Gone Fishing

If trophies were ever to stop at any point I would still continue to play games, and considering I've been playing Nintendo Switch and 3DS quite a bit.
My game purchases wouldn't change too much any and I still would have bought the same games I currently have.
Only thing that would change is I probably wouldn't play online hardly(Even though I don't play online much anyway), go after collectibles to too many games, and wouldn't probably play on a difficulty any higher than normal difficulty and a lot of games I probably wouldn't bother with more than one playthrough with unless I like the game a lot.

3 hours ago, sona_11 said:

Of course !! I invested 130 hours playing  fire emblem three houses ( on Nintendo Switch) and it’s still increasing 1f602.png2764.png

That is one game I would have bought if it was on PS4 but nope, can't spend that long away from my trophies. ?

Having bailed on trophies/achievements a year or two ago... I'll be honest, it's tougher to go back than I expected.

I was hoping it'd be a breath of fresh air being able to go through games free from guides and roadmaps, no hardest difficulties or speedruns... but I'm quickly finding single player games less compelling experiences without something propelling me through the lulls.  Of which the lulls feel more plentiful than ever with open worlds/quest logs and narrative-heavy games becoming more prevalent and each release trying to out-do the last.  Where trophies at some point made it all feel worth it, now I'm just left feeling like it isn't worth it most of the time. xD

So I've actually gravitated towards multiplayer/community oriented games.  FFXIV, Destiny, Mario Maker 2, my NHL games.  Where the lulls are sometimes equally as heavy or worse than these single player games, but playing with others tends to dull the rougher edges considerably and makes it feel worth the time spent.  Kinda like how trophies did.

Edited by Dreakon13

I’d still play games without trophies. I play games now that don’t have any. I’m just more inclined to buy a multi-platform game on PS4 because of trophy support.

I would expect it depends on your reasons for trophy hunting. For me I’m not overly interested in my percentage. I use trophies as an incentive to experience everything the game has to offer.

I don’t Platinum that many games, I mainly stick with games I really like, and like having the platinums on my list as a way to show what games I have thoroughly enjoyed.

But my list is sporadic. I have some 0-3% platinums which are mainly games that I love. 

I also have a lot of the very easy platinums, mainly because they are Ratalaika games that I buy to keep my vita alive.

I think if trophy support was dropped I’d simply just spread out my collection a bit more, maybe buy more indie titles on Switch instead of PS4. But I’d still be buying the same games. 

I would probably leave out collecting all those collectibles too ?

I would play games without trophies, because sometimes you have to. Especially on systems like the Switch which doesn't have a system.

It's not even a case that "I'm glad that game doesn't have trophies because it might embarrass me if someone asks about it" - I have way too many Senran Kagura games on my list, but I'm totes okay if people know that.

I'm going to be honest, trophies influence my gaming habits vastly. I like seeing my progress in a tidy order, I like to let go of games that I've "maxed" and I like to keep pushing if I haven't.

But yes, I would still play games, but possibly less and fewer.

15 minutes ago, Doucet-182 said:

Anyone who answers "No" to this should re-evaluate their life choices. At that point you're not playing games. You're doing chores to get trophy rewards.

Yes. Anyone who plays games in the way they see fit should "re-evaluate" their life choices.

Why don't you just answer the question asked, instead of standing on your soapbox, Doucet-182?

EDIT: Unfortunate typo.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

It makes me sad that so many probably would drop Sony and move to Xbox if trophies were dropped. You see so many people avoiding good games that have a hard plat or maybe don't have one at all. Then they buy crap like the mayo game and purely for the trophies.

As much as I like trophies, I feel that Nintendo did the right thing by not following. Will Sony drop trophies? No. Would gaming be better without them? Yes. People might actually play games for fun again and not play crap to make a digital counter go up by a digit

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Doucet-182 said:

Anyone who answers "No" to this should re-evaluate their life choices. At that point you're not playing games. You're doing chores to get trophy rewards.

Exactly it becomes a checklist of things rather than a game. Try pointing this out and you get attacked by the masses lol

• Like 1

Have been playing games for probably as long as anyone on these forums, having started with an Atari 2600 as a kid. The loss of trophies would not change gaming as a hobby.

I would be lying though if I said the loss of trophies wouldn't drastically change the way I game.

I know a lot of people don't get the trophy hunting part of things. Personally I found the addition of trophies changed the way I approached a game, and gaming as a hobby. I've written guides, competed in THLs, done crazy boosts - none of those things would exist without trophies.

I went from casual gaming to trying to move up the leaderboards, to going back to get 90%, then 95%,, and now 99% completion on my profile.

I am on a 1000 day plus trophy streak.

I have played and persevered through horrible games. I have spent a month whoring awful games for competitions.

But I've also met a lot of people along the way, had some great chats, made some friends, and played some games that I would never have even considered without trophies. Some bad, most of them simply forgettable, but also some amazing gems.

If trophies disappeared tomorrow, I would miss the completionist part of gaming. But I'd go back and play some games that I missed or avoided due to trophies. I'd probably pick up an Xbox and play the Gears series. I would probably go back to more AAA games and far, far fewer games per year.

I'd also drop Plus in a heartbeat and never touch the toxicity of online gaming again (yay!). But I'd miss social aspect of the We Plays on here, the dot org events, the TT community challenges. None of those work without trophies.

At the end of the day, gaming isn't trophies, but trophies have certainly reignited the passion for gaming for me, and have changed the way I approach it - for better and for worse.

• Like 1

My gaming history goes back long before achievements or trophies even existed. The first game that I gave a damn about levels/achievements was Runescape. Played the living shit out of that MMO back in 2002 - 2007 when it was good. I played World of Warcraft for a while and got some achievements that came with the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, including some that are now unobtainable.

I played starting with the tail end of the NES era and the heyday of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and SNES generation. Moved on to the N64 in the late 1990s and had a ton of fun with Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007, all the classics that were released for that console. Got my Playstation 2 in the early 2000s, played all the Grand Theft Auto games, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, etc etc etc.

Lost interest in consoles for a long time and played almost exclusively PC. My PC library dates back to the early 1990s but I've played more modern games from this decade, mostly indie stuff on Steam since none of my computers can handle the high end AAA material.

The vast majority of my gaming history had nothing to do with trophies and to this day I play games on Steam with no achievement system attached to them. The Playstation consoles are the only systems that I care about trophies and compared to what Microsoft and Steam have put out, trophies at least still hold some value.

I have played countless games in my lifetime, going from the most popular well known titles to some of the most obscure bizarre niche ones. Gaming has been a part of my entire life and I don't know what I would of done without it. It's the only hobby that I have any real skill and talent in.

I'd still play games even if they didn't have trophies. I didn't even really start to care about them until around 2012-2013 or so, and have been playing since the N64/PS1 era. I still play plenty of non-Playstation games and still sometimes seek to 100% them just out of sheer enjoyment. I do however, feel that trophies enhance the experience for me and I sometimes feel like I'm missing something if a game doesn't have trophies. Trophies give me some motivation to 100% games, explore side content I might not have bothered with otherwise, replaying games, and yes, gives me some small sense of pride. I remember earlier this year when I was importing The Liar Princess (it didn't get a physical here in Europe), for a while the PS4 version was sold out and I was contemplating getting the Switch version. But I felt weirdly disappointed in having to "settle" for that, so I just waited to get a PS4 copy, and thoroughly enjoyed both playing the game, and achieving the platinum. I don't think I would have felt the same sense of achievement or enjoyment if I got it on Switch, even if I did 100% it.

It's the same thing with other games that are multiplat. I generally get them on Playstation whenever possible. I could get the Switch version of a game, but 1. They usually don't perform as well especially if they're AAA titles. 2. They're usually more expensive and 3. They don't have trophies/achievements. I actually prefer cartridges as well since I've never once had a cart die on me, they're smaller and come in smaller cases so they're easier to store, and they're just far more durable and convenient for swapping. But trophies > cartridge. The only times I've gone with another system over PS3/PS4 when they've been available for multiple systems is if they're only physical for one system. In that case, physical games > trophies. I love physical games even though I know they're becoming more "obsolete" and a lot of the time the full game isn't even on the disc/cart any more anyway. Just like the sense of actually "owning" something. Plus they're usually cheaper anyway, especially for AAA games.

One thing I will say is, if they announce in 2020 that the PS3 servers will be shut down within a year or so and we'd no longer be able to sync trophies, I would make it a point to get through my PS3 backlog as soon as possible (mostly JRPGs sadly), even pushing aside other games that are coming out that I'd rather play to prioritise it. I personally don't see PSN getting shut down for PS3 or Vita any time soon since they share the same network as PS4 and presumably PS5, but I know they won't remain online indefinitely.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

I'd still play games, but I'd just finish the game and move on.   These days I feel like most of my time is devoted to post game trophy hunting (doesn't help my main genre is RPGs), it's a lot of busy work and I fall behind from new releases, I'm usually stuck playing games that have been out for months or years already.