Not played an FF game in years

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone, 

For a while I was debating getting FFXV, but then found out you can no longer get the 100% trophy completion without being some kind of tech whizz and messing with files and such. So that game got put off. Plus even the most die-hard FF fans seem to be very marmite about it. 

Now when I was a teen and played FFVII, I will be honest and say that I played it with some sort of cheat machine device and so that was the only reason I completed it. Loved the story back then but not sure if its held up well. Might get it, might not. 

Never played FFVIII but with the remaster now out I was tempted. But all I keep seeing is people saying that you get punished by some 'draw' system. Dunno about that so will keep an eye on it. 

Then I remember playing an FF game where your character was a teen boy with grey hair but cannot remember what number that was of if it was even an FF game. 

I then played 10 but again I think I used to a cheat engine thing just to get through it. 

It was the PS3/360 era where I truly got into gaming though and also the trophy/achievement system, and with that in mind I would now like to try a bash at playing an FF game without being a cheating sombitch :D

Now I cannot remember a lot about 10 other than that I really enjoyed it, so if I played it again and in a legit proper way it would no doubt be a whole new experience for me. So would you guys recommend this or has the remaster done nothing to show the age of the game compared to others. Sorry if this was a load of old tosh to read. 

Hey there Dave! I will say Final Fantasy X is my favourite game of all time so I will say go for the remaster of X as they did a bloody great job with it. I've also 100% FFXV and all I can stay it's not for everyone and I'm one of them people. If you want a honest original Final Fantasy we have VII,VIII, IX, X, XII and XIII. XV really moves away from what made Final Fantasy well Final Fantasy, some people love the game but it really wasn't received well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Then I remember playing an FF game where your character was a teen boy with grey hair but cannot remember what number that was of if it was even an FF game. 

May it be Final Fantazy XII? You can get The Zodiac Age edition on PS4. It's a solid game, if you are used to turn based combat and character job mechanics.

• Like 1

I never played the original FFX on PS2, but would recommend the remaster to just about everyone. It's a wonderful game that hasn't aged at all (voice acting aside). IMO even the graphics still hold pretty well for a game released in 2001.

Edited by AFRising
  • Like 2

Ok I'll tackle this in the best way I can

You can play 7,8,and 9 on ps4 there all about 20 dollars apiece and none are difficult just time consuming and you get boosters that help with anything you could have troubles with

As for 8 punishing you for draws no not really just draw what you think you will need especially the summons the rest you can basically ignore there's afew magics you will want like death, meltdown, aura, and the aga magics but otherwise you can go full physical and be fine heck the draw mechanic is actually in my opinion better than regular magic cause u won't run out of mp u can just draw and cast 

Final fantasy with grey haired teen boy hmm possibly final fantasy 6 do you remember if there was a green haired girl and mechs?

Honestly and it's just my opinion but I found 10 and 12 to be the worst of the final fantasy games 13 was meh 13-2lightning returns where ok if confusing. And 15 was actually really good but the dlc stuff gets really frustrating

Final Fantasy X is probably the worst FF. The main characters (Tidus and Yuna) are insufferable. The story is bad and delivered even worse. There's not really any "dialogues" in the game just each character making short quips at each other.

The only thing it's going for it is Blitzball and FFX-2 being bundled with it. If there was a Blitzball or FFX-2 stand-alone game I'd recommend those over this. (Disclaimer FFX-2's story is probably just as weak as FFX, but the gameplay is much better. It does have it's downsides like lutycer tower though.)

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Final Fantasy II? I mean the REAL Final Fantasy II, the one with Firion and Emperor Mateus, non Final Fantasy IV.

• Like 1

I have X on PS2, Vita, and PS3. I recommend it if you like RPGs and really need a game to start with in the FF series. The story was interesting. Make sure to save before attempting the final fight but if you do continue on bring some Phoenix Downs. :)

The graphics were a huge step up with the remaster. The trophies are fair although, the Chocobo Trainer and Dodging Lightning Strikes can tear your hair out. The Chocobo Trainer scored 0.0.00 on me on the PS2, it is not a moment that I want to relive.

The Remaster is pretty much the International version of the game that North America never got to experience.

The Dark Aeons are a great challenge and I recommend not cheating the win with Yojimbo unless you plan on grinding Dark Matter in the cave. Penance was an intense fight that made Nemesis seem kind of underwhelming in comparison. With Dark Matter you can make your own custom weapons that surpass the ones you get in the game. The new sphere system makes less work of the prior one but it is fun maxing your stats all over again. 

Brb, gonna go reconnect my PS2.

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666
  • Like 1

I haven't played the FFX remaster yet (I plan to go on an FF binge in a few months where I'll be playing 7-12.)

I can say though that FFX on Ps2 is probably in my top 5 for games ever. Me and my brother played the blitzball mini game for probably a hundred hours or more. Who knows how much time we spent on the main game. Story is amazing as well. 

Edited by Joker-Kun890

FFX was my first Final Fantasy game. At first I hated it- it was my first time with a turn based RPG and I ultimately had to restart the game several times before beating it years later for the first time. All that time with it has made it one of my favorite games of all time and getting the platinum was very satisfying. 

The platinum is a grind with all the stat maxing you have to do for the Dark Aeons, Penance, and Monster Arena. Blitzball can be really enjoyable but tedious at the same- it comes in waves. There are several other minigames as well that can drive you up the wall but with patience and perseverance are doable. 

I look forward to replaying FFX-2 but don't know I'll get the platinum for it what with having to reach 100% completion, closest I came to it back in the day on PS2 was like 96%.

You absolute awesome bunch of rockers! Do you all work at Square Enix or something?

In all my years of using forums, I don't think I have ever been in a thread where people have responded with so much help, advice and general interest. Its actually rather unsettling lol. 

But thanks for all the positives and stuff for FF. I think I will indeed get FFX, and at the moment its on the Big in Japan sales so you get that and X-2 for £14.99. And after googling, the game I couldn't remember was indeed FFXII Zodiac. 

Basically I wanted a damn good FF game to see me through until Yakuza 3, 4 &  5 collection has been released so X & X-2 should probably do just the job. Much appreciation guys. 

Now be on standby for my 'WHAT IN THE CRAZY WORLD OF F**K AM I SUPPOSED TO DOING' thread for FFX. Later chaps & chapettes.  

Ok guys...

After all the awesome comments I went and bought the FFX +FFX-2 collection. Now at the start it has FFX and FFX-2 but also two extra modes, are these expansions and if so are trophies relating to them included within the main trophy list. Also - When starting FFX it asks to choose standard or expert grid, should i just go with expert?

Gonna play it next week when I have time off from work. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Ok guys...

After all the awesome comments I went and bought the FFX +FFX-2 collection. Now at the start it has FFX and FFX-2 but also two extra modes, are these expansions and if so are trophies relating to them included within the main trophy list. Also - When starting FFX it asks to choose standard or expert grid, should i just go with expert?

Eternal Calm is a movie that takes place after FFX IIRC, and the other is a spin off for X2. You'll probably want to play standard sphere grid if it's your first time, as that way the game railroads you into using characters in their correct roles, unlike in the expert grid which lets you bring characters wherever you want pretty easy which could leave you with characters with no specific role if you don't know what you're doing.

38 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Ok guys...

Good buy! It’s my second favorite FF, nothing can ever top FF7, but it has aged the best. Always pick the standard grid. It’s bigger so at the end game you can build a stronger party than with the expert grid. Enjoy!

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

3 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Eternal Calm is a movie that takes place after FFX IIRC, and the other is a spin off for X2. You'll probably want to play standard sphere grid if it's your first time, as that way the game railroads you into using characters in their correct roles, unlike in the expert grid which lets you bring characters wherever you want pretty easy which could leave you with characters with no specific role if you don't know what you're doing.

3 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Good buy! It’s my second favorite FF, nothing can ever top FF7, but it has aged the best. Always pick the standard grid. It’s bigger so at the end game you can build a stronger party than with the expert grid. Enjoy!

Glad I asked about the grid. I would have assumed expert would have been the choice to make. Cheers guys. 

Really looking forward to starting this. I will aim for 100% trophy completion and I know there is a guide on here, but do you know if there is a sort of roadmap in which shows you when best to go for each trophy, a sort of 'do this trophy first, then this one, then this etc etc'. The game seems massive and I don't want to miss a trophy 60+ hours in or something like that. 

18 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Glad I asked about the grid. I would have assumed expert would have been the choice to make. Cheers guys. 

Really looking forward to starting this. I will aim for 100% trophy completion and I know there is a guide on here, but do you know if there is a sort of roadmap in which shows you when best to go for each trophy, a sort of 'do this trophy first, then this one, then this etc etc'. The game seems massive and I don't want to miss a trophy 60+ hours in or something like that. 

Only a few of the Al Bhed Primers are missable but I do suggest doing the following things: Minor spoilers btw.

1:Learn the Jecht shot at the first possiblity. I think the first chance is on the boat to either Kilika or Luca. (It’s been a while since I played this game, but it’s pretty obvious when you can learn it) It makes Blitzball a lot easier.

2: Complete all Cloister of Trials and get the rewards of every destruction sphere. Otherwise you have to get back to them at the end game but some are blocked by Dark Aeons. (Which takes a lot of leveling your characters to beat)

3: Follow a guide to get all Al Bhed Primers.

Apart from this you should play the game blind. It’s more fun to explore things on your own instead of following a guide. Good luck!

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

36 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

What the other guy said, don’t continue any of the cloisters until you’re sure you’ve used the destruction sphere or else you’ll have to come back later

Al Bhed primers have a few that I think are completely missable but not entirely sure, I think the ones in the location Home might be, better to just use a guide for them

Couldn't resist not at least starting the game so had an ickle taste this morning. 

Saved when you get to the Albhed ship, will play again at weekend. So in terms of the overdrive thing, I take it this is gain from battles and you should save them for more important fights? I screwed up the tutorial ones as I wasn't expecting a mini game attached to them, but I also think its kind of cool .

Typically speaking, yes save overdrives for bosses and tougher enemies. One thing to keep in mind is how you are charging your overdrives as well. Early on in the game you can only charge up by taking damage but over time you will unlock different ways to fill it up. I.e. Deal damage "Warrior", kill a monster "Slayer," heal a teammate "Healer," etc. I forgot what the game refers to them as but there are like 20 of them - some better than others at charging the overdrive gauge. I bring them up so you know to change from "Default" after you start unlocking them.  

On a side note it is recommended to get 999 kills with all characters with physical kills for the Don Tonberry AP trick for stat maxing - though this is not mandatory,  it just makes it faster. PS I am 99% sure magic kills don't count hence why I said physical. 

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Typically speaking, yes save overdrives for bosses and tougher enemies. One thing to keep in mind is how you are charging your overdrives as well. Early on in the game you can only charge up by taking damage but over time you will unlock different ways to fill it up. I.e. Deal damage "Warrior", kill a monster "Slayer," heal a teammate "Healer," etc. I forgot what the game refers to them as but there are like 20 of them - some better than others at charging the overdrive gauge. I bring them up so you know to change from "Default" after you start unlocking them.  

On a side note it is recommended to get 999 kills with all characters with physical kills for the Don Tonberry AP trick for stat maxing - though this is not mandatory,  it just makes it faster. PS I am 99% sure magic kills don't count hence why I said physical. 

Awesome info!

Cheers for that man. Had no idea that the earlier overdrives are done by taking damage and not dishing it.