Why do we need to be shamed with a ”H” if we hide a game...?

most_tailcoat

On 11/09/2019 at 2:32 PM, most_tailcoat said:

Why can’t you copy it like on ps4 console? Just show the progress but hide the game, instead of ”this player has hidden 200 trophies from their profile” maybe our kids has played or we regret playing a game. I think this ”H” thing ruins our profile, it makes it look suspicious when in fact i just want to hide/regret playing a game... i lost motivation to continue because games couldn’t be hidden properly

First-world problems, mate...

For me the H only gets attention if the player has a high completion rate. Combined with a lot of hidden trophies the profile doesn't have the same value for me (from a completionist point of view). But I don't think bad of a player with hidden trophies or assume he has cheated. Why would I? Just because illegitimate trophies have to be hidden at this site as well? That's a minority and besides, it doesn't matter, I can never be 100% certain if a profile is legit, hidden trophies or not.

Most of us have games or trophies they'd rather hide. Games with  unobtainable trophies, games we don't like but got one or several trophies, embarrassing games or whatever reason. Some of us do hide them, some don't. No problem at all. You should relax and just enjoy. It's your profile and you have to like it!

Edited by Savyna
  • Like 1

The H does not shame or judge anyone, it merely tells the other users that there is something unusual going on, the judging is done by other people. If you think about it, most reasons to have an H are negative. The H could be brought upon someone because he cheated and needed to hide games, it could be because he gave up on completing a really tough or unfair game (like I am probably doing with a certain game at some point), it could be because he has impossible trophies due to server shutdowns and wants to hide these blemishes, it could be because he is embarrassed about enjoying a certain game, or because he bought a game that turned out to be such a piece of shit that he does not want it to show on his profile.

Generally if people really want to hide something, theres a reason for it and it almost always is a negative one. If it bothers you to the point of losing motivation to play, you are a hardcore trophy perfectionist and should use dummy accounts anyway to avoid these kind of things, just get a new one and plan things out better, or man up and stop hiding what is most likely a tiny blemish on your profile not even remotely comparing to the H that makes people think you are a cheater. Almost nobodies profile is perfect.

I have plenty of games that I'm not exactly proud of because for a while I played a bunch of "trophy whore" games such as Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space, My Name is Mayo, and double stacking Murdered: Soul Suspect.

I won't hide anything even if a game of mine somehow gets flagged and I'm off the leaderboards. I don't cheat, but I must say I'm proud with where I'm at.

A certain YouTuber I've been following for a number of years bitched about Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception having those awful treasure sets that you needed to get to 100 percent the PS3 version, hinting at hiding the game.

I find it pathetic that some people out there have to fill their trophy lists with crap and easy shit but won't even attempt anything that may present a challenge. I've talked to a few people who refuse to put Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on their list simply because they feel they will never have the ability or patience to tackle that infamous Mein Leben trophy. If they did have it on their profile they would try to hide it because they can't stand the sight of a game they can't finish and therefore ruining their 100 percent profile.

If you go to those lengths then you shouldn't be a trophy hunter. Simple as that. A trophy hunter should play a wide variety of games, some very easy, some challenging, but all in all having fun with the hobby. People should do what they can do, and move on from there.

2 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

Disagree, in my case I simply don't wanna play a hidden game I have on my profile because I never find the motivation even after almost 4 years.

I said almost always, meaning there is room for exceptions. Makes absolutely no sense to hide a game in your case btw, your completion rate while impressively high is not 100% due to 3 currently incomplete games even with the hidden game, so having the H is not really worth people suspecting you to be a cheater or something like that. I have 4 games with an F rank that I am not currently playing but will be playing at some point, and they don't even get calculated for the completion, not worth getting them off the list so I kinda view them as reminders of what I will most likely be playing next, they also sit alongside A ranks that still need some clean up. Why would I hide any of that even if it takes me years to get to some of them? It is natural people suspect something fishy going on if someone goes out of his way to intentionally hide something that bothers him from his profile, because most people would not care about a single incomplete or 0% they haven't started yet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I said almost always, meaning there is room for exceptions. Makes absolutely no sense to hide a game in your case btw, your completion rate while impressively high is not 100% due to 3 currently incomplete games even with the hidden game, so having the H is not really worth people suspecting you to be a cheater or something like that. I have 4 games with an F rank that I am not currently playing but will be playing at some point, and they don't even get calculated for the completion, not worth getting them off the list so I kinda view them as reminders of what I will most likely be playing next, they also sit alongside A ranks that still need some clean up. Why would I hide any of that even if it takes me years to get to some of them? It is natural people suspect something fishy going on if someone goes out of his way to intentionally hide something that bothers him from his profile, because most people would not care about a single incomplete or 0% they haven't started yet.

True, but I simply hidden it because I don't know if I could return and play it again to be honest and I should do it, if I could get just 1 trophy which is a pain  because need a lot of precision and luck maybe I could go for the platinum.

9 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

True, but I simply hidden it because I don't know if I could return and play it again to be honest and I should do it, if I could get just 1 trophy which is a pain  because need a lot of precision and luck maybe I could go for the platinum.

There’s nothing wrong with showing games that are beyond your skill or ability. 

The only cases where I truly would hide games is if I got flagged for some of them and I wanted to remain on the leaderboards, or if such games became impossible to obtain due to server shutdown/glitched trophies. But I don’t speak for everybody, so there you go. 

The Street Fighter games are beyond my skill and scope. But I would still show them because I want people to see how far I’ve gotten into them. I’ve looked at the  trials and grinding required for the platinum and they are simply far too much. We have our strengths and weaknesses.

13 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There’s nothing wrong with showing games that are beyond your skill or ability. 

The only cases where I truly would hide games is if I got flagged for some of them and I wanted to remain on the leaderboards, or if such games became impossible to obtain due to server shutdown/glitched trophies. But I don’t speak for everybody, so there you go. 

The Street Fighter games are beyond my skill and scope. But I would still show them because I want people to see how far I’ve gotten into them. I’ve looked at the  trials and grinding required for the platinum and they are simply far too much. We have our strengths and weaknesses.

Well, actually the problem I have with that game is not lack of skill, it need a lot of repetition and patience and I'm sure I could earn it, and on youtube has a lot of video of how do it but the problem is the "after" because it's like a chain of quest in order to get another trophy but one of the requeriment is do something that give u a trophy (I stop here) and also I have a problem with the franchise... I don't know why I even buy it if I know I don't like the rest of the game. ? but well... I hope someday find inspiration to finish it like I did with Tales of Zesteria and Omega Quintet :) 

I have the same problem with fighting games, I really like Blazblue but is simply impossible to me earn a platinum.

Edited by AlchemistWer

After reading this thread posts, I also decided to hide two games on my list (Dead Star and NBA 2K17: The Prelude). Seemingly a lot of people don't care about it, and I've hidden games with closed servers (and I'd be stuck with E rank and unearned 51% trophy), not the ones that require skill/determination to platinum.

It's not a bad thing "H" is shown but it could show the games/trophies you've hidden after clicking on it. Because PSNP already tracks amount of trophies you've hidden it would be possible to implement someday.

On 14.09.2019 at 1:14 PM, Spaz said:

I find it pathetic that some people out there have to fill their trophy lists with crap and easy shit but won't even attempt anything that may present a challenge. I've talked to a few people who refuse to put Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on their list simply because they feel they will never have the ability or patience to tackle that infamous Mein Leben trophy. If they did have it on their profile they would try to hide it because they can't stand the sight of a game they can't finish and therefore ruining their 100 percent profile.

Have you put Wolfenstein II on your profile since you speak ill about them? Just what's the difference between playing the game and hiding it on main account or playing it on alt account, except being a bit more careful?

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

42 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Have you put Wolfenstein II on your profile since you speak ill about them? Just what's the difference between playing the game and hiding it on main account or playing it on alt account, except being a bit more careful?

What's the point in hiding it?

I already know most people won't get the Mein Leben trophy but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of the game or I won't be playing it anytime soon. If you use an alt account to play games to try them out ahead of time, that's fine.

As for putting the game on my profile, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, Genie said:

Then I read some similar thread about the possibility of those with hidden trophies not being on the leaderboards. 

You'll be on the leaderboard, even if you hide most of your games etc. You just gotta hide games when you're flagged for them, but when you hit 3 games, you're permanently out whatever you do. Other sites don't show players with hidden trophies on their leaderboard, assuming it's cheated trophies.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...