these maps are weak

melodicmizery

anyone else think the maps are very uninteresting compared to others?

i like alot of the layout updates thats cool, and regardless the game is fun because its borderlands, and i like the trophies being easy. but my excitement for this game overnight has dwindled down to browsing my computer and muting the tv when they play a cutscene. i just simply dont care about the story because the game itself i wouldnt say sucks, but just isnt interesting. is there even any bosses. i didnt even get any sort of elemental weapon until rank 10 and that was from the borderlands page. each gun has low ammo im constantly reloading.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

is there even any bosses.

I'm only like level 12 and i've already fought a couple bosses. The main ones being Shiv, Mouthpiece, and Gigamind. I've also encountered a couple bosses in sidequests like a guy named Killavolt.

i didnt even get any sort of elemental weapon until rank 10 and that was from the borderlands page.

Yeah, they don't seem to give out many elementals at the beginning of the game, but I've been finding bunches on the second planet. This is something they did in other BL games too though, just to a lesser extent.

each gun has low ammo im constantly reloading.

This I haven't really noticed personally. You might have to start prioritizing clip size over other stats if it bothers you.

As far as the maps go I can't weigh in too much yet, but yeah what i've seen so far is fairly bland, hopefully it livens up in a bit.

Edited by danceswithsloths

5 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

anyone else think the maps are very uninteresting compared to others?

i like alot of the layout updates thats cool, and regardless the game is fun because its borderlands, and i like the trophies being easy. but my excitement for this game overnight has dwindled down to browsing my computer and muting the tv when they play a cutscene. i just simply dont care about the story because the game itself i wouldnt say sucks, but just isnt interesting. is there even any bosses. i didnt even get any sort of elemental weapon until rank 10 and that was from the borderlands page. each gun has low ammo im constantly reloading.

I havent got very far at the moment but im still in pandora and the first place that you drive on reminded of the big area you drive on in borderlands 2 which is poor. Cant remember the name but think its where you meet donkey mong.

Upto now the game reminds me of borderlands 2 with a few minor screen improvements. Which isnt a bad thing and it would be ok if the game came out a few years after 2 but its been 9 years. 

There just aren't enough buttons on the controller for every function...lol. I remapped up, left and right on the d-pad to be weapon shortcuts but I still need down to switch between firing modes so there goes the 4th weapon shortcut. The challenges are too hidden as well. Should be in the log section of the menu like they used to be. The menus are indeed very slow like Brian stated. Hopefully a patch will improve things there. 

The maps seem fine to me if a bit familiar through level 22. I am not too picky about that kind of stuff though if I'm enjoying the game which I am. Basically it's more Borderlands so don't go in expecting any big changes and you'll have fun. 

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 2

I play about five hours yesterday.  I think the game has some balancing issues.  I am annoyed that the only way to change weapons is to press :triangle:, which is annoying.  I think whoever mentioned the controller not having enough buttons for all the functions may have a point.  Hopefully something to be addressed with the Dual Shock 5 and XBox Scarlett controllers.  I am still getting used to the layout, though.  I also feel like the enemies are too bullet spongy for my tastes.  On the other hand the cooperative mode for level scaling of enemies seems to work very well so far.  

The menu is a tad clunky.  While I do like the way it looks visually, I find myself still adjusting to how everything is laid out.  Not sure if I am a fan of it, to be honest.

• Like 1

Im level 21 and so far im enjoying every second of it. My only true issue is menu lag and the fps can tank in huge fights. Hopefully they fix those soon.

As for maps, im liking them. Nothing special ( tbf nor was borderlands/2 maps any special ) but they do have some nice secrets.     

• Like 1

Well, Borderlands having an interesting story isn't really the point it focuses, hell, it lucked out with Handsome Jack as a compelling villain, the gameplay though, a fusion of fps and rpg(as in good rpg, not meme dialogue choice, but customisation of your characters and playstyle)  without fucking up the single player  is something that to this day hasn't been rivaled in the market. Now, I feel it's gonna be better than Borderlands 1 and the presequel, but not better than 2, that's a milestone it cannot reach. I'll wait some more for a complete edition,  with all the DLCs and level cap to buy.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, RedDevil757 said:

You'll probably have to wait for people's fanboy glasses to come off and the hype to die down before anyone agrees on here haha

My friend whos never played a Borderlands game before absolutely loves the game. I don't think it's "fanboy hype" I think the game is made for a person who likes a specific type of game. Or maybe he's bored because he's playing solo. and maybe my friends only having fun because we're playing co-op. Point is. Everyone will have a different opinion depending on how they play the game and the context of them playing, it doesn't mean that the game is bad and only getting good reception due to "fan hype"

3 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

3 hours ago, lilpain97 said:

My only true issue is menu lag and the fps can tank in huge fights.

I agree menu lag is the only thing I can really complain about so far besides weapon swap being locked to triangle. Otherwise, I've been enjoying the game with my friend. 

6 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

I think whoever mentioned the controller not having enough buttons for all the functions may have a point.

Indeed. This is why I wish PS4 allowed full keyboard and mouse support like Xbox.

Edited by Phoenixgaming1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Subseven07 said:

:triangle: is by far the best way to change weapons like in the most other shooters.

I'd agree to that if it was only 2 weapons. but, we go through 4 weapons at a point in the game and later on in higher-level gameplay, if like BL2, we'll need an option to use the D-pad for weapon swapping to elemental to quickly swap to elemental weapons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesey46 said:

To everyone having an issue with weapon swapping; go to settings and change the controller layout to 'classic' this brings back the d-pad changing weapons and puts changing fire modes to holding down triangle.

No need to thank me?

Right, but then you lose the ability to ping easily (you have to hold down Options, which just isn't convenient) and you can no longer cycle missions the quick way (which is a feature I really like). You have to lose something good to gain something good...neither way is ideal. So I've just been trying to get used to swapping with :triangle:

As for the OP...I love the maps so far. Lectra City (the area with Killavolt) is my favorite so far. A lot of verticality, so the platforming really comes into play. 

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

Right, but then you lose the ability to ping easily (you have to hold down Options, which just isn't convenient) and you can no longer cycle missions the quick way (which is a feature I really like). You have to lose something good to gain something good...neither way is ideal. So I've just been trying to get used to swapping with :triangle:

As for the OP...I love the maps so far. Lectra City (the area with Killavolt) is my favorite so far. A lot of verticality, so the platforming really comes into play. 

I know, either way we lose. Honestly I think the default control scheme would be fine if we could hold down triangle button and it came up with a weapon wheel like a lot of games have. Then the d-pad can be used for the new stuff but we still get to switch to specific weapons on the fly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

To everyone having an issue with weapon swapping; go to settings and change the controller layout to 'classic' this brings back the d-pad changing weapons and puts changing fire modes to holding down triangle.

No need to thank me1f60a.png

Awesome. I don't need pinging since I play solo and I can just change the tracked quest from the menu because that's not something I'm doing a lot anyway but I was still leaving down on the d-pad for switching fire modes. I was getting to my 4th weapon by selecting the 3rd with the d-pad then hitting Triangle but Classic mode is what I'll be using from now on. 

Yeah, I usually would prefer d-pad mapping for gun switching, but I'm getting pretty used to quick switching with triangle as @danceswithsloths mentioned above. It helps a lot if you try keep the same weapon types in the same slots when changing or upgrading to new guns, such as a pistol in 1, shotgun in 2, sniper 3 etc. The quick double or triple tapping once you know what you'll be switching to is less cumbersome than the old d-pad switching now I am used to it, worth sticking with and getting accustomed to it

• Like 1

There is issues, even die hard fanboys are pointing out.  But overall, it has been an enjoyable experience for me.  I have played the previous titles and enjoyed those as well.  While the newest installment has some drawbacks, there has also been improvements.  There is some frame rate issues especially when accessing the menu.  The aesthetic of the areas we visit is beautiful.  The map isn't totally cooperative at times, but I like the premise of showing height levels.  It does seem easier compared to the other titles.  I have only been in fight for your life like 2-3 times.  I solo my first playthrough to enjoy everything then I get online with others to have more fun.  Looking forward to the future DLC installments as well.  I am sure patches will be made and this game will only continue to get better.

I like the game but hate how confusing the areas are and the map doesn't really help much. I'm also finding the text really small and I know I'm blind but geez it's impossible to see playing split screen. My bf and I had to move the couch to be a foot away from the tv (smaller tv doesn't help). It will never touch B2 in my eyes.