Gone Fishing

I began playing games long before trophies or even normal achievements were even a thing, I still play pc games nowadays or older games on dead consoles that have no such things. So yeah, I'd still play games, maybe not forcefully complete absolutely every doable thing in them if I do not enjoy them like I do with PS4 games, but thats about the only difference.

• Like 3

Honestly yeah. I have no idea about Control as a game, but my question would rather be: is it REALLY worth it to play it on pc where of course I had no achievements and need to start over? Because if it's just better graphics lmao get that shit out of here.

Trophies have been a very good addition, regardless if you are a trophy hunter or not, it lets you experience games in ways you never thought possible, would I really do  all the stuff to get the platinum on DMC 1-4 and reboot? Hell no, would I really do something autistic as having all the accessories on FFXIII or getting all different types of weapons maxed out on Demon's Souls? And definitely wouldn't do that shit with the sphere grid in FFX.  That, and it also gives you incentives on doing difficult modes. Honestly, if it weren't for trophies I probably would have stopped playing games by now, maybe I would still play casually for some hours in a month or so, but it would  be a very small selection of games. The only game(s) I ever took seriously without trophies was Pokémon and that's because it had competitions on Smogon and VGC/Battle Spot, buying a game, completing it for  the story, and then trade it in for another game, I cannot imagine something so boring at least for me. I'd wager that many games that would come out I'd rather just watch them on youtube, for example, something like Uncharted, without trophies I would just watch the cutscenes on youtuve rather than playing it on easy and finding collectibles that hold no real use.

• Like 3

I think so, yes. But I don't know if would bother doing the sort of stuff you'd normally do for trophies, unless of course I'm madly in love with the game.

Btw, will trophy sync be removed from PS3, or was it just hypothetical? I still need to play some PS3 games, so if Sony has warned that they'll remove trophy support, or something like that, I'm a bit busy. 

I don't really know how to answer this to be honest. I definitely understand your point of view: I used to own a Xbox 360 and PS3. Especially in the early years games that were released for both consoles were superior on Xbox 360. So I played them there. The Xbox 360 was my main console as a result. Then things flipped around. At some point I started caring about achievements and trophies. And then I was lost, especially when the PS3 became my main console and I felt I had to replay all those Xbox 360 games ?

Right now I am trying to figure out what I want to do. This whole community is based around trophy hunting it seems. I have never been as hardcore as quite a few here: I won't play games I don't like, I don't care much about completion percentages and I certainly would never stack regions to get multiple plats for the same game. Yet I do catch myself playing games beyond the point of fun for extra trophies and the occasional plat. I know I can't go back to gaming without the 'reward' of trophies, for some reason I can't shake the feeling that I am just wasting my time then. Yet I can't explain why it doesn't feel the same way playing with trophies. That sense of making progress? On countless occasions the trophies have also motivated me to go beyond the "meh" feeling and discover a really good game after I would normally have given up on it. That is my main reason to stick to games with trophies. I do know however that I have to find a better middle ground.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I'm glad you chimed in. I wanted someone from the other side of the fence to describe their motivations so other could see, as you have here. Thank you for you're thoughtful post! 1f600.png

You are very welcome.

31 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I'm in the same boat bud, I've been meaning to play through a bunch of stuff including all the Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank games on PS3.

Given my profile you'll hardly be surprised to hear me say this: fire up your PS3!! I discovered Sly Cooper too late (I wanted to ditch my PS3, so I didn't give it the attention it deserved) but Ratchet & Clank... wow! I loved every single moment with those games, they were the only reason I sometimes miss my PS3. And some of these games don't even have trophy support so you know I'm serious ?

(okay, sorry to go off topic here but I had to)

• Like 1

If there were no new games with trophies/achievements AT ALL I would still play but most games would be finished once on Normal difficulty and never touched again.

As it is now, I can't play a game for very long without trophies so I wouldn't even consider playing something like Control or Borderlands 3 on PC since they're exclusive to the Epic Store. I mean even Xbox and Steam achievements don't interest me very much anymore since I found this site. I know there are similar sites for Xbox at least but they don't hold a candle to PSNP.  My Switch is at my girlfriend's which is probably where it will stay for a long time since Nintendo is probably never going to implement an achievement system. 

I used to be all about PC gaming and the "superior experience" but I haven't upgraded my PC since 2014 even though I could easily afford to. That will sound sad to some but trophies have got their hooks in me for better or worse. 

1 hour ago, Fragtaster said:

Interesting. I find it fascinating that so many people play games multiple times just for trophies as the driving reason - I usually just pick a difficulty (usually normal) and play thru the game once trying to 100% it as much as I can in a reasonable amount of time (though sometimes if its a short game like a FPS, I'll pick the hardest setting to nab all the trophies at once and make the experience more fun). If there are cool collectibles I'll reload a save and try to get them, but otherwise I don't replay a game until it's been several years and I'm hankering to replay it. There are so many good games, and my time is limited, so I play games and then move on to the next one.

Ditto. I try to avoid multiple playthroughs unless the game has a branching story with different ending or a new game + with newly unlocked content.

There are games where the difficulty doesnt stack and the gameplay /story doesn't change.  These ones are a chore for me, but i push through for the progression feeling on the %100. You'll never catch me stacking different regions.

It's a nice extra and can give that extra push to "get your money's worth", but it is pretty clear to me that it's not something worth getting an inferior game, or version of a game, for. That's already making decisions based on addiction mechanics, which would probably ruin the entire hobby for me in the not-so-long run. Most of the best games I played this year did not have trophies (such as Zelda BotW, Xenoblade 2 and Zero no Kiseki). I do still keep a list of these games in a backloggery, so it's not like I have no record to look back what I played.

The thousands of hours I’ve put into the Civilization franchise and keep going back to tells me I’ll still play games without trophies. Although my backlog is big enough to fulfill much of my future gaming with trophy pings for decades. Just because I wouldn’t be syncing trophies to the PSN (in this hypothetical future) doesn’t mean trophies get turned off on my existing Vita, PS3, and PS4 games. 

My play and my game shopping behaviour would change, that's for sure. I play games since I can remember and that wont change any time soon. But since their are trophys in my life I play more different games and invest more time in useless actions in games (collectibles etc). 

I would only buy and play games I'm really interested in beforehand, because of story or gameplay .. not because of easy trophies. And I would finish 90% of the games after one playthrough.

I'm now 36 years young and have been a gamer for as long as I can remember since playing chuckie egg to death 30 odd years ago and then upgrading to the NES.

Gaming has and always will be my faveourite past time and that will never change.  Back when I got the PS3 11 years ago I seen all these little ding pictures popping up all the time but thought nothing of them.  After having it about a year I came to realise what these things actually were.  I decided to go for the plat on Alice madness returns because I loved that game and how dark it was, ever since then I got the trophy bug and have had it ever since.  What I love about this site is that you can go all the way back and rediscover some great hidden gems you forgot about all those years ago.

I really enjoy the trophies and I find that you really get your moneys worth out of the game when going for them all.  Would I be devestated if the whole trophy system was just scrapped all together?  No not particularly.  It would have no impact on the volume of my game playing habits and I would still continue to blast away gaming until I can no longer hold a controller in my hands!