PS3 to PS4 - Easier Games, Less Difficult Trophies

AJ_Radio

Supposedly it's because developers wanted people to play their multiplayer games for longer periods of time, possibly in order to keep the online player population high?

Single player games have gotten easier with every console generation. I think it's because as gaming has become more normalized as a hobby, developers try to cater to a broader crowd.

BTW, how hard was Super Meat Boy for you?

Yes I’ve noticed this a lot lately, especially in the last year. You still get some really difficult and rare platinums like Black Ops 4 and Wolfenstein 2. But games these days seem to be less MP focused than on PS3. 

PS3 games such as Far Cry 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 1and so on just had ridiculous trophies where you need to boost online kills for what seemed like forever. But I can’t even remember the last game since KZ Shadowfall to have this sort of trophy list. 

Im probably in the minority where I like online trophies, providing they’re not like the games in paragraph above, ones where you’re able to just play it out at your own pace are fine with me. I wish games these days would have some more challenging SP trophies and non-tedious MP trophies. For example I see Far Cry Primal has a permadeath mode, but no trophy attached to it, wasted opportunity I think.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Since lately I've returned to the PS3 backloggery , I honestly couldn't agree more with your statement.

Not to say that there aren't games that are a pain to platinum on PS4( apart from small games like Slain : Back from Hell , Injustice 2, Bloodborne and DMC5 were pretty pain-inducing plats) HOWEVER compared to PS3... not even close. Some PS3 trophies remind me of the glorious Steam Achievements where you almost have to sacrifice your neighbour for an achievement.

Just to give a proper example ... Demon's Souls vs Dark souls 3/ Sekiro. Any of it works.

While DS3 and Sekiro aren't the easiest of games ( you need an NG+ run at least for each of them and for a newcomer they will absolutely whoop your ass) the trophies are...pretty straightforward. Kill this, gather that , rings can be traded, farm level Y . Plain and easy. Yeah...good luck with that on Demon's Souls. Game is a pain even with a guide ( nobody mentions that Black Phantom Satsuki will destroy your sorry ass unless you have a greatsword). Without a guide...figuring out World Tendencies and Character Tendencies is horrendous. Even Dark Souls 1 was difficult with all the upgrade paths and figuring stuff out.

Example 2 : As @Spaz mentioned , God of War . God of War 2018 is a very good game ( I personally love it alot) however trophy wise the hardest trophy was...idk finding all those ravens? Compared to the first God of War and its absurd challenge of the gods, GOW 2018 felt like a walk in the park. Or GoW 3 on Titan Mode , whoowhee that one was a challenge! 

Also fighting games! Injustice 1, MK9, Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 , Skullgirls 2nd Encore , holy mama those are crazy to platinum. Mad respects for the skilled ones that do that , I suck at those apart from Guilty Gear. But the latest ones.... MK11 , Samurai Shodown , Tekken 7... finish the campaign, play some onlinery , do a stupidly easy cheesy survival mode and poof platinum. THEY ARE NOT BAD GAMES JUST EASY PLATINUMS ( somehow I feel the need to mention this at every paragraph in case people would misunderstand my words, Samurai Shodown is a very good fighting game)

There's more examples but it will take alot of space to waste just to cover them. One thing is for sure : I am playing some games on PS3 as of late and boy getting all them trophies is a blast(Call of Juarez Bound in Blood is a perfect example, that multiplayer was friggin godlike , the most fun I've ever had in a long while while going for them money) . On PS4 I feel that thrill only with games faithful to the franchise (mmm...DMC5... S rank on everything) or games that are straight up ported from PC xD (Hey there Mount and Blade Warband). 

However... I don't really mind it. Sure the plats are easier but the games themselves are pretty good. I mean, ok God of War is easy to plat however do yourself a favour and play it on Give me God of War challenge. Oh how it will challenge you ,that mode. Sure if one goes only for the platinum then the view about the game quality might be abit distorted but...game ain't only about the platinum.  

At least that's my opinion :P 

You forgot Persona 4 Arena on ps3. 

But hardest fighting game is on Ps4. 

Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai. That one is hardest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vergil said:

You forgot Persona 4 Arena on ps3. 

But hardest fighting game is on Ps4. 

Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai. That one is hardest.

I guess xD I don't usually touch games whose names I can't even pronounce right. Just picking out the main meaty ones , because I bet out there there are several obscure japanese fighting games on PS4 ported from arcade only in japan that asks you to defeat 30000 opponents in a row while in ranked match (for a measly bronze trophy) which would put any PS3 list to shame. Japan is magical at pulling those kinds of stuff.

• Like 1

Yes, it's something I definitely noticed during this gen. It's not always connected to the online or lack thereof but it has  its part for sure. As gaming becomes less physical and more digital (for example I only have three physical ps4 games, when the previous gen most of my stuff was physical, since ps3 store lacks a good deal of digital titles) developers are less likely to add trophies that avoid for someone to sell the game used after completion like they did in the past with 10,000 kills trophies, connect 6 months later in Crysis 2 etc, though you still  have some scumbags like the devs. of Dragonball Fighterz,  but it goes beyond online, I remember a Square Enix interview talking exactly how back in the ps2 gen games they made were overly long and cryptic, and how things have changed now, and if you look at Final Fantasy 15 to previous entries you see the difference,  or even Bloodborne,  much more straightforward than Demon's Souls. Games seem to have taken a shift with them being more "accessible" and shorter, as the medium needs to account the increase of people interested (and the money they give in).

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

I also thought about doing a thread about this!

I feel the same way. I have been playing a lot of AC games this year and the older ones, with the 100% sync requirement, were much more respectful platinums than the more recent ones. 

Trophy hunting became much easier with the PS4. The PS3 and even the Vita have much more demanding trophy lists. Nowadays, most PS4 games that come out have incredibly straightforward platinums, although at least somewhat time-consuming. I miss difficulty-related trophies as part of the main game list. On God of War 2018 this was especially disappointing. The game is great and it would definitely deserve a trophy for finishing it on a higher difficulty setting.

I can’t explain why this happens, but it’s definitely a trend. Trophy hunting is definitely a more accessible hobby than it was in the past.

I hope TLoU II has a somewhat challenging platinum, with difficulty-related and online trophies, like the first game! I am planning on making it my 175th platinum, if it indeed releases in February!

• Like 1

Most PS3 games with "rare" or "uncommon" platinums are not that hard or challenging, at least not intrinsically, but more like because of lack of stable framerate and quality of life features.

But yes, I kind of feel it too. Most "rare" or "uncommon" platinums on PS4 are just time consuming (any challenge can be overcome with grinding). I can't find a really nice sweet spot, where the platinum requires a fair deal of skill, a little bit of completionism, but nothing too insane. Something like Uncharted 2 or Resident Evil: Revelations. A chill playthrough on the first weekend + a really intense cleanup on the second (or a really intense playthrough + chill cleanup) is a good formula, but nothing hits it quite right. I used to do this with all Uncharteds and Ratchets, and it was just right.

5 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

tl;dr trophy whores & shovel ware = $$$

I play shovelware on my Vita because there's nothing else at the moment that I can play for 5-10 minutes while commuting that yields rewards in a reasonable timeframe. When I have a longer commute, I work on my longer Vita games, but I just can't find anything meaningful and straightforward (no missables / looking at a walkthrough when playing a handheld is just meh).

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

I play shovelware on my Vita because there's nothing else at the moment that I can play for 5-10 minutes while commuting that yields rewards in a reasonable timeframe. When I have a longer commute, I work on my longer Vita games, but I just can't find anything meaningful and straightforward (no missables / looking at a walkthrough when playing a handheld is just meh).

Another thing to keep in mind is that tracking on newer games is shit versus older games. Esp since Sly wasn't updating anyone for awhile or wtfever?

RIP my baby Vita Q_Q

1 minute ago, mako-heart said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that tracking on newer games is shit versus older games. Esp since Sly wasn't updating anyone for awhile or wtfever?

RIP my baby Vita Q_Q

Didn't experience anything like this, although there are some weird trophy popping glitches (like popping twice or popping but then disappearing from my list). I still have a great deal of games to play on Vita, but it's not a very good platform, with loading times and framerate being sometimes ridiculous on third party games (that I'd enjoy), some of them even drain the battery in an hour, while others last for 4, etc. 

It is kind of noticable. It's been mentioned before, gaming is reaching a bigger audience nowadays, so maybe developers try to keep everybody happy by lowering difficulty. That might be a reason why new game+ on a higher difficulty is part of DLC nowadays, which used to be part of the main list with older games on PS3. Ofcourse there's still new games that have that from launch. Maybe difficulty has also to do with originality? Which I feel is less present on current gen than on previous generations.

I also feel that as soon as games are labelled as too hard there's enough people complaining and demanding change from the developers end. Happened a couple of times. Think of Killzone Shadowfall and more recently Crash Bandicoot. 

I don't mind harder games and trophies from time to time. I complain about them to my friends, but never have I felt privileged to complain towards developers to change stuff. But that might be something for a different topic.

• Like 1

I have noticed this trend in some of the recent PS4 instalments from my favourite franchises (Dead or Alive, Mirror's Edge, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, for example). However, as a previous poster said, if hard trophies are what you primarily play for, then they are out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

Another angle to consider is that platinum 'difficulty' is entirely subjective. If you are playing a game that is considered by the majority to be of a high difficulty solely because you want the bragging rights for that platinum, then you are going to have a much harder and more frustrating time trying to obtain that platinum than someone that genuinely enjoys everything that makes that game what it is.

Edited by SukkarPunch
  • Like 4

Definitely seems to be the case. I’ve recently noticed this with Metro: Last Light Redux. It’s PS3 counterpart seems like a much more challenging platinum, with a trophy for beating it on the hardest (maybe second hardest?) difficulty, as well as going through the entire campaign without killing another human unless forced to. The PS4 version tasks you instead with obtaining both good and bad endings, which you can both do on Normal difficulty which provides next to no challenge. I’ve already added the PS3 version to my wishlist on psprices.

It’s not always a bad thing though. Take a look at one of your examples, inFamous. The original had 250 blast shards to collect, which require you to meticulously follow a collectible map while ticking off each one as you go to ensure you don’t mess up. Fast forward to Second Son and collectables are marked on the mini-map and ticked off as you go. For me this is a welcome change.

Intersting topic for sure.

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more. I have had the same thoughts for quite some time. The reasons for this are pretty simple. Just look on the Wolfenstein games. In this site 195.000 own the first game (New Order). It has a pretty easy plat (6/10, 20 hours). On the other hand, The New Colossus which is a better game than the first, only has 65.000 owners. That's 1/3 of the original one. The only reason i see for this happening is that trophy hunters avoided that game because they couldnt get the platinum! Even me! (although I will platinum it, its on my to do list). So why would a company put a hard trophy to give to die-hard fans a challenge and have sth to boast about, and have 130.000 less sales (that is 130.000 * 30 euros average price = 3900000)? Just for a stupid trophy? It doesnt make sense. So, they make easy trophylists with around 50 hours to achieve the plat, because 100+ hour plats will also make the trophy hunters reluctant.

Edited by karpathoulas667

The hardest platinums or 100% are on PS4. I feel the difficulty of AAA games on PS4 is about the same as it was on PS3. So that means gaming has gotten harder? (I’m just ignoring the EZPZ trash that’s out there)