RUMOR: E3 2020 changing format

MidnightDragon

E3 2020 may ditch the traditional format to become a festival of sorts. There are plans to court influencers and paid celebrities. Also they plan on using passes to register for demos and queue entertainment.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/e3-2020-reportedly-may-become-a-festival-with-queuetainment-and-disney-fastpass-style-system

That sounds fucking stupid! 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3

I think some people may be confused. From what I gather - the press conferences will still take place, just like every year. So Bethesda, EA, MS, Sony, Nintendo, Ubisoft, PC, and Devolver will be the same. But the actual event people attend will be reorganised into a more user-friendly layout and experience, with set times so you're not queuing up all day and other events and things to do in-between gaming.

Don't forget, E3 isn't just the conferences, it's also a big convention for showing off games over a number of days. 

The thing is, up until a few years ago, the event was mainly press - now the public can pay and enter most areas as well. So, it's shifting the focus from press and reporters and onto the consumer and entertainment side. Personally, I don't mind the shift and I imagine it'll probably attract more people and enhance the experience of people going to it. I just don't see whatever choices they make affecting the press conferences before the main event begins.

• Like 4

A lot of people are fast to throw away E3 as been dead, Pointless or irreverent but I think the games industry would be in a worse place without it. It always creates a buzz that nothing else has managed to do and brings gaming into the limelight, You don't just get the E3 booths but just a whole lot of publishers just drop gaming news during that week all feeds off each other.

I for one will continue to look forward to E3 each year and all the buzz and news it brings along with it.

• Like 2

I guess they didn't pay attention to the fact that E3 [and the VGAs] cringe compilations generally include the shill celebrities and "influencers"... if all they want is to make sure they get more meme'd then I guess this is a good decision. If they want to stop their fall into irrelevancy, that's not really going to help though. Memes don't pay the bills.

Just now, Obscure_Ale said:

A lot of people are fast to throw away E3 as been dead, Pointless or irreverent but I think the games industry would be in a worse place without it. It always creates a buzz that nothing else has managed to do and brings gaming into the limelight, You don't just get the E3 booths but just a whole lot of publishers just drop gaming news during that week all feeds off each other.

I for one will continue to look forward to E3 each year and all the buzz and news it brings along with it.

Publishers can just drop news anyway. Why waste all this money on shitty E3? Just dump the info out online.

Most of the news gets leaked before E3 anyway, so we know it all beforehand. Big woop.

• Like 2

Nintendo has the right idea - make a video about what you have coming up, cut out all the fluff, and just tell us what we want to know. No need for these conferences to get cringey and self-congratulatory speeches from industry execs, while trying their hardest to bullshit us in front of press/fanboys that'll cheer even when the worst shite comes on stage and screen. It's an outdated event, at least from a consumer POV. What was suggested in OP's post, however, is a definite step backwards... yikes. I hope they have enough sense not to do that.

• Like 3

I stopped caring a decade ago.

E3 was a lot better 10 - 15 years ago because a lot less people had quick internet access and they were good about showcasing the latest games, namely Assassins Creed, Uncharted and God of War 3.

Nowadays I basically get everything through leaks on Reddit or some news organization that already has a cover on one of the latest games. By the time E3 showcases the games they've already been shown somewhere on the internet.

Pretty soon it will be just as irrelevant as MTV, and then people will stop caring about it.

• Like 1

LOL. I thought that E3 would go back to what it was in the past - a demo for retailers and a meet-and-greet for developers and publishers. I went back in the late 90s in Atlanta, and it was great. You didn't have the clapping seals in the audience then. Instead, you had working demos for serious folks who wanted more than a glorified trailer. There were presentations, but the audience was serious, since they were expected to part with their money.

E3 can't compete with propaganda promos from developers. Why put on a show at E3 when you can just do so in a controlled environment like Nintendo Direct or Sony State of Play? 

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. I thought that E3 would go back to what it was in the past - a demo for retailers and a meet-and-greet for developers and publishers. I went back in the late 90s in Atlanta, and it was great. You didn't have the clapping seals in the audience then. Instead, you had working demos for serious folks who wanted more than a glorified trailer. There were presentations, but the audience was serious, since they were expected to part with their money.

The internet was a lot less accessible back then. The best you could get was DSL, whereas you had to settle with dial-up. My dad worked with a lot of tech guys at Hewlett-Packard back in the 1990s and they basically brought him up to speed with computers. 

Now with smartphones being able to do everything and individual companies having superior shows, there’s no way E3 can compete on a competitive level anymore. Anything that is revealed there I just whip it up somewhere on the internet and I already got my info. 

E3 feels every bit as fake as the MTV Music Awards. Other shows like the Grammy Award Shows have declined over the years. Full of fake people who are there to watch a glorified cinematic trailer of a game. The same type of people who buy a game at midnight launch, rush home and play the story, then put it back on the shelf and never touch it again. 

• Like 2

I could care no less about E3. And it's not like these changes will help. Influencers and celebrities? I see where this is going and I don't like it. The Queuetainment idea sounds lame. Access to consumer data captured through an app? Just no. The internet has sure been a game-changer and I feel that it makes E3 irrelevant. Downloading a demo over PSN/Xbox Live sounds more appealing than waiting in a line to play it on the E3 floor.

• Like 1

It won't be cheap to get the celebrities to show up at the event. I'm sure the cost for that would get passed on to... well, who else? Right, you're it. So... your ticket price would probably go up $15-25 to help defray the appearance fees. Is that really necessary? I don't think so.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge