Gone Fishing

Well, whatever works best for you.

PS3 games I will get physical and digital, whatever is cheapest or most convenient. I do prefer getting a PS3 game on disc when I can but if digital is cheaper in some sale, then I will happily go with that.

PS4 I mostly buy digital, although with the PS5 being round the corner I have also begun picking up second hand physical PS4 games for cheap now.

Some miracle needs to happen for me ever to consider collecting physical Vita games. They are rare to begin with so I do not expect them to go down in price a lot (if at all) in the future.

It's not really about availability for me but more about cost. I could spend more on my gaming hobby than I do but I prefer to spend that money on some of my other passtimes. I bought a PS3 in 2013 and a PS4 in late 2017. I always wait for a good sale to buy a game and if that means I wait for a couple of years then so be it, My backlog is huge already so I am never without a game to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I think I should have been more specific I was just talking about new or at least modern games. Definitely in the case of older games (Especially PS3 games) physical on eBay is WAY cheaper than digital. :)-

Ah okay. Yeah I hardly buy new games at full price. My wife got me RDR2 for my birthday some months back so even that is an exception :P

I have also gone digital only this year. The reason is very simple: the prices on the PS Store are really quite good. During sales that is, not regular full prices. But there seems to be a sale pretty much all the time these days and I really enjoy browsing through them and actually discovering games I haven't heard of before (non-AAA games). Even AAA-games drop in price quite quickly, it is merely a matter of rationality: can you wait a bit longer and instead play your backlog while you wait for prices to drop? The situation is completely different from Steam for example, where games cost a fortune no matter how old. I do worry that if digital only becomes the norm the PS Store will start behaving the same as Steam. If there are no viable other outlets to buy your games from and stock is not a problem because it is all digital, then why would the PS Store ever lower the price? Alas, we are not there yet.

But for now I'm digital only. The prices are lower and it is much more convenient: I can play a few games at once without having to swap discs. I am past the point where I need to have my games displayed in a cabinet. I would re-sell games after I was done with them anyway. This used to be an advantage over digital, but it has become much harder to get a decent price (so I don't bother). Storage is not an issue either: physical vs digital, the installed file size is the same. As for physical stores, I have never bought my games there. I would always buy my games online (tax is the same everywhere). Up until maybe a year ago that was cheaper, but it no longer is most of the time. As for second hand, I used to buy loads of stuff on Amazon UK but despite the dirt cheap pound (brexit) the added shipping costs usually offset the savings. So digital only. Works for me.

At some point I think I will even consider something like PS Now.

• Like 2

I still try to get physical games when I can, mostly the bigger games (so I don't have to wait to download them), exceptions to those are games like the Yakuza games, and Judgement, either, getting them physically is a pain, or thy're on sale digitally, or it's cheaper in general.  Though the last part can still vary for me.

When it comes to digital, it's mostly only digital games when I can, as in, games that don't have physical copies, or as I said before, they're cheaper.

Size can also determine as I said earlier on for me, mostly cause of the whole, waiting around for them to download, which can be a pain (DOOM being an example, you know, the 2016 game where I got the digital copy of that and all up, the file was around 80gb because of patches, as I don't think the company knew how to compress them or something like that? Not sure, but that took me overnight to download x.x).

But yeah, I still like to get physical copies of games, and I have store nearby I can get them from still, or get them online via Mighty Ape over here for usually overnight or Saturday delivery.

But digital is also a thing if I have to for, as I stated before, with games with no physical copy available to obtain.

I rarely play new games for several years after they come out and still have backlog from PS2 and GameCube so I stick to buying physical when I find good deals. And although stores are quite abundant near my house, I rarely find myself driving to a location to shop for games, I’ll do most of the shopping online. 

• Like 1

I’m basically all digital - it’s just convenient. I’m gonna have to download big amounts of games anyway - patches, dlc etc, and I have no issue with internet connectivity or caps or anything, so it’s easy for me.

I’m not *opposed* to physical - i do occasionally get given a physical copy for Christmas or something, but it’s now weird to me to hit a game icon on the screen, and have it tell me to insert the disc!

i’m in the UK, and there aren’t many dedicated videogame shops left - the main one left ‘GAME’ killed off all the small retailers ages ago, then ate their only competitor a few years back (an equally skeezy retailer called ‘GameStation’), so now they are all that’s left.

Couple that with the fact that the stores are pretty bad. The people who work there don’t know anything about games. I constantly hear them recommending terrible crap to innocent, confused parents, or giving them wrong info, or just straight up lying about how good a game is to make a sale, and the skeeziest thing is that whenever you take a new game to the counter, they try to sell you on a used copy for £5 less than the new one. Basically “give us all the money, and deny the developer and publisher any revenue... cuz, y’know... we’re so great. Want a Funko Pop with that?”

I don’t feel at all guilty about not supporting them.

Every time I go in I worry i’m gonna catch acne. Or hepatitis. Or Funko Pop.

I would get physical versions if it made sense, but for it to be worth the extra hassle, it woud need to cost at least a 40% less than the digital price. There is a massive inconvenience to going to a store, parking, finding game, putting up with all the “you want the strategy guide? The plastic model? A pre-order? A sticker book? A fucking Funko Pop?” and getting it home, and even then, I’m gonna have to download the patches etc. anyway.

Or.... I can buy on my phone in a few clicks, and it will be fully installed and waiting by the time I get home from work.... and it was probably cheaper!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat, it's much cheaper and easy to buy a game straight away from PSN and do not wait, pay more, wait and pay more, seek for a very long time-wait and pay more. Like physical games and have own little collection, but for today not only have to carefully choose which game will be on disk, but also be enough quick and with cash until it disappears from local stores. Irony of this, can't handle it either, wanted the Resident Evil copy, but local price was much greater for a disk, so gave up and bought it day one from the store. You know, waiting for a price drops and hopping it will be not out of stock usually ends up with nothing. Plus with some games bought outside home region have to deal with season pass locks and not being able to enjoy a game fully. This all summ ups into complete digital purchase only choice.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

First off I'm not in your kind of situation.

Now my opinion: I like to buy digital because besides inputting my credit card details I can just click a few buttons  and have the game I want shortly thereafter.

Yes the flash sales are a fantastic incentive to buy digital too, sometimes even better than going through Ebay for a physical copy. Also the fact that I can switch out my games without having to worry about changing discs is nice too.

• 4 weeks later...

I go soley by price. I compare the cost of a used physical copy vs the digital one. I play a lot of Japanese games on my vita, mostly otome games and have to buy digital for them as it's usually much cheaper to buy digital than import them. Although there were a few occasions where Solaris Japan which sells used games ended up being cheaper when I calculated it including shipping, in which case I went for physical. I also buy digital in sales, as some of the discounts are really good, especially around New Years and Black Friday. 

I personally prefer digital over physical in general, but my main goal is to choose the cheapest option, wait for flash sales and price drops. I don't buy full price digital games though, as they are very expensive. All my digital games were bought in sales

• 3 weeks later...

I've been totally digital since Steam on the PC. For someone lazy like me it's so much better. I wanna play a different game, I just select it. I don't have to get up and find the disc. You also don't get the noise of the disc spinning and it takes up no room in the house.

When I first read about digital games and someone on a different forum saying how it was the future. I remember telling them I would never go digital and they were mad lol funny how things change.

• Like 1

I have a big enough backlog that I can shop around, wait for a sale in store or online and buy at the right time.  Examples would be RDR2 for $30 and God of War for $20 at Walmart, or watching flash sales for Sniper Elites 3 and 4 for about $15 each.  Personally prefer to have the disc in my hands but not a game breaker.