who go off about a topic and it makes it seem like that's a majority view but in reality I don't think it is.

So in essence, some people hate it, and that's fine. Not everyone will enjoy something but I do think the majority of people who played it enjoy it although perhaps less than other games. I've seen similar online rants about FF7 being poor which mystify me but to each their own.

It was the first one I ever played as I saw an advert on the TV for it and bought it off a friend. I absolutely loved it when it first came out and it started my relationship with Final Fantasy. As it was my first experience, the junction system was all I knew so I personally didn't have any issue with it particularly as there was little reason for me to use magic during the game that couldn't come from a GF attack. 

I also absolutely adored Triple Triad which to this day is one of my favourite side-quest/minigames in any game, ever. Though the Trabia and Lunar Base rule sets can bugger off.

My main gripe with the story was the flashback sequences with Laguna which I found to be a bit of a chore and whilst I overall, enjoyed the story I do completely appreciate the critique from those who thought the whole time compression angle seemed tacked on at the end and that Ultimecia was underdeveloped.

The other issue I think some people may have had is it is very easy to break the game on disc one through the use of Card Mod. If you weren't that bothered about having a full deck of TT cards, you could heavliy abuse the junction system to make your team invincible which may have killed the challenge for some people who discovered this early on.

I never had a problem with Squall being 'emo' as his arc explains why he is this way and apart from the odd annoying character (Zell) I thought they were well rounded.

Over the years, after repeat playthroughs, I've liked it less and the draw system in retrospect got a bit annoying and the game was quickly kicked into touch in my personal rankings by the far superior, in my opinion, FFVII, FFIX, FFX and FFXII but it still holds up as a great RPG in its own right and I suppose if you playthrough anything enough times it starts to get a little annoying.

My personal table

1. FFX

2. FFVII

3. FFXII

4. FFIX

5. FFVIII

7. FFXV

8. FFX-2

9. FFXIII

10. FFXIII-2

Will get around to VI at some point (as I've been saying for 10 years), if only they gave it trophies and re-released for PS4/5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

give it to us! If we're going to judge you at least let us see the entire ranking lol

So be it!

VI

IV

IX

VII

XII

X

V

VIII

I

II 

III

XIII

I haven’t played XV. If we also rank sequels, I would X-2 directly below X, and XIII-2 and Lightning Returns at the bottom of the list (take your pick of the order).

I enjoy the first 9 games on that list (up to and including I). It’s a battle of titans there. I have an affection for II, but it’s not very good. I dislike III and below, and I absolutely hate the sequels to XIII.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Story-wise, maybe. Gameplay-wise, absolutely not.

Bruh, they shouldn't have made a sequel at all IMO. After arguably the most beautiful ending to a video-game EVER you don't just make a half assed sequel that nobody asked for. And now there are rumors about a potential x-3 and a FF9 remake being in the works. Damnit square! You already have 3 games to finish up first them being FF16, FF7 REMAKE AND Strangers in paradise.The last time you had to deal with multiple triple AAA projects they turned to shit, I'm looking at you FF15!

8 hours ago, Artty44 said:

There's a distinction to be drawn here. What ultimately amounts to a handful of people online doesn't translate to the game buying community at large so therefore, I think the majority of people who bought and played the game (9.6m copies sold, so a fair few unique buyers in there) enjoyed it. There are always a vocal few who go off about a topic and it makes it seem like that's a majority view but in reality I don't think it is.

So in essence, some people hate it, and that's fine. Not everyone will enjoy something but I do think the majority of people who played it enjoy it although perhaps less than other games. I've seen similar online rants about FF7 being poor which mystify me but to each their own.

It was the first one I ever played as I saw an advert on the TV for it and bought it off a friend. I absolutely loved it when it first came out and it started my relationship with Final Fantasy. As it was my first experience, the junction system was all I knew so I personally didn't have any issue with it particularly as there was little reason for me to use magic during the game that couldn't come from a GF attack. 

I also absolutely adored Triple Triad which to this day is one of my favourite side-quest/minigames in any game, ever. Though the Trabia and Lunar Base rule sets can bugger off.

My main gripe with the story was the flashback sequences with Laguna which I found to be a bit of a chore and whilst I overall, enjoyed the story I do completely appreciate the critique from those who thought the whole time compression angle seemed tacked on at the end and that Ultimecia was underdeveloped.

The other issue I think some people may have had is it is very easy to break the game on disc one through the use of Card Mod. If you weren't that bothered about having a full deck of TT cards, you could heavliy abuse the junction system to make your team invincible which may have killed the challenge for some people who discovered this early on.

I never had a problem with Squall being 'emo' as his arc explains why he is this way and apart from the odd annoying character (Zell) I thought they were well rounded.

Over the years, after repeat playthroughs, I've liked it less and the draw system in retrospect got a bit annoying and the game was quickly kicked into touch in my personal rankings by the far superior, in my opinion, FFVII, FFIX, FFX and FFXII but it still holds up as a great RPG in its own right and I suppose if you playthrough anything enough times it starts to get a little annoying.

My personal table

1. FFX

2. FFVII

3. FFXII

4. FFIX

5. FFVIII

7. FFXV

8. FFX-2

9. FFXIII

10. FFXIII-2

Will get around to VI at some point (as I've been saying for 10 years), if only they gave it trophies and re-released for PS4/5

FF6 is the darkest FF in the entire franchise. If you can look past the outdated graphics then I think you will consider this one one of the heavy hitters trust me! ?

• 10 months later...

VIII was my first Final Fantasy game I ever played and it blew me away.

I though FXIII was viewed as more of a black sheep due to how linear it was, but I grew to really like it.

I still have XII and X as my favourites though. I just loved XII's battle system, loot grinding, mob hunts....

Edited by Shady_Wombat

I made a blog once about best PSone games. FFVIII was the FF only game in my TOP10 PSOne games list. Got donvoted by few FFVII fanboys. 

One of the biggest mistakes in your life as a gamer you can make is starting FF franchise with FFVII. 

You won't see what's best in the series and hate everything that isn't FFVII. 

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

I made a blog once about best PSone games. FFVIII was the FF only game in my TOP10 PSOne games list. Got donvoted by few FFVII fanboys. 

One of the biggest mistakes in your life as a gamer you can make is starting FF franchise with FFVII. 

Uhm, that wasn't my case lol. Still have to play 2 through 6 though.

21 hours ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

My first was Final Fantasy VI, which released as Final Fantasy III here in the United States. 

If only Square Enix could release Final Fantasy VI with trophy support….. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

My first was Final Fantasy VI, which released as Final Fantasy III here in the United States. 

If only Square Enix could release Final Fantasy VI with trophy support….. 

Yeah same I got 4 and 6 on snes or 2 and 3 over here in America while I liked 4 alot it just palled in comparison to 6 

What's bad is I couldn't read back then and still loved them haha