Why Use Magic??

First time playing FF8 and I just got to disc 2 and really realise what's the point on drawing so much magic? I say this as this game you have unlimited summons uses and they always do massive damage for example use a 'fira' magic and does like 300 damage but use a summon and it's about 2500 damage. It seems you only need to use summons really in battle. The only magic which is good is the non attack ones like 'Cure'. I know the magic is good at adding on 'junction' but in battle seems useless. 

23 minutes ago, gamerrob25 said:

First time playing FF8 and I just got to disc 2 and really realise what's the point on drawing so much magic? I say this as this game you have unlimited summons uses and they always do massive damage for example use a 'fira' magic and does like 300 damage but use a summon and it's about 2500 damage. It seems you only need to use summons really in battle. The only magic which is good is the non attack ones like 'Cure'. I know the magic is good at adding on 'junction' but in battle seems useless. 

Well there are some magics like meltdown that make life loads easier but if your going without the boosters bagic can be a big help like I said meltdown is great and aura especially in tandem meltdown makes enemies take alot more damage and aura let's the person use limit breaks till it wears off but really I'm more of a physical attacker but I use quistis' blue magics alot

5 hours ago, gamerrob25 said:

I only ever used magic to Junction. You can get through this game with just physical attacks and GFs. As above poster says Aura and Meltdown are the only two you really need. E.g. Aura on Rinoa and the team, hope you get the invincibility attack from Angelo, makes Ultima Weapon easy AF.

Edited by AndyKazama
Why did I call the dog Angela?

If you are using the game boosters, then no need to USE magic. But more powerful magic should be junctioned. Once you get the Doomtrain GF, you can unleash the train to bring down every single enemy's vitality down to zero (you can damage them much more than before.)

If you plan to play it legal, then you will need to use Meltdown, Haste, and Aura. Meltdown does the same as Doomtrain, use Haste on Squall, and then Aura to make Squall use his limit breaks more often. And you may need fast use of magic if you are facing the Omega Weapon (life, curaga etc.)

On 9/13/2019 at 4:44 AM, gamerrob25 said:

Yeah, there's no point in using magic in battle, except when you're fighting Ultima/Omega Weapon. Just draw 100 of every spell you come across (the 3x speed boost makes this a lot less tedious) and junction everything to your characters' stats. You'll be killing bosses with only a couple of physical attacks in no time.

4 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Yeah, there's no point in using magic in battle, except when you're fighting Ultima/Omega Weapon. Just draw 100 of every spell you come across (the 3x speed boost makes this a lot less tedious) and junction everything to your characters' stats. You'll be killing bosses with only a couple of physical attacks in no time.

Card modding is faster than drawing 100 of each magic

During fights magic is a little useless. You only need aura in order to do limit attacks but due to the cheats that's pointless too. However you need different spells for certain stats in your character stats menu. Curaga for instance will give you the best outcome for your HP if you place it on vitality. Haste is the best if you place it on speed and so on. Putting different magic types in different categories is the real struggle, since some of them work best on multiple stats. Ultima for example is pretty much always the best spell in any category. So you need to figure out what works best for you and your party. Anyway, online you will find many setups which are a huge help.