Worth getting into for the lore?

I love the books and lore of Halo. Warhammer 40k appears to be a similar space opera franchise. The problem is that there are about 100 books of varying quality. If there are a few dud books in the 20 Halo novels (not counting the graphic novels) then I expect the average quality of the Warhammer novels to be far worse.

Is the franchise worth getting into for the books?

Like every series it has its highs and lows but often the lows are self-contained in their own stories or one-offs that don't really affect the overall series. As for where to start there isn't really a bad place to start but the Eisenhorn series is often recommended as a good start. The Ciaphas Cain stories are also pretty good, especially if you like black comedy. There's also:

-Gaunt's Ghosts

-Blood Angels

-Grey Knights

-Last Chancers

-Ultramarines

-Word Bearers

-Space Wolf

-Soul Drinkers

And I do believe there are books on Dawn of War, specifically ones based on the Blood Ravens.

The real meat and overall background of the story is the Horus Heresy (a.k.a How Horus ruined everything for everyone and made the universe a more bleak place than it already was) and there's a lot of stories from those and it's still kind of debated on what order to read those or how to start. But I often see others recommend reading them from publishing order.

It's certainly difficult to describe, but basically once you start somewhere, there's no wrong place to really go. And if you like a certain faction then you can also read something based on them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What Redgrave says is true, I have read some crap and some amazing books in the universe.

I can definitely recommend Dan Abnett's Ciaphas Cain and Gaunt's Ghosts series. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Ultramarines and Grey Knights books, they're alright but I didn't enjoy them like I did with the previous two book series. 

• 4 weeks later...